Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 11:46 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's called artificial intelligence for a reason.
the operative word is artificial

as in artifice.
Lol, lecturing someone on the obvious while missing the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You keep exposing yourself to ad hominem by your inability to comprehend what is being presented.
I understand very well what is being presented.

Quote:
You can simulate the outcomes of facial recognition in software, ...
Missing the point.

Quote:
... but you cannot produce a consciousness that actually "recognizes" as we do.
Your assertion about what we do not know is amusing considering you attack us for what you are here doing.

Quote:
They are apples and oranges because unlike the Short Circuit movie "Five is NOT alive."
No, that is not why they are apples and oranges.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:57 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
There is no evidence for some other mystical Consciousness with a capital 'C'. Neuroscience is the most credible field to understand the only consciousness we know about.
looking for Consciousness in the physical brain and nerves, is like looking for love in the physical chambers of the heart, or looking for courage in the physical muscles and tendons. makes a good country song though, it is quite apt as theme song for view expressed above: "I spent a lifetime looking for you, playing a fool's game hoping to win, and telling those sweet lies and losing again. Looking for it in all the wrong places."

https://youtu.be/vvDbOH5z8mY?t=14

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-28-2021 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 12:29 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
I understand very well what is being presented.
Missing the point.
rolleyes: Your assertion about what we do not know is amusing considering you attack us for what you are here doing.
No, that is not why they are apples and oranges.
You are missing the point because YOUR atheism is inherently Scientism. Transponder (Arq) was the most "concrete" thinker I had encountered until I encountered you and your views. You seem to have little capacity for considering anything beyond what is validated by science. Sad to live in such a restrictive Reality.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point because YOUR atheism is inherently Scientism. Transponder (Arq) was the most "concrete" thinker I had encountered until I encountered you and your views. You seem to have little capacity for considering anything beyond what is validated by science. Sad to live in such a restrictive Reality.
you do this also MP with:

changeless
timeless
always was always will be
no beginning, no end
reincarnation

Kastrup on no time, "Clearly time doesn't exist out there but is merely a mental construct. Mind invents time."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-28-2021 at 12:57 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
you do this also MP with:

changeless
timeless
always was always will be
no beginning, no end
reincarnation

Kastrup on no time, "Clearly time doesn't exist out there but is merely a mental construct. Mind invents time."
The bold is the scientific rendering of Minkowski's timeless "Vierdimensionale Welt" which I also reject. So who is the one stuck in scientism?

Old 12-28-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The bold is the scientific rendering of Minkowski's timeless "Vierdimensionale Welt" which I also reject. So who is the one stuck in scientism?
1. as has been pointed out, you are. In your own words, "You seem to have little capacity for considering anything beyond what is validated by science."
2. no idea and no interest in what is referenced in post above. the topic of the thread is Kastrup, that's why the link was included to his article and views on timeless, on time being an artificial construct of the mind.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
1. as has been pointed out, you are. In your own words, "You seem to have little capacity for considering anything beyond what is validated by science."
2. no idea and no interest in what is referenced in post above. the topic of the thread is Kastrup, that's why the link was included to his article and views on timeless, on time being an artificial construct of the mind.
The only time that is a construct of our mind is the time we experience and measure because it is an artifact of the time required for our mind to form from the resonant neural synaptic firings at light speed. But the quantum time during which our mind forms is the REAL time of the creative advance of the Oneness that you pretend does not exist.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:35 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Computer Science covers many topics, and a very small part (some artificial intelligence systems) is based on neuroscience. My degree project was based on that.
True enough. I was fascinated by the Python library that simulates the human prefrontal cortex, and how in debugging it they actually stumbled upon a few things about how the brain works.

Mostly over my head though; I write line-of-business software for a living.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
You are missing the point because YOUR atheism is inherently Scientism.
You have been given the definition of scientism by CB, so you know you are not telling the truth. And every time you and CB falsely accuse others of scientism, you are both admitting you do not have the evidence for your position.

Quote:
Transponder (Arq) was the most "concrete" thinker I had encountered until I encountered you and your views. You seem to have little capacity for considering anything beyond what is validated by science. Sad to live in such a restrictive Reality.
The usual dishonest misrepresentations, excuses and ad hominems that have nothing to do with me. But when you have NO evidence for your mental masturbation, what else can you do?

I would explain further, but as you failed to see the 2 flaws in Kastrup's argument, it is unlikely you have the intellect to understand the actual arguments.

Not only is AI, especially neural networks, strong evidence that consciousness is a product of the brain, there are other scientific and medical areas that also show this. What you (and CB) need to do is provide stronger evidence for your snake oil cosmic consciousness position.

Not claim that you have the evidence but only you have the intellect to understand the argument, and everyone else is too stupid; not your usual attacks on those who, unlike you, know what they are talking about, you need to provide that evidence. Because otherwise all you have are assertions.

I have asked you for this evidence for years, and all you have done is evade using every pathetic excuse you can to avoid doing this. We do not need to ask why.

Either provide the clear evidence for your position, or stop your arrogant, dishonest and hypocritical attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality