Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 08:09 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times

Advertisements

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...-baptisms.html

Although covid is part of the reason, now that most restrictions no longer exist, the fact is they have self-reported 1.1 less people, to the lowest point in FORTY years. Interestingly enough, for the first time in years, baptisms up slightly in the last quarter, although still 100,000 less than 3 years ago.

As this branch of religion continues to recede, it is indicative of religion in general declining in the USA. We also need to be prepared that the remaining adherents will often become increasingly in their zealot drive to impose their beliefs on the larger population.

Need proof of that? Look at recent SCOTUS decisions that are clearly driven by religious beliefs.

Positive change takes time, and it will be years before the harm that the zealot religious are currently imposing on the greater society to be corrected. But, dropping participation in the Southern Baptist group is a good first indicator that the pendulum is starting to swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 08:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Its is strange, that religion seems to be on the downward trend in this country...but the Supreme Court rules in religions favor? And not only the abortion issue, many other laws are based on religious law as well...I dont see anyone calling for these laws to be redacted though?

The Catholic church is STILL very powerful and influential in the world today...(even though belief is trending downward?) That doesnt make sense...shouldnt the churches influence decrease as well?

Ive said this before, even though the Catholic Church was found guilty of protecting and hiding child molesters, NOT A SINGLE CHURCH was run out of town?!!! In fact, 10s of 1000s of parents send their kids to catholic schools every day!

Something is not adding up...Im not sure religion is truly trending downward...it doesnt appear to be true imo.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its is strange, that religion seems to be on the downward trend in this country...but the Supreme Court rules in religions favor? And not only the abortion issue, many other laws are based on religious law as well...I dont see anyone calling for these laws to be redacted though?

The Catholic church is STILL very powerful and influential in the world today...(even though belief is trending downward?) That doesnt make sense...shouldnt the churches influence decrease as well?

Ive said this before, even though the Catholic Church was found guilty of protecting and hiding child molesters, NOT A SINGLE CHURCH was run out of town?!!! In fact, 10s of 1000s of parents send their kids to catholic schools every day!

Something is not adding up...Im not sure religion is truly trending downward...it doesnt appear to be true imo.
The SCOTUS rules according to law, not popular opinion.

And I've said it before, as secularism increases in America I think people just don't pretend like they used to a generation ago. Those that don't believe simply see no reason to get up and go to church, where they did before.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:47 AM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
It is a complex dynamic and could go either way. I have long seen the tendency to radicalization (in both religious and political terms) to reflect the death throes of an unsustainable authoritarian system. And it does. But at the same time, we can, to borrow a Biblical metaphor, still end up wandering for 40 years in the wilderness before the system finally breathes its last. Who knows what fascist, regressive dystopian hellscapes may await us on the path to a better world?

And sometimes the rabid elements of a group can, through sheer ruthlessness, have an influence on the wider society all out of proportion to their actual numbers. Rushdoony's theocratic Christian Reconstructionism movement for example has brooded in the background since the 1960s with some predecessors folded in from as far back as the 1930s, quietly power-brokering and influence-peddling in the shadows, letting other groups handle the public front, and having quite a significant impact on the public square in ways you have to tease out with investigative reporting to really understand.

I would commend to anyone to spend the time on the limited docu-drama series, The Family on Netflix for just one example of a shadowy evangelical organization building political influence and power mostly unrecognized. This organization, known mostly as the sponsor of the National Prayer Breakfast, has been instrumental in supporting candidates it feels have god's stamp of approval despite many of them having very serious ethical and moral failures. It is a fascinating combination of naiveté and ruthlessness.

One finds other threads as well. For example, how Henry Parsons Crowell invented both much of modern market branding techniques as president of Quaker Oats and then applied them to Fundamentalist Christianity in his role as 2nd president of Moody Bible Institute and essentially successor to founder Dwight L Moody.

Conservative Christian organizations have their tentacles in far more things than most of us realize. To the extent that the Baptists (for example) might yet enjoy a sudden uptick in popularity. I am not sure exactly how it will play out. All I know is that dark times are ahead in this country. Do not think that the proposed SCOTUS decision on Roe will be the end of it. Expect the clock to be turned back for decades and generations on many fronts in an attempt to re-homogenize American public life. Expect to see marriage rights pulled back, expect to see segregation re-introduced. You can object that these genies are already out of the bottle, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of crackpots willing to shove them back into the bottle or die trying. The laws being seriously proposed right now include all this and more. Whether it remains "red meat for the base" or gains traction for a time remains to be seen.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:00 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
My SB church has grown from 800 in the late 90’s to 6500 today. In addition, we’ve started 30 other churches in the last 10 years.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:06 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Expect to see marriage rights pulled back, expect to see segregation re-introduced. You can object that these genies are already out of the bottle, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of crackpots willing to shove them back into the bottle or die trying. The laws being seriously proposed right now include all this and more. Whether it remains "red meat for the base" or gains traction for a time remains to be seen.
I don't think this will happen in the traditional sense but it has already happened from a political standpoint.

If you are a minority person or a gay person or even a transgender person like Caitlyn Jenner who believes enough like "me" politically and/or a religious standpoint. You are good.

If you don't. Woe be unto you.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:26 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
I doubt there is any significant difference in "drop" among Southern Baptist compared to other denominations. They just happen to be one of the main groups that people like to complain about, though some of it is warranted.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:34 AM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I doubt there is any significant difference in "drop" among Southern Baptist compared to other denominations. They just happen to be one of the main groups that people like to complain about, though some of it is warranted.
Not to mention the guy from Canada is the one who brought it up.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:42 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not to mention the guy from Canada is the one who brought it up.
Good catch! Maybe we need to start bad-mouthing those hosers to the north, eh? LOL

Old 05-13-2022, 12:45 PM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Well they are a major denomination in the US as to influence and have had decent numbers. So it's not illegitimate to see it as one (of several) bellwethers.

As jimmiej points out, individual churches in that denomination seem to be thriving, it is more of an overall thing and from what I've read off & on the drop in numbers may reflect as much an internal schism where some congregations have gone independent or joined with other evangelical groups, over differences in direction and emphasis.

The more interesting numbers are the overall increases in the religiously unaffiliated. And even those numbers are a little bit hard to pin down because how people self-identify is rather compartmentalized. I often use the example of my wife, who is clearly an atheist, definitionally speaking, but probably would not identify as one in a survey because it is a label with a lot of social downsides. To a survey taker she might say she is areligious or perhaps agnostic. To a religious inquirer she would probably say that she is "open to and respectful of all possibilities" as a way of deflecting from her internal belief that religion by and large is incoherent nonsense. Only as age has reduced her ability to give a fig what people think has she started to give any sort of voice to her actual lack of belief in any deities, and she would still soft-peddle it to the general public.

It's the same with the Nones, they are all over the place, many perhaps not going to any church yet holding fast to some spiritual practices such as prayer or meditation, usually loosely based on what they were born to, such that some Nones may actually be more devout / pious in important ways than some church-goers.

Last edited by mordant; 05-13-2022 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality