Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2021, 12:07 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhh, yes...another dose of the standard, "People who would believe in Theological Concepts are ignorant & don't know much of anything...and their level of Belief in those concepts is equal to level of how dumb & easily conned/manipulated they are, because of that.
This argument is ALWAYS bogus
As far as education and knowledge being an antidote and inoculant to God Belief and Religion...The Way of The World has long shown that to be untrue.
Throughout history...the greatest minds were Theist and/or Religious.
I have noted before---Belief is the "litmus-test" for the "best of the best" scientists. The VERY top echelon are/were Theist (with some exceptions, of course): Copernicus, Kepler, Newton, Bacon, Galileo, Descartes, Boyle, Faraday, Mendel, Kelvin, Planck, Brahe, Gilbert, Pasteur, Einstein, Lamatrie, etc, etc. And currently guys like Collins.
And, lately...the areas of the world with the very best education, like Hong Kong, is where Religion was growing the fastest (when left alone by the Government)...which flies in the face of the rude and insulting implication that people believe in God and/or are Religious because of ignorance.
Again this history that takes us back to a day when to be other than religious was for the most part unheard of among those who could read and write. The better educated. You are back to the nonsense when you accuse me of believing people who believe in theological concepts are ignorant. I certainly know otherwise, because I'm not so blindly wedded to any way of thinking or conclusion that keeps me from seeing other than one side of these issues. You keep proving how much confirmation bias has got you to the point of only seeing what you want to see.

Though you always encourage me to waste more time in this forum, due to your significant blinders and silly comments like these, I'm always trying to do better at spending time where it is better spent. Hard to think this time with you is anything of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
nothing in my post remotely said, implied, or alluded to "not eating meat" or "we should stop eating."
those are entirely invented by you and a product of your own fevered mind.

Bacon is a processed meat which specifically contains nitrates and nitrites, which are known to form cancer-causing compounds, to the extent that, "The American Institute of Cancer Research recommends avoiding bacon and other processed meats completely. While eating any type of red meat has been associated with increased health risks, processed meats are even worse for your health. They have been preserved by curing, smoking, salting, or adding chemical preservatives. There are three chemicals in processed meat that have been linked to cancer. They include:

1. Haem-naturally occurs in most red meats
2. Nitrites and nitrates, added chemical preservatives
3. Heterocyclic amines and polycyclic amines, chemical compounds produced when meat is cooked at high temperatures

"All three of these substances can damage the cells in your bowels and lead to cancer. Eating chemical prservatives is linked to an increased risk of colon and stomach cancer. The World Health Organization has classified bacon as a Group 1 carcinogen, which means it's known to cause cancer. One of the biggest risks of bacon is nitrates and nitrites, that form cancer-causing compounds. In addition to increasing your risk of colon and stomach cancer, eating processed meat increases your risk of prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer, breast cancer, and dying from all types of cancer. "

Source / Sept. 2021 article "How Bad Is Bacon for You?" by Dan Brennan, MD
https://www.medicinenet.com/how_bad_...ou/article.htm
On the one hand we've got Putin to worry about. On the other hand bacon...

Maybe the end of days is finally upon us!

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
i find the posts and views expressed by Gldn consistently show remarkable depth, understanding, intelligence, clarity, and insight into humanity, individually and collectively. I value his presence on the forum and his contributions.
I'm sure you do!

Old 12-31-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The facts/reason/logic of the matter...is that people are interested in Religion & Spirituality. It's Atheism that is wanting for interest, relatively.
Indicating the bias & angst that the OP is saturated with.
It would figure though...Atheism is rooted in illogic. It's typically based on a Argument From Ignorance: Lack of Belief Based Upon No Evidence (the LOBBUNE Doctrine I coined), using the flawed premise of 'No Evidence' to make determinations off of.
The most notable interest it generates is getting the Adherents to be considered some of the Most Hated & Least Trusted...and THAT is the real facts on that.
I have always been interested in religion and spirituality (and politics, music, the arts, people)...

Perhaps you find atheism wanting of interest, but I don't share your opinion about that either. Who is surprised? The truth may seem full of "bias and angst" to you and others while for others more like me, the truth is simply what it is. Not subject to love or hate. Just is. Here again you well demonstrate the nature of and/or example of how confirmation bias can influence our perspectives.

To make the statements like you do. Like this one yet again; "Atheism is rooted in illogic" really should not be allowed to fly without some level of reason or rationale to support such claims, but I well know your game by now. Nothing better is to be expected. Best we'll get from you are these epic claims about who hates who the most.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:51 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm sure you do!
Yes, it's a match made in...

Old 12-31-2021, 01:02 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I have always been interested in religion and spirituality (and politics, music, the arts, people)...Perhaps you find atheism wanting of interest, but I don't share your opinion about that either. Who is surprised? The truth may seem full of "bias and angst" to you and others while for others more like me, the truth is simply what it is. Not subject to love or hate. Just is. Here again you well demonstrate the nature of and/or example of how confirmation bias can influence our perspectives. To make the statements like you do. Like this one yet again; "Atheism is rooted in illogic" really should not be allowed to fly without some level of reason or rationale to support such claims, but I well know your game by now. Nothing better is to be expected. Best we'll get from you are these epic claims about who hates who the most.
They are not "epic claims" they are well-documented through studies, research, reports, and data which clearly show that atheists are among the least trusted and most disliked groups. Like the post above says, The truth simply is what it is. And that truth is: "Research shows that atheists are trusted less than religious people. In fact, even atheists trust their fellow atheists less than religious people."

Scientific American, "In Atheists We Distrust"
"Atheists are one of the most disliked groups in America."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-we-distrust/

Time, "Atheism on the Rise, But Still Most Mistrusted Group in America"
"Even an Increasingly Godless America Doesn't Trust an Atheist to Run the Country"

https://time.com/109050/a-nation-of-...n-the-country/

University of Minnesota, "Atheists remain most disliked religious minority in the U.S."
"Americans have sharpened their negative views of atheists, despite an increase in people identifying as non-religious and an increase in public discussion of non-belief."

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-eve...us-minority-us

Psychology Today, "The Distrust Of Atheists"
"What is it about atheists that puts people off so much?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...trust-atheists

ABC News, "Distrusting Atheists"
"Atheists are seen by many Americans , in the words of sociologist Penny Edgell, the study's lead researcher, "A glaring exception to the rule of increasing tolerance over the last 30 years." Americans are not fond of atheists and trust them less than they do other groups. The depth of this distrust is a bit astonishing nonetheless."

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/st...1786422&page=1

Pew Research Center, "Ten Facts About Atheists"
"Americans feel less warmly toward atheists than they do toward members of most major religious groups."

https://www.pewforum.org/2017/02/15/...n-partisanship

The Conversation,"Why some people distrust atheists"
"Research shows that atheists are trusted less than religious people. In fact, even atheists trust their fellow atheists less than religious people."

https://theconversation.com/why-some...theists-126566

Old 12-31-2021, 01:12 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
They are not "epic claims" they are well-documented through studies, research, reports, and data which clearly show that atheists are among the least trusted and most disliked groups. Like the post above says, The truth simply is what it is. And that truth is: "Research shows that atheists are trusted less than religious people. In fact, even atheists trust their fellow atheists less than religious people."

Scientific American, "In Atheists We Distrust"
"Atheists are one of the most disliked groups in America."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-we-distrust/

Time, "Atheism on the Rise, But Still Most Mistrusted Group in America"
"Even an Increasingly Godless America Doesn't Trust an Atheist to Run the Country"

https://time.com/109050/a-nation-of-...n-the-country/

University of Minnesota, "Atheists remain most disliked religious minority in the U.S."
"Americans have sharpened their negative views of atheists, despite an increase in people identifying as non-religious and an increase in public discussion of non-belief."

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-eve...us-minority-us

Psychology Today, "The Distrust Of Atheists"
"What is it about atheists that puts people off so much?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...trust-atheists

ABC News, "Distrusting Atheists"
"Atheists are seen by many Americans , in the words of sociologist Penny Edgell, the study's lead researcher, "A glaring exception to the rule of increasing tolerance over the last 30 years." Americans are not fond of atheists and trust them less than they do other groups. The depth of this distrust is a bit astonishing nonetheless."

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/st...1786422&page=1

Pew Research Center, "Ten Facts About Atheists"
"Americans feel less warmly toward atheists than they do toward members of most major religious groups."

https://www.pewforum.org/2017/02/15/...n-partisanship

The Conversation,"Why some people distrust atheists"
"Research shows that atheists are trusted less than religious people. In fact, even atheists trust their fellow atheists less than religious people."

https://theconversation.com/why-some...theists-126566
So what? That doesn't make religionists and wooists right.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:59 PM

895 posts, read 475,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
they were smart enough to believe Jesus. Jesus taught--Enter through the narrow gate, for broad and spacious the path that leads to destruction, many entered this way, For narrow is the gate and cramped the road that leads off into life, FEW are the ones finding it.

Those primitive barbarians as you call them, had the sense to believe Jesus , so tell us what does it make one who refuses to believe him?
So you are saying Adam condemned the world but Jesus only saves a small number? The apple is more powerful than the cross. Adam kicked Jesus's butt.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
So you are saying Adam condemned the world but Jesus only saves a small number? The apple is more powerful than the cross. Adam kicked Jesus's butt.
That's the idea of "Limited Atonement". Nothing stops Jesus. He saves every single person he wants to save.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:04 PM

895 posts, read 475,811 times
Quote:
The facts/reason/logic of the matter...is that people are interested in Religion & Spirituality. It's Atheism that is wanting for interest, relatively.
Indicating the bias & angst that the OP is saturated with.
It would figure though...Atheism is rooted in illogic. It's typically based on a Argument From Ignorance: Lack of Belief Based Upon No Evidence (the LOBBUNE Doctrine I coined), using the flawed premise of 'No Evidence' to make determinations off of.
The most notable interest it generates is getting the Adherents to be considered some of the Most Hated & Least Trusted...and THAT is the real facts on that.
By whom? The children of God?.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality