Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 01:05 AM

6,941 posts, read 6,869,734 times

Advertisements

As a complete outsider of this, (since my childhood church did not have this phenomena) my understanding of it is that, it is the Holy Spirit filling the person and causing them to express themselves in sounds without any limitation.

Someone looking at this phenomena for the first time might think it is just a babble of sound, but is there any meaning in it for others?
What is the point of it?
What can be gained from a Speaking in Tongues event?
What can the person doing the Speaking expect from the other members of the church?
Is it a special even which is talked about in the church for weeks afterwards? Does it make a kind-of celebrity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 02:26 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
The last point- it is an event that happens at virtually every worship service, so hardly noteworthy.
You might get more constructive answers to this question on the Christianity forum, as it’s something practiced by Pentecostal or charismatic Christians.

Old 11-27-2022, 04:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I went to a Charismatic Church service, maybe 7 total in my life, btw.
Short version: 5 days after I was Baptized inthe Holy Spirit....I actually spoke or prayed in Tongues.
And even I can not tell you 'what it s'!!!
Later, if anyone cares I could tell you extraordinary things about it, tho....cuz wow.
Like the orig questioner, I found this thing amazing and wanted to know more...cuz, I mean - C'mon...later.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:45 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Believer need to be born again in the spirit of Christ and even baptized in the Holy Spirit would be a bonus, other conditions could be a humble spirit giving God the Glory instead of ``I, me, mine``........... There are a lot of speaking tongues gifts came through people who lay on hands of prayer for tongues. The gift came on here some twenty years ago and still is here today where the gift is used in prayer and worship to God

Old 11-27-2022, 06:41 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
The technical term for this is "glossalalia".

The seminal study on it was done in the early 70's. Speakers in various countries were recorded over 5 years.

One key feature of glossalalia is that the speaker always uses phonemes / sounds known to the speaker in whatever their native language is. The sounds are used haphazardly but with cadence and accents and pauses that sound language-like.

"Samples of glossolalia shows a lack of consistency needed for meaningful comparison or translation. It also is not used to communicate between fellow glossolalia speakers."

Old 11-27-2022, 08:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
As a complete outsider of this, (since my childhood church did not have this phenomena) my understanding of it is that, it is the Holy Spirit filling the person and causing them to express themselves in sounds without any limitation.

Someone looking at this phenomena for the first time might think it is just a babble of sound, but is there any meaning in it for others?
What is the point of it?
What can be gained from a Speaking in Tongues event?
What can the person doing the Speaking expect from the other members of the church?
Is it a special even which is talked about in the church for weeks afterwards? Does it make a kind-of celebrity?
They claim that it is the miracle as seen in the book of Acts on Pentecost. The Spirit was poured out on people and they spoke in languages they did not know, or rather people heard them in their own language.

The modern day show of it tends to be just babble, as you pointed out. It's well-meaning people that want to see God move, but they are trying too hard, and they start babbling, attributing to God what he didn't do.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:10 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Believer need to be born again in the spirit of Christ and even baptized in the Holy Spirit would be a bonus, other conditions could be a humble spirit giving God the Glory instead of ``I, me, mine``........... There are a lot of speaking tongues gifts came through people who lay on hands of prayer for tongues. The gift came on here some twenty years ago and still is here today where the gift is used in prayer and worship to God
What does this mean?

Old 11-27-2022, 09:21 AM

412 posts, read 137,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
What does this mean?
It is considered a gift because it is supposedly a spontaneous ability to speak a foreign language. However, many of the practitioners leave out this part:
If anyone speaks in a tongue, two--or at the most three--should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say. If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.
https://www.biblehub.com/1_corinthians/14-27.htm

Old 11-27-2022, 09:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
as in speaking in forked tongue?
White men often speak in forked tongue when they deal with native Americans

Old 11-27-2022, 09:33 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
What does this mean?
If you're asking about the "twenty years ago" part I have no idea. The modern pentecostal movement traces back to the Azusa Street revival of 1906-1915. The charismatic movement is more a 1970s thing where people practiced similar things inside of non-pentecostal denominations. Such denominations (sometimes barely) tolerated this kind of thing because it brought in a different demographic of new converts. It also sometimes went hand-in-hand with other trends; for example Catholic charismatics tended to be associated with the informal mass involving guitars and folk-music which was intensely relatable to young people of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality