Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times

Advertisements

This question should not offend anyone but I am really curious. Why is it that in most "black" churches the reverend/preacher always have to yell, shout, scream when giving a sermon? Ive never seen this done in any Catholic church Ive been to. Ive never seen it done at any synagogue Ive been to. Ive never seen it done at any buddhist temple Ive been to. Okay, I did see it in a white church in the movie "Borat"

Im just curious. Why yell and scream and shout and rhyme? Why cant the point be made in a regular speaking voice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 AM

Ive even been to some Jeohovas Witness Kingdom Hall meetings with friends and no one ever shouted/screamed/yelled or rhymed when giving the sermon. And these were in ALL BLACK areas. Is it just a black baptist thing?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
My guess is it dates to slavery. They were introduced to Christianity but kept their African roots of rhythm and dance. ????

Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM

I dont know. Im sure the message is usually good, but to me, its an instant turnoff to be yelled at by anyone.

There was one church I went to in Inglewood, CA and the first 30-45 minutes or so was nothing but the band playing. They were GOOOOOOD. It was like a concert. Then, the reverend guy got up there an started yelling, screaming and rhyming and I was outta there. It was such a disappointment.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I dont know. Im sure the message is usually good, but to me, its an instant turnoff to be yelled at by anyone.

There was one church I went to in Inglewood, CA and the first 30-45 minutes or so was nothing but the band playing. They were GOOOOOOD. It was like a concert. Then, the reverend guy got up there an started yelling, screaming and rhyming and I was outta there. It was such a disappointment.

different strokes for different folks I suppose..

Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,580,782 times
LOL.. I find it really entertaining. Not necessary but really entertaining. Yeah, I am a Jehovah's Witness and as was mentioned before, the black friends in our halls are not nearly as demonstrative as their Baptist neighbors.

But they sure can sing!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
I find it odd how segregated churches are. My church has over 2500 members, and probably less than 50 are black, even though the church is near a predominately black neighborhood. There are many smaller churchs in the area that seem to only have black members, so my guess is that there's just a very different style of worship and people don't feel comfortable crossing over to such a different worship style.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM

250 posts, read 336,169 times
Blacks, especially in the South, love to yell and scream. It is part of their worship and also their activism. I meet few blacks who are not activists for their race... not people, but their race.

It is the blacks who brought southern gospel music to fame, but also them who brought R&B out of the brothels and into the mainstream. My black friends know their heritage and live in harmony with whites, but some blacks, especially Hussein and his cronies, have it out for anyone not black. For the disbelievers, time will tell, it always does.

My brother in law is half black and wishes people would just shut up about race and live well on their own merits. I agree.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Doesn't the bible say to make a joyful noise unto the Lord? Maybe we should take a lesson from them, and not be ashamed to show our joy and happiness in knowing Him..

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Yeah, I am a Jehovah's Witness and as was mentioned before, the black friends in our halls are not nearly as demonstrative as their Baptist neighbors.

But they sure can sing!

But sing slow sad sounding songs: "If you.......keep your eyes......on the prize".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality