Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 08:10 PM

640 posts, read 450,099 times

Advertisements

Nobody knows, of course, what goes on after death. The fundamental difference between the believers and the atheists is that the former believe in an immortal soul that does not die with the body but is released to its Heavenly Father. The latter see the death of a body as a complete end of the human being. Kaput.

There is no sense arguing this point here. You are either a believer or not.

The believers should consult their spiritual leader for a formal explanation accepted in their denomination. But as I understand it, a sinful soul of a tyrant goes to the Purgatory, where it undergoes "deep cleaning" of sorts. It is then reincarnated into some other being for another try at life.

One of our goals in life is to refine our soul, clean it from the material coarseness, while living in this world and being subjected to its temptations of all sorts. If we manage to improve our soul even a little, the next reincarnation would allow the soul to improve a little more, etc. But if the soul descends lower into sin -- like your tyrant -- than the road to perfection just gets much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 08:27 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So according to you if a Christian comes out and calls the religious beliefs of a non Christian belief as a fairytale is defensive but cannot be offensive because he is a Christian

OK my belief is that being a hyprocrite is wrong. BaptistFundie has called other non Christian beliefs as false, lies abd fairytales and yet gets upset when people do the same about gis religion. That is beibg a hyprocrite.

You attack anyone who you thibj might be going against Christians and say that religions should nit be attacked byt stay totally silent when a Christian mocks, insults or attacks a different religion. That ia being a hypocrite.

If you actually read what I posted to him I only pointed out that heaven and hell were as much a fairytale as reincarnation and that I used the term fairytale only because that was the term he had used.

If one religion deserves respect here then all religions deserve respect here. If a religion does not deserve respect here than your religion does not eithrr.

I am sorry thatvyou feel only certain peoplwcand religions deserve respect and certain people and religions do not deserve to be treated in the same fashion.
I've been around here a long time.
I see mostly Christians and Christianity being attacked...and then the attackers complain when they defend and counter.
Then...I see Theism in general being attacked as well.
It can get pretty down-and-dirty.
I have been noting this since I came to the board and saw how it goes down here.
But...to be honest (and I have admitted this)...I actually like it, and find it entertaining...similar to horror movies and "insult comedy". It's my favorite thing about the board.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:46 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I've been around here a long time.
I see mostly Christians and Christianity being attacked...and then the attackers complain when they defend and counter.
Then...I see Theism in general being attacked as well.
It can get pretty down-and-dirty.
I have been noting this since I came to the board and saw how it goes down here.
But...to be honest (and I have admitted this)...I actually like it, and find it entertaining...similar to horror movies and "insult comedy". It's my favorite thing about the board.
I can see your point I guess. This could be a little more intellectually stimulating then say "the kardashians", but still feeds on everything I find disturbing with our lower selves.
It's the main reason I take long breaks from this or any forum.

But...I Keep hoping various tribes will search for unity.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:16 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I can see your point I guess. This could be a little more intellectually stimulating then say "the kardashians", but still feeds on everything I find disturbing with our lower selves.
It's the main reason I take long breaks from this or any forum.

But...I Keep hoping various tribes will search for unity.
Okay. And let's start easy.

It's March and let's set this as our goal. The Methodist and Presbyterian sects will become one.

I'll wait.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:34 AM

I think they call themselves non denominational.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I think they call themselves non denominational.
I don't care what they call themselves. I want to simply see them meld into one entity. They don't, they won't, they can't. They can't end tribalism WITHIN christianity.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:03 AM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't care what they call themselves. I want to simply see them meld into one entity. They don't, they won't, they can't. They can't end tribalism WITHIN Christianity.
You misidentify the causative agent as Christianity, but it is the psychological makeup of humanity itself that is at fault.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:29 AM

Spent several weeks volunteering with a group that included Methodists, Southern Baptists, Catholics, Mennonite, and Evangelicals.

There was more that united us then divided us.

Division, dissension, and hatred is a choice.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Spent several weeks volunteering with a group that included Methodists, Southern Baptists, Catholics, Mennonite, and Evangelicals.

There was more that united us then divided us.

Division, dissension, and hatred is a choice.
And then you all went back to your separate churches.

Don't tell me it's not true. In my community of 25,000 we have at least 20 churches. Some nearly next door to each other. Separate tribes.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:35 AM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
If like attracts like, an evil nature will congregate with other evil beings. And being incapable of approaching the Creator, that emanates all that is wonderful, their thwarted desires is a perpetual torment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A PARABLE

A pious man of an obscure religious sect, passed away, and soon found himself in the company of others who shared his obscure beliefs. He was astounded and filled with self righteousness that he had correctly chosen the path to paradise - which appeared to be a walled city of exceptional opulence. But upon further exploration, he noted in the distance, a series of walled cities, each more opulent than the next. He asked a neighbor and was told that those were the heavenly cities of Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, Lutherans and so on, each zealously guarding the gates from infidels and blasphemers. Like attracts like, he explained.

The pious man became agitated, and asked, “So in which city is the Great Spirit, the Sovereign of the Universe, located?”

His neighbor looked perplexed, saying “I’ve never found Him here.”

In a panic, the pious man ran out of the gates of “his” paradise, and suddenly remembered that the Great Spirit can be found in the hearts of all good men, regardless of their dogmatic beliefs. As he walked away from the opulent vistas, he heard a voice, from within: “Be still, and know that I Am God.”

A peace that passeth all understanding fell upon him, and he wandered the ever new joys of eternal paradise, assured that choosing God is superior to being right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality