Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 04:44 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Family visits to other family members on
Holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas appreciate
the thoughtfulness of gifts. For me Sunday is always a
Blessed Holiday......and therefore come bearing gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 08:30 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
The parable of the young rich man suggests that the church asking for money is not only biblically sound, but asking for everything is biblically sound.

Jesus also said to pay your taxes to Caesar.

So between taxes and tithes, there's not much left. And if you try to withhold some for yourself, then there's the story of Ananias and Sapphira.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:19 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebridius View Post
If the church building is not maintained, would having a church service outside in winter be an option?
In the south, maybe.

But some people do meet in houses, and in inner cities, you often see small churches set up in storefronts.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:28 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are always choices for you to make.
I knew someone in college who lived in a Buddhist temple for a semester (his parents wanted him to be in an austere environment to focus on his studies, and perhaps to be immersed in their traditional faith). He was under the tutelage of a monk.

The monk had a nice apartment and drove a Lexus SUV.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:47 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And the sex scandals? You didn't notice that?

I really wish people would stop with the sex scandals. That is a lie by the fake news just to slander the Catholic Church. I've been a Catholic all my life and never once was there such a scandal with ANY priest I've encountered.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:21 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I really wish people would stop with the sex scandals. That is a lie by the fake news just to slander the Catholic Church. I've been a Catholic all my life and never once was there such a scandal with ANY priest I've encountered.
Oh my. It has been documented extensively in multiple countries.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:38 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Jesus' way always worked as far as getting together and having "church"; it was always open and free. People got together outside, or in someone's home, and there were never any reasons for building committees and finances.

That was the intention, to keep it simple, community-based, and free, so the focus could always be on what is above and of the spiritual, and not on the grounded, the material, and the worldly. But many church-goers and religionists can't resist playing games of rules and regulations and committees and moneys and hierarchies and building and walls and agendas. Just forget whatever Jesus simply instructed, and complicate matters all to hell.
I have some friends who are in the Bahá’í faith who claim that they do not put their money into buildings but rather for service to the world. They take turns hosting small services in their homes and are active community volunteers.

The Catholic church used to sell Indulgences to support themselves and make the rich feel good at the same time. It is nothing new, but there is a difference between keeping the lights on and accumulating wealth for their own glory.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I know someone it happened to when we were young. It affected him all his life, and he killed himself last year. Another guy we went to school with was sent to the priest when he was caught.with beer, but he left when the priest took off his clothes.

Priest was eventually defrocked after he was moved to a juvy delinquent facility and molested boys there. This went on for 40 years before he was finally brought on charges.

To your point, such priests are still in the minority, but the Church's sin was covering it up and protecting the priests, not the kids.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:32 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know someone it happened to when we were young. It affected him all his life, and he killed himself last year. Another guy we went to school with was sent to the priest when he was caught.with beer, but he left when the priest took off his clothes.

Priest was eventually defrocked after he was moved to a juvy delinquent facility and molested boys there. This went on for 40 years before he was finally brought on charges.

To your point, such priests are still in the minority, but the Church's sin was covering it up and protecting the priests, not the kids.
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear. I guess I let myself get brainwashed by many of the priests that bring it up in my church and tell everyone how enraged they are that the media is slandering the church by overhyping the sex scandals.

Kind of makes me question whether I really should continue my loyalty to the Catholic church if this is how they behave. I wonder what drives priests, in particular, to commit such terrible acts?!

Old 11-05-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear. I guess I let myself get brainwashed by many of the priests that bring it up in my church and tell everyone how enraged they are that the media is slandering the church by overhyping the sex scandals.

Kind of makes me question whether I really should continue my loyalty to the Catholic church if this is how they behave. I wonder what drives priests, in particular, to commit such terrible acts?!
Maybe the priests should just tell the truth. The Church long participated in a coverup of sexual molestation of children by a small minority of priests, but it is doing what's right to correct that now (if that is the truth, which I think is the case).

I don't think the media necessarily "overhyped" as much as people took that small minority--which still came out to thousands of cases of molestation--and applied it across the board.

I am Episcopalian. Our priests marry and have families, but they wear collars similar to Catholic priests. A priest I know was walking through the train station in NYC holding hands with his young son and started to notice glares and dirty looks directed at him, and he knew why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality