Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 04:16 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
What choice is that? Build my own church?
If you did that, the expenses would be more evident. Sometimes people upgrade their environment in order to create a more pleasing atmosphere. If that is not a priority to you, perhaps a barebones church is a better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 06:47 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
That’s the thing. I understand the church needs funding for expenses, but I just think it’s a bit excessive. All they do is ask for money and all we do is give, and in the end, it’s still not enough. I just don’t get it.
You need to ask questions and/or get involved with that aspect of your church.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:31 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Just curious.
Churches do release year end or quarterly accounting disclosures, right?
And, to "build a church" you don't really need much to invest.
A large room and chairs from Offerup - and there you are. I know church like that. People come to share mutual interest. Not to pay for gold dripping dresses for priests.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:56 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just curious.
A large room and chairs from Offerup - and there you are. I know church like that. People come to share mutual interest. Not to pay for gold dripping dresses for priests.
Real churches (nonprofit) are not required to file yearly with the IRS, if they are truly using proceeds for non-profit activities.

It's when entities try to stash away funds that they have to report - like this one from Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, sneakily squirreling away a billion and a half $ in assets (box C).
- see for yourself, they can't hide it from uncle sam -

'INVESTMENT ACTIVITES' - that sure sounds like 'Jehovas' work'

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/c...2215185394.pdf

Old 11-03-2021, 07:29 PM

3,500 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just curious.
No, these people are priests. We should just trust them and so, they don’t need to disclose anything.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:03 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
No, these people are priests. We should just trust them and so, they don’t need to disclose anything.
Is that a joke?

Old 11-03-2021, 08:46 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Lightbulb.
I got it:
Why does the Catholic Church teach us to be humble and not materialistic, but then they always ask for money?

See, what I mean? They teach YOU to be humble and non materialistic. And what is the better course of action, if not to entrust THEM with your wealth?
They don't say a word about THEM being humble and non materialistic. Of course, there were certain monk congregations, that completely refused to have any possessions....but didn't their headquarters still end being rather well off?

Old 11-04-2021, 09:23 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
I'm a Catholic and go to church every Sunday, so I'm in no way trying put down the Catholic Church. I'm just trying to get an understanding of all this because I feel like all the church keeps doing is asking for money.

Priests like to preach about not being materialistic and all that, but they are constantly asking for money. Every week, we have two collections every Sunday at my church. And on top of that, we may have a third special collection once a month. And then we have an annual appeal from our diocese, of which we are strongly encouraged to give $150 or more. And on top of that, our pastor said that the church is in dire need to roof repairs and the boiler needs to be replaced. That would cost around $2 million, of which he will begin campaigning for in a few months.

I don't understand. I thought church is about praying and deepening our faith with God and not about money. So why does the church always ask for money?
Someone has to pay the bills. It costs money to heat, cool, pay for lights, etc. And clergy deserve a salary. They have to eat.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:46 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
I'm a Catholic and go to church every Sunday...I'm just trying to get an understanding of all this because I feel like all the church keeps doing is asking for money.

Priests like to preach about not being materialistic and all that, but they are constantly asking for money.
It's great that you notice and catch all of that.

Abandon failed institutions and people, and start following God. You can't change them, but you can change the path you're on. Life is short, so use it wisely by following what is above rather than below.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:56 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Abandon failed institutions and people, and start following God.
By what measure do you consider the Catholic Church to be a "failed institution"?

Also, specifically how do you view membership in the Catholic Church as being opposed to following God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality