Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2021, 02:03 PM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I can't speak for others, however yes, I believe in judgement. Without that all you have is a lawless existence. I even accept full judgement upon myself.

Do you consider yourself to be above the question you ask.
That was not the question.

Forget it. You clearly have no intention of answering the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 02:41 PM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Hey, isn't your religion all about judging?

But are you telling me that you personally refuse any medical treatment that was tested on animal subjects? Food testing? Etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That was not the question.

Forget it. You clearly have no intention of answering the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
... It also appears that you overlooked the summary in the last paragraph of my initial post.
I fully answered your first question and that sentence there was my answer to your last three questions. As in the summary of that initial post, I acknowledged how things are in this world.

You can judge my intentions if you want. I figured that if you had read that, your last three questions were unnecessary. I don't deny the good and evil in it all.

Would you be willing to suffer torture and death to bring healing and life to me.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:36 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...Abrahamic religions judge.
There is even a "Judgment Day".
BTW...the Atheists need to either acknowledge God, or burn in Hell (as per what the writings tell about said Judgment Day standards) for eternity.
The "meaning of life from a Atheist perspective" should be to figure out how to gain the ability to perceive God that 4 out of 5 people possess, and at least achieve that minimal level of normal human understanding.
A misinterpretation of "God" is one thing...but, outright denial, and your are roasting, for sure.
According to the most epic and prolific writings in human history, anyway.
It might help if you request that the Theists pray for you to receive the blessing of that minimal basic understanding...just an idea.

That's really sweet of you Gldn.

" Atheists need to either acknowledge God, or burn in Hell ".

Just so you know, those aren't the only two choices.
The other alternative is to recognise that hell is an absurd fairytale that doesn't exist, that I didn't believe even as a child, let alone as an adult.
I'm not about to start now. Thanks very much anyway for your concern.

But you know. I'm sure your belief that we are all going to burn in hell brings you great joy, so you know, whatever gets you through.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:15 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

The other alternative is to recognise that hell is an absurd fairytale that doesn't exist, that I didn't believe even as a child, let alone as an adult.

But you know. I'm sure your belief that we are all going to burn in hell brings you great joy, so you know, whatever gets you through.
just out of curiosity, how do you feel about those who label "religious and spiritual" beliefs which are different from their own beliefs as "insane and incoherent" ? are you too someone who considers all knowledge which is not "science" to be "incoherent and insane" ? the reason i am asking is because you have expressed admiration for the one holding those views and so i wondered if you held those same views too, and find them admirable. or do you recognize "those aren't the only two choices." given that you label other beliefs than your own as "absurd fairy tales" that is quite similar to calling other beliefs "insane and incoherent." not a lot of respect and regard for beliefs which differ from your own when it comes to your own chosen path of "religion and spirituality."

talking about ideas and views here, not people. for me, i disagree with the view that everything that is not "science" is "incoherent and insane." nor would i call other belief systems "absurd fairy tales." i don't find it to be logical or rational or in the least bit scientific to label that which is not science as "incoherent and insane" or "absurd fairy tales." how about you, from (as the thread title says) 'from an atheist's perspective.' and who also appears to view science as exalted and deserving of a quite lengthy thread devoted to science in, of all places, the forum devoted to paths of religion and spirituality. that devotion appears to revere science as a path of religion and spirituality.

as the post above mentions, perhaps it gives them great joy to call other beliefs "absurd fairy tales" or "insane and incoherent." I don't find that to be the case. but the post above states "they are sure the beliefs bring great joy."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-05-2021 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 12:18 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...Abrahamic religions judge.
There is even a "Judgment Day".
BTW...the Atheists need to either acknowledge God, or burn in Hell (as per what the writings tell about said Judgment Day standards) for eternity.
The "meaning of life from a Atheist perspective" should be to figure out how to gain the ability to perceive God that 4 out of 5 people possess, and at least achieve that minimal level of normal human understanding.
A misinterpretation of "God" is one thing...but, outright denial, and your are roasting, for sure. According to the most epic and prolific writings in human history, anyway.
It might help if you request that the Theists pray for you to receive the blessing of that minimal basic understanding...just an idea.
As most religious people (55%) perceive a different god to you, all your arguments also apply to you and your oven ready library worship religion.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:06 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
just out of curiosity, how do you feel about those who label "religious and spiritual" beliefs which are different from their own beliefs as "insane and incoherent" ? are you too someone who considers all knowledge which is not "science" to be "incoherent and insane" ? the reason i am asking is because you have expressed admiration for the one holding those views and so i wondered if you held those same views too, and find them admirable. or do you recognize "those aren't the only two choices." given that you label other beliefs than your own as "absurd fairy tales" that is quite similar to calling other beliefs "insane and incoherent." not a lot of respect and regard for beliefs which differ from your own when it comes to your own chosen path of "religion and spirituality."

talking about ideas and views here, not people. for me, i disagree with the view that everything that is not "science" is "incoherent and insane." nor would i call other belief systems "absurd fairy tales." i don't find it to be logical or rational or in the least bit scientific to label that which is not science as "incoherent and insane" or "absurd fairy tales." how about you, from (as the thread title says) 'from an atheist's perspective.' and who also appears to view science as exalted and deserving of a quite lengthy thread devoted to science in, of all places, the forum devoted to paths of religion and spirituality. that devotion appears to revere science as a path of religion and spirituality.

as the post above mentions, perhaps it gives them great joy to call other beliefs "absurd fairy tales" or "insane and incoherent." I don't find that to be the case. but the post above states "they are sure the beliefs bring great joy."

As posts go for picking fights this one takes the absolute biscuit.

1. I can't even make out what you and Mystic are arguing about on another thread. Don't involve me in it.

2. It's amazing that Gldn can come on this thread and tell me
'The Meaning of life from a Atheist perspective' should be to not believe what I believe but believe what he believes or burn in hell.

But somehow you skip that bit and try to drag me into your argument with Mystic on another thread that I'm in no way involved in.

FYI I didn't bring up the subject of hell, Gldn did. I'm responding with my belief. Which I'm equally entitled to.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:52 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
As posts go for picking fights this one takes the absolute biscuit. 1. I can't even make out what you and Mystic are arguing about on another thread. Don't involve me in it. 2. It's amazing that Gldn can come on this thread and tell me. 'The Meaning of life from a Atheist perspective' should be to not believe what I believe but believe what he believes or burn in hell. But somehow you skip that bit and try to drag me into your argument with Mystic on another thread that I'm in no way involved in.
FYI I didn't bring up the subject of hell, Gldn did. I'm responding with my belief. Which I'm equally entitled to.
yes your "belief system" is extensively presented in the opening post detailing and identifying with reverence your devotion to science as your own personal path of religion and spirituality , replete with much from your sacred history, your sacred sites, sacred discoveries, sacred objects and artifacts, timeline of sacred events laid out in great detail from your scripture in the requisite cadence-like wall of text chanting and recounting your sacred history, and links to your holy writ. yes the forum for religion and spirituality is certainly the place to share in fervid communion with your fellow acolytes your own personal commitment with the fevered zeal evident in the opening post. it appears that your personal path includes the aspect of zealot in taking it to the extreme of denigrating other paths which hold different beliefs than your own path of religion and spirituality.

regarding zealots, which is the term used to identify those who are fanatical about their beliefs, the definition is shown below for how it is used in the context of "religion and spirituality" which is of course the forum we are in. an identifying characteristic of a zealot is the extent to which a believer castigates beliefs which are different than their own beliefs. examples from threads here on CD are "absurd fairy tales" "burn in hell" "incoherent and insane."

"a zealot is someone who is fanatical about a belief. An example of a zealot is an extremely religious person. ... One who is zealous, one who is full of zeal for his own specific beliefs or objectives, usually in the negative sense of being too passionate; a fanatic."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-06-2021 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-06-2021, 07:32 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
Quote:

As long as we're looking for alternatives, I had decided that Gldn's screed was so over the top that it must've been written with tongue-in-cheek and wink-in-eye. A twisted version of "I don't believe this but some people say..." or perhaps "I'll just drop this bomb in here and see what happens."

But if that was reading too much between the lines, and he actually meant it... then yes, what you said, and more!

Old 12-06-2021, 07:34 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:

One member asked another, "Isn't your religion all about judging?"
I was just noting what the writings say about that.
As you know...I am a Pantheist. But I was not commenting on his question from that perspective. I was commenting from what I knew about what the writings have to say about Abrahamic Theology and "Judgement".
Most around these parts are familiar with those concepts put forth about "Judgement Day" and rewards/punishments based on the outcome of that.
I don't know why you would think, "I'm sure your belief that we are all going to burn in hell brings you great joy".
I didn't write it...I just know what it says. And it is the most epic and prolific writings in human history.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As most religious people (55%) perceive a different god to you, all your arguments also apply to you and your oven ready library worship religion.
You are wrong about that...as usual.
Since I am of the view that God = ALL...that would include any and all ideas and concepts.
Even the idea that there is no God, is GOD. HOWBOWDAH?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality