Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 03:55 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Oh, the ways one must twist their minds to be religious .
Sad that you see it that way.

I think this helps me to get a better perspective on atheism. Just as the current scientific assumptions seem so self-evidentially obvious to you, as someone who is well-acquainted with them; that's how the existence of God seems to me.

From my perspective, my thought is "oh the ways one must twist their minds to be an atheist".

I know that you don't call yourself an atheist, but the principle remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 04:00 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

I think this helps me to get a better perspective on atheism. Just as the current scientific assumptions seem so self-evidentially obvious to you, as someone who is well-acquainted with them; that's how the existence of God seems to me.

From my perspective, my thought is "oh the ways one must twist their minds to be an atheist".

I find nothing sad about basing my world view on provable fact. You might try it sometime . Since I base my beliefs on established facts , we are miles apart . Science is based on observation, not faith in a book or religious teachers . That’s the beauty in science . It works. If it is found not to work, it is discarded .

Religion lacks the courage to test itself . Science is based completely on always testing itself to make sure it isn’t erring in some way. I’ll take that any day, thanks . Your faith, on the other hand, evidently precludes you from being able to admit that the Earth revolves around the Sun, unless I have missed a post in which you finally admitted this . No thanks . I have no interest in fooling myself because my faith requires it of me

Old 11-18-2021, 04:03 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So why is this discussion over the catholic church’s inquisition? Isn’t it a closed issue? It has admitted it was wrong, made a bad mistake. End pf story. Its members still see value in its teaching.
What is the point in opening up a closed story? I am reading an athiest-mystical masturbation..
You know this unreasonably extreme pseudo-tolerance you and Tzaph keep preaching is becoming quite annoying. Torquemada was not merely a bad mistake. His tortures and murders were unadulterated evil personified. Get real. They were a direct result of this unquestioning accession to the religious authority of the Catholic Church.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:04 PM

895 posts, read 475,811 times
Quote:
Here's what I was getting at...

Whatever they teach a 6th grader about the solar system (or any subject for that matter); is it a dogma that cannot be challenged or questioned? You seem to have taken offense that anything taught in 6th grade science might be questioned.
And when a non-believer questions the evidence that has lead a believer to their dogma, can it too not be challenged or questioned without offense?

Old 11-18-2021, 04:08 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:

That's fair enough actually.
It's only self evident if you have been taught it I suppose.

In Galileo's time it would have appeared that the sun revolved around the earth to them. It was a natural thing to think. The sun rose, moved across and fell everyday. Now we know better.

In my opinion, it's perfectly okay to accept scientific findings AND believe in god. That's one of the things I have learned from being on this forum.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:40 PM

33,231 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
1) Has the Catholic Church ever taught dogmatically, de fide, that the earth is the center of the solar system?
There's this.
Before we proceed, we see that in 1616 eleven theologian-qualifiers of the Holy Office condemned heliocentrism as heretical. This was not an ex cathedra pronouncement, for Pope Paul V did not solemnly promulgate this decision on his own authority. He didn’t even sign it, but it was done with his knowledge and approval. St. Robert Bellarmine, a Doctor of the Church, was also aware of and in agreement with the declaration of the eleven members of the Holy Office. St. Robert Bellarmine even informed Galileo of the Holy Office’s condemnation.

The Congregation of the Index (the Roman Congregation in charge of watching out for dangerous books) then published a decree on the order of Pope Paul V which forbade the circulation of heliocentric works for the reason that they are contrary to Holy Scripture. After the 1616 condemnation of heliocentrism and the decree which forbade works in favor of it, Galileo submitted to the decision. Galileo was also personally told not to write anything on it in the future.

https://vaticancatholic.com/geocentr...trism-galileo/
So while it may not have been an ex cathedra pronouncement, it was nevertheless the position of the Roman Catholic church that geocentrism was true. Heliocentrism was condemned by the Congregation of the Index with the approval of Pope Paul v.

Quote:
2) With our current capabilities, is it even possible to prove that the earth is not the center of the solar system?
Yes. One way is by means of Stellar parallax. The earth's orbit around the sun is huge. When the position of stars against more distant background objects is taken and then taken again six months later when the earth is on the opposite side of the sun there is a shift in the position of those stars as seen from the earth. The change in earth's orbital position around the sun causes the observed shift.

Quote:
If the answer to either of these questions is "no" (and to my understanding it is), then my claim stands.
Your claim doesn't stand.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I have to ask, did you doubt the solar system model before becoming a Catholic, or have you had to willingly regress in knowledge since becoming one ?
“Willingly regress in knowledge”?

I don’t know that I’ve ever given it much thought until this thread, tbh.

I’ve always been a skeptical person by nature. I’m a big believer in “question everything”, especially when it comes to the “acceptable” narrative. That’s what led me to Catholicism; and it’s in the Catholic Faith where I find my grounding, really.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
That’s the beauty in science . It works. If it is found not to work, it is discarded .
It “works” to what end? It can’t bring eternal salvation or reconcile man to God. Those things are much more important to me than technological advancements or a more precise understanding of the physical world.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know this unreasonably extreme pseudo-tolerance you and Tzaph keep preaching is becoming quite annoying. Torquemada was not merely a bad mistake. His tortures and murders were unadulterated evil personified. Get real. They were a direct result of this unquestioning accession to the religious authority of the Catholic Church.
Your ahistorical caricatures aside; Torquemada had nothing to do with Galileo. They didn’t even live in the same century.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
And when a non-believer questions the evidence that has lead a believer to their dogma, can it too not be challenged or questioned without offense?
I personally don’t get offended. I can’t speak for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality