Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 05:56 AM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I only have one child.

I once heard a saying, "Stupidity has saved many a man from madness." During a difficult time, I attended a NAMI support group for family members. One of the facilitators said he had worked with a group of mentally ill people with dx's ranging from bipolar to schizophrenia. All of them were PhDs or candidates.

No, AA does not work for everyone. My daughter has lost friends to overdoses and suicides that she knew in her groups. She also knows accomplished people who live sober lives and attend meetings.
It is a long grueling time, dont know when you will see that light at the end the tunnel, and then a job after that.
Being sober is a life long work for most, and attending meetings is par of it, as well as giving back. It is hard work and like any other accomplishment in life, such as a PhD and a job, it requires commitment and faith, however you define faith. And a lot of support from the community is part of it.
Sounds a lot like religion, doesn’t it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 06:37 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
My father is an alcoholic and it has severely negatively impacted his life and those around him. He use to not be this way.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:07 AM

1,858 posts, read 797,497 times

Old 08-16-2022, 11:36 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
See above ^^^^^

So... no emphasis on religion, huh? Which many here have suggested.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
See above ^^^^^

So... no emphasis on religion, huh? Which many here have suggested.
Where do you see reference to religion?

Old 08-16-2022, 12:14 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
It says on the Hazelden Center's page, which is connected with Betty Ford and which put out this book, that they added "non-religious spiritual care" at some point on their historical page.

The book is not put out by AA itself, although it appears they use an AA resource for the first part and that the meditation and prayer was added by this Hazelden Center.

Of course, there are also atheist-specific AA groups, as has been discussed on this forum before.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:34 PM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It says on the Hazelden Center's page, which is connected with Betty Ford and which put out this book, that they added "non-religious spiritual care" at some point on their historical page.

The book is not put out by AA itself, although it appears they use an AA resource for the first part and that the meditation and prayer was added by this Hazelden Center.

Of course, there are also atheist-specific AA groups, as has been discussed on this forum before.
When I was in OA for about a year (and they basically use AA materials), they addressed that with me since I am a Buddhist atheist. Their response was vague, but essentially went along the lines of 'a force beyond yourself', and they listed things like meditation, mindfulness, etc.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Where do you see reference to religion?
Please read the page he posted. It is referenced numerous times.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Please read the page he posted. It is referenced numerous times.
I see Divinity, God, Higher Power. Not Christianity, Judaism or Hinduism etc. One can believe in a Higher Power and Divinity without any religious affiliation. I don't consider them the same although they support each other.

I agree atheists will have difficulty with this. I am not sure how that element of yielding power to another source can be reconciled with atheism, but apparently many manage to do so successfully. It will be interesting to know how many do and if the experience change their perspective in any way.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I see Divinity, God, Higher Power. Not Christianity, Judaism or Hinduism etc. One can believe in a Higher Power and Divinity without any religious affiliation. I don't consider them the same although they support each other.

I agree atheists will have difficulty with this. I am not sure how that element of yielding power to another source can be reconciled with atheism, but apparently many manage to do so successfully. It will be interesting to know how many do and if the experience change their perspective in any way.
Yet you concur that the religious overtones are there.

There are secular programs that help. They are not as wide-spread as AA, nor are they as well known. But just because it is well known does not make it the go to.

One of the largest is the SMART recovery program. From their "About" page:
SMART is not just any mutual-support program. Our science-based approach emphasizes self-empowerment and self-reliance. There’s no lifetime commitment; you decide when the time is right to move on. You choose how to personalize your own plan for successful change. SMART can be used both as a stand-alone program or in combination with other recovery paths. SMART Recovery recognizes the only one who can become truly expert on your recovery is you.
Notice the difference of emphasis on who is in control. More importantly, it is science backed, not anecdotally backed like AA.

The program works under the theory that addiction is a bad habit that can be cured through evidence-based therapies like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. The program also uses the principles of motivational interviewing, using all of these therapeutic options to teach addiction sufferers how to recognize the causes of their addiction and how to change their behaviors through coping mechanisms.

Addictions are horrible things. It affects not only the individual, but their family and community. It behooves those looking for treatment to take the best available choice. Science backed always is that better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality