Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 07:21 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

This thread is in response to the post "Why does the Catholic Church teach us to be humble and not materialistic, but then they always ask for money?"

My question here, however, is to christians (although it would fit other religions, as well, although not always to the same extent): Instead of 'going to church', why not be an independent christian? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that?

I have some thoughts, but I'd like to see where this goes -- if anyplace -- before I share more of what I'm thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 07:53 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
I would seem that a lot of the "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" types would already fit into that category. Meanwhile I would imagine that church going Christians would be skeptical of their status as a Christian.

It would seem though that with the amount of social media and Christian programming out there that it certainly would be possible for people to interact with others for the fellowship aspect that is issue in some churches.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:58 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
It's magnetic force, common to humans. They feel better, finding same minded ones. Call it herd instinct, or something.
Nothing in the bible of Jesus teaching indicates to go to church.

Matter of fact, Jesus himself tells to do just exactly the opposite - pray in the darkness and seclusion of one's home (in one's heart).

The Lord's Prayer
5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.…(what, to me, is reference to "speaking in tongues". And I witnessed just exactly that. That was quite a scary experience, and from the church elders)

Old 11-04-2021, 09:00 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It's magnetic force, common to humans. They feel better, finding same minded ones. Call it herd instinct, or something.

Matter of fact, Jesus himself tells to do just exactly the opposite - pray in the darkness and seclusion of one's home (in one's heart).

The Lord's Prayer
5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.…(what, to me, is reference to "speaking in tongues". And I witnessed just exactly that. That was quite a scary experience, and from the church elders)
Good post!

Old 11-04-2021, 09:02 PM

6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen.

If you think about it, it is exact description of meditation.
You go to a most secluded place in your house.
Inner room is your inner self
You shut your door - you close yourself to the outside world
And then you pray to the unseen.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:10 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Instead of 'going to church', why not be an independent christian? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that?
Great topic That's the only authentic way to go in today's atmosphere, being independent from modern mainstream "Christianity", and completely connected and in-line with genuine Christianity. No games or nonsense. If one is to align with something, it ought to be pure and consistent. No hypocrisy. I see many advantages and no disadvantages.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-04-2021 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-05-2021, 03:23 AM

299 posts, read 104,209 times
Quote:

Christianity did not exist at the time and so there were no "churches" per se to attend. Jesus was a devout religious Jew who performed the traditional observances. He went to temple and synagogue, where he sometimes taught lessons and was called rabbi. Nothing about him suggests that he would discourage attending houses of worship.

Quote:

He said don't pray in public; he didn't say don't worship in public.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:28 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,433 times
If you know, the church who is preaching this message is coming from a poor house effect? The only income they will be living on is donations from richer people. If they are rich, they certainly are not christians. That is from the bible too. I think it is in Mathew, King James bible. Something about a camel going through the eye of a needle. So they choose to live this way. Poor.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Christianity did not exist at the time and so there were no "churches" per se to attend. Jesus was a devout religious Jew who performed the traditional observances. He went to temple and synagogue, where he sometimes taught lessons and was called rabbi. Nothing about him suggests that he would discourage attending houses of worship.
He said don't pray in public; he didn't say don't worship in public.

Nothing of him suggests that he encouraged it too. From what I can telly, he got quite upset by what the house of god was turned into. Is that encouragement or discouragement?

What is in principle difference between pray and worship?

pray

/prā/
Learn to pronounce

verb
verb: pray; 3rd person present: prays; past tense: prayed; past participle: prayed; gerund or present participle: praying
address a solemn request or expression of thanks to a deity or other object of worship.

wor·ship

/ˈwərSHəp/
Learn to pronounce

See definitions in:
all religion

noun
noun: worship

the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

Seams about same to me?

Old 11-05-2021, 09:41 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This thread is in response to the post "Why does the Catholic Church teach us to be humble and not materialistic, but then they always ask for money?"

My question here, however, is to christians (although it would fit other religions, as well, although not always to the same extent): Instead of 'going to church', why not be an independent christian? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that?

I have some thoughts, but I'd like to see where this goes -- if anyplace -- before I share more of what I'm thinking.
Some people do. I have a friend who was ordained a deacon in the Episcopal Church about 7 years ago. She is since disillusioned with the organized church but her faith is strong. She took a sabbatical from her position and is a practicing Christian and seeking/finding others who have also left organized religion.

I know a former priest who renounced his vows and runs 12-step type groups, not for addicts, but for a way of living. He also practices Centering Prayer (a type of Christian meditation) and holds several CP groups for people who want to practice CP with others.

For many, it's a part of what is known as the Contemplative Christianity movement, and I think there are both types of people in it--those who practice on their own, and those who are part of a church community.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-05-2021 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality