Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 09:41 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh no, I am so sorry about your dog. It's stupid hard to lose a pet, isn't it?

In 2009, I ended up living alone with four cats that I never asked for. Yes, cue the crazy cat lady jokes. One by one they left me, the last dying on January 6 of last year at almost 16 years of age. He died at home in his sleep a few days after having what I suspect was a stroke.

Having found my mother dead nine months before, the parallels between how animals and humans end their lives was striking. Both had gotten thinner and weaker and ate less as the end neared, both had difficulty walking in their last days, and just before they died, they each took a little water I offered and went to sleep and died peacefully. Bodies just wear out.

I hope the memories of your dog continue to make you smile for many years to come.
Thank you and yes, there is no doubt that losing a pet like our Cleo is not all that different from losing a dear family member. I can well relate to all you write about your mother and your cats...

Cleo was a rescue. A beautiful golden husky/wolf (according to the vet), and the sweetest animal you could ever meet. With kids, other dogs, all people. Used to out run any dog on the beach, like the wind. Always let us know when she was happy by giving us a quick bark and twirl with what always really looked like a smile on her face. Incredibly well behaved as she traveled everywhere with us by car or truck.

Can't count the many ways we will continue to miss her. Every morning she used to walk over to me while I was on the computer and she would nudge my elbow for attention. "Loves." If I didn't react right away, she would just keep nudging me until I gave her the pets she wanted, and if the pets didn't go on long enough, she'd turn around and nudge me again. Until satisfied, and then she'd move on to some other part of the house. She got a little too old and a little too stiff in the legs to bother with any of that the last couple of years though.

Slowly the immediate pain of letting her go is passing a bit. Thank goodness. Unfortunately for her and for us, she didn't go peacefully. Though in the end she could barely walk, she always managed a bit of a very slow daily walk just down the street and back with us. If nothing else to keep her legs moving. Otherwise she was typically sprawled out on her blanket at the foot of our bed. Often so listless we had to look real hard to see she was still breathing. I always hoped she would simply pass just like that. In complete peace.

The morning of new year's day, however, all of a sudden she went into some sort of cardiac arrest. Went into a spasm that just would not stop. I'll not get into the rest of the rough details, but it was everything we could do to get to the vet where she was still convulsing after about 45 minutes. Soon as we could, we told the vet to put her out and save her (and us) any further pain. A rough way to go, but we knew our time with her was already past the point long enough for a dog her size and age.

If anyone should enjoy the sort of time that we did with Cleo, even right up to the end, all "good, bad and ugly," they too are very lucky indeed. Beyond measure.

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-04-2022 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 10:54 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Heaven is not for the self serving but for those serving God.
By serving God ,it means seeking listening and obeying God in both big and small things.
Jesus provided His Holy Spirot to that end, and with out Him one has no relationship. Matthew 7:21,22,23,
Jesus taught His disciples to pray, saying Thy will be done, Not my will be done.
If you can’t get that, your faith I vain.
If one loves God , then he is living to serve God’s purposes, not his own.
How can one expect Jesus to welcome one into His Kingdom having been self serving?
One thing that requires faith is trust and trust is not just an empty word if something valued is hanging on it.
God gives me guidance and I trust Him and fallow as He leads, often into the unknown from my perspective. But seeing His hand and intervention my trust grows greater. My needs are met, often beyond my expectations.
Though I am much older than I expected to live I am happy to go any time, but so long as God has work for me to do, and there is so much more for me to learn I suppose I will be here till it’s all accomplished.
Love God first and foremost, not in shallow words, but in actual obedience via the Holy Spirit Jesus provides. When you obey at this level a whole different world opens up to you.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:39 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Heaven is not for the self serving but for those serving God.
By serving God ,it means seeking listening and obeying God in both big and small things.
Jesus provided His Holy Spirot to that end, and with out Him one has no relationship. Matthew 7:21,22,23,
Jesus taught His disciples to pray, saying Thy will be done, Not my will be done.
If you can’t get that, your faith I vain.
If one loves God , then he is living to serve God’s purposes, not his own.
How can one expect Jesus to welcome one into His Kingdom having been self serving?
One thing that requires faith is trust and trust is not just an empty word if something valued is hanging on it.
God gives me guidance and I trust Him and fallow as He leads, often into the unknown from my perspective. But seeing His hand and intervention my trust grows greater. My needs are met, often beyond my expectations.
Though I am much older than I expected to live I am happy to go any time, but so long as God has work for me to do, and there is so much more for me to learn I suppose I will be here till it’s all accomplished.
Love God first and foremost, not in shallow words, but in actual obedience via the Holy Spirit Jesus provides. When you obey at this level a whole different world opens up to you.
Is to insist on the truth of these matters and nothing but the truth also to be "self-serving?"

Is to require faith instead somehow not "self-serving?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality