Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM

423 posts, read 1,532,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Only if there isnt an afterlife , which millions have testified there is based on N.D.E.'s ; and Jesus...the worlds foremost teacher on morals and ethics...said theres not only an afterlife, but he will be mankinds final Judge. For the unrepentant, death is only the beginning of things to worry about.
Prove it, foremost spreader of lies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:01 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Prove it, foremost spreader of lies
Prove he's wrong.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:27 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
REPLY: Only if there isnt an afterlife , which millions have testified there is based on N.D.E.'s ; and Jesus...the worlds foremost teacher on morals and ethics...said theres not only an afterlife, but he will be mankinds final Judge. For the unrepentant, death is only the beginning of things to worry about.
I think the odds of there being an after life are small enough to ignore. The odds of this after life existing as described by Christian mythology are even smaller still. I'll take my chances.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Prove he's wrong.
That easy; The world's condition prove there's no God.

Where was this joker on Dec 7th 1941 in Hawaii?

Where was this cosmic boogeyman on 911? ( more people gave up there joke faith that day)

Where was this specter during all the slaughters in Africa?

If he's our father he sure the hell behind in child support for being away forever.

You can counter all you want lost one your not going to convince anyone using the fear factor ever or your joke comebacks.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
I had a friend who, while in a coma, saw demons and angels fighting over him for his soul...
Yeah, morphine'll do that to ya.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Yeah, morphine'll do that to ya.
I was going to say the same thing and notice it's always someone else not ever first hand experience

Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
I seemed to find this conflicting statement of his last words:

Voltaire - on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan
- "Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies"

Plus, not everyone on that list was an athiest- How about doing your homework before posting such drivel.

But again, your point was just to scare people into believing, which is what most religion is based on. Fear
REPLY: If you are asserting that Voltaire wasnt an atheist, you should know he was one of the most ardent atheists ever to live ! He is commonly known to have said :'The Bible will be extinct within 3 decades' (today, his very house is one of the largest Bible Distribution Centers to the world.). .

Christians arent out to 'scare people into believing in thier Faith' ; what do you think we gain from doing so ; a commision check on the last Friday of each month from Heaven ?! What you fail to realize is that you are heading for a very regretful end ; I tell you this because Jesus Christ, the worlds best teacher on moral and ethics and in whom no sin could be found, said unless you stop distancing yourself from God and his free mercy and forgiveness in Christ, you will suffer for that eternal crime. Implying Jesus Christ is a big Liar and Fraud is indeed, very risky with immense implications.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
I always thought that the Christian view on NDE is that it is a bunch of hog-wash. Guess I was wrong.

Your last sentence is what really gets my nerve regarding Christianity and why I can't accept it as any thing more then 'someone' using fear tactics to control someone else.

No, my life is not without sin, but I can't accept that someone as unselfish and forgiving as Jesus, let alone 'someone' whom is 'all loving' as God would be so cruel as to condemn me to an eternity simply because I do not accept that Jesus died for my sins.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Thats pretty much the feeling I got from Ibedavid's choice of quotes. Specially 4, 7 and 8. The torments of hell? Atheist dying is horrific compared to a theist dying? please

I really want to know what the purpose of this thread is. In English analysis we have pee(Point Explain Evidence). You make a point, bring in evidence(ie the quotes) and explain how the point compliments the evidence. No point and no explanation here leading me to believe this was done not with the intention of starting a discussion but rather to get inflammatory responses

It doesn't even have to be that far into their deathbed. You are in the hospital, given the horrible news that you will die in 6 months. Atheist or not, at one point you will(briefly or otherwise) consider other choices.

very true
Yes, I agree with you coos.

I guess I took it that the purpose of thread was the OP attempting to prove in some way that we all repent our sins and go over to god in the end. Of course I completely disagree as usual, but there's nothing new there.

As for getting inflammatory about it, I really couldn't be bothered to be honest. Even I don't know what I'm going to do, say or think on my death bed, the same as everybody else. None of us know exactly how, when, where or why we die, let alone what we'll be thinking when it happens.

It always astounds me though this sense of entitlement that some people seem to feel over other's internal lives, well their lives in general really. What impact really does it have on me and my life if a religious person feels closer to God on their deathbed and that they're convinced that they are going to Heaven or whatever it is that they believe? It would always be my intention to respect the beliefs of others or non beliefs. I guess I could stand over someone's death bed and ask, "So where's your God now?" and other useless, unhelpful and frankly disrespectful questions but that's not really me. What I believe just is and I have no desire to "convert" anyone or go running around with the "I told you so's" or dire warnings.

When I die, hopefully there'll be no evangelical types around so my whole life isn't pathetically misrepresented by the wishful thinking of a person less concerned about me than one could possibly be.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:59 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Quote:
=IbeDavid;3787095]REPLY: If you are asserting that Voltaire wasnt an atheist, you should know he was one of the most ardent atheists ever to live !
No I didn't say that- I said some on the list were not athiests. Did I say Voltaire? I simply refuted what you posted about his last words-If I had time, I'm sure I could refute the rest of them as well. Your post was bogus.

Quote:
Christians arent out to 'scare people into believing in thier Faith
Oh sure an eye roll is about all I can muster here. I've read your posts, pretty much all you (and many others) do is tell people they are going to burn in hell.

Quote:
what do you think we gain from doing so
That's a wonderful question... I'd love to know.

Quote:
What you fail to realize is that you are heading for a very regretful end ; I tell you this because Jesus Christ, the worlds best teacher on moral and ethics and in whom no sin could be found, said unless you stop distancing yourself from God and his free mercy and forgiveness in Christ, you will suffer for that eternal crime.
No, you don't use fear do you?! Actually, I distance myself from people from like you- So you are saying that the millions who practice other religions that may not worship "your biblical god" are all doomed to hell right?

Quote:
Implying Jesus Christ is a big Liar and Fraud is indeed, very risky with immense implications.
Wrong again... you're the bigger fraud here.

Last edited by PixiStix; 05-16-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality