Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 02:05 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,701 times

Advertisements

What Tutu said that got some riled up is that he would not want to go to Heaven with a homophobic God, that if he found God to be such, he would prefer to go to hell.

Let’s face it. There isn’t an evangelical alive that would have the courage to say that. Tutu did. Evangelicals would grovel and accept any kind of horror that they felt God demanded . Tutu dared have the courage to say “ I would not put up with this even from a God “.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 03:12 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
What Tutu said that got some riled up is that he would not want to go to Heaven with a homophobic God, that if he found God to be such, he would prefer to go to hell.

Let’s face it. There isn’t an evangelical alive that would have the courage to say that. Tutu did. Evangelicals would grovel and accept any kind of horror that they felt God demanded . Tutu dared have the courage to say “ I would not put up with this even from a God “.
Because he knew that way of thinking comes from man, not God.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:07 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because he knew that way of thinking comes from man, not God.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:17 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:

I wouldn’t actually classify Tutu as Evangelical, but that is just semantics really.
Anglican/ Episcopalian etc are high church or mainline Protestant denominations.
What used to be called the Church of England.
Low church Evangelical Protestants are very different.
The likes of BaptistFundie would know what I’m talking about, along with most Evangelicals.
But the message from Tutu here remains the same regardless.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:55 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I wouldn’t actually classify Tutu as Evangelical, but that is just semantics really.
Anglican/ Episcopalian etc are high church or mainline Protestant denominations.
What used to be called the Church of England.
Low church Evangelical Protestants are very different.
The likes of BaptistFundie would know what I’m talking about, along with most Evangelicals.
But the message from Tutu here remains the same regardless.
I didnt classify him as an evangelical.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:42 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. He was a great leader of men. He accomplished huge things for civil rights. No one can take that away from him, and the world is most certainly a better place with him having lived.

But a "religious leader"? What made him great as a religious leader, versus a civil rights leader?
aren't civil rights human rights? aren't human rights sacred?

Old 12-30-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Great. He was a man of integrity. A leader should be. And yes, most religions stress integrity.

But does actually adhering to a religion's teachings matter when it comes to a religious leader?
Doest't your religious teachings value integrity?

Old 12-30-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
One more thing. You wish to pretend your reputation is because of your beliefs. You cant see that it is because of your style, as illustrated here. Michael Way doesnt get the rep you do. Even as Mike 555 he didnt get the rep you have. Ever wonder why this is? If so, start by wondering why you felt the need to post here simply to interrupt a tribute thread and criticize a dead guy.
Your tirade does not seem to be in keeping with the sentiment of this thread, the title, or the man.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:10 PM

I am watching videos of Desmond Tutu’s life and work, much of which I was not aware of. His life and work is an example of how again and again it is religion that delivers freedom to the suffering. I hear the same message that Advaita teaches reflected in his words about the Bible and God, to see God in each one, you are the sanctuary of God. He never minced words when calling out injustice, Jesus’s embrace of all, all. A wonderful life.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:41 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Your tirade does not seem to be in keeping with the sentiment of this thread, the title, or the man.
Expecting the participants of this forum to refrain from scratching their pet itches out of respect for the purpose of a thread is beyond optimistic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality