Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 08:04 PM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times

Advertisements

I heard that Seventh Day Adventists have the longest lifespan of any religious group including atheists on earth. They also have low rates of cancer.

They view their body as a temple from God and therefore typically avoid tobacco, alcohol all while having a plant based diet and getting exercise.

Wow! Way to go Adventists!

I found this article, which gives some proof to what I heard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...udy-finds.html

On the interesting but "very different" side of things, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg of the cereal family was an Adventist who was obsessed with health and opened a sanitarium where some of their "healthy" measures were....not so appropriate to describe.

Yikes!

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ge-strange-man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 12:13 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
the link provided in the OP does NOT support what is stated in the OP. it only compares Adventists to the general USA population. It does not compare them to other religious groups. So no, definitely NOT "longest lifespan of any religious group on earth."

Pew data shows that Jews have the longest life expectancy, then the unaffilliated, then Buddhists, then "other religions," then folk relgions, then Crstians

Old 02-09-2023, 01:03 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I heard that Seventh Day Adventists have the longest lifespan of any religious group including atheists on earth. They also have low rates of cancer.

They view their body as a temple from God and therefore typically avoid tobacco, alcohol all while having a plant based diet and getting exercise.

Wow! Way to go Adventists!

I found this article, which gives some proof to what I heard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...udy-finds.html

On the interesting but "very different" side of things, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg of the cereal family was an Adventist who was obsessed with health and opened a sanitarium where some of their "healthy" measures were....not so appropriate to describe.

Yikes!

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ge-strange-man
I thought Mormons were very similar in this regard.
No alcohol, no cigarettes, no coffee etc.
I remember going to Hawaii years ago, and going through a Mormons town - which was totally shut down for the sabbath.
Dunno whether they are similarly renowned for their longevity or not?

Old 02-09-2023, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the link provided in the OP does NOT support what is stated in the OP. it only compares Adventists to the general USA population. It does not compare them to other religious groups. So no, definitely NOT "longest lifespan of any religious group on earth."

Pew data shows that Jews have the longest life expectancy, then the unaffilliated, then Buddhists, then "other religions," then folk relgions, then Crstians
I'll ask my friend the name of the documentary that we watched yesterday at her place. It does say in that the Seventh Day Adventists have the longest lifespan of any religious group.

It's possible that the documentary is wrong, but your source lumps in ALL Christians in together, which would not then disprove the documentary's assertion.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:55 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
I'll ask my friend the name of the documentary that we watched yesterday at her place. It does say in that the Seventh Day Adventists have the longest lifespan of any religious group.

It's possible that the documentary is wrong, but your source lumps in ALL Christians in together, which would not then disprove the documentary's assertion.
yes it is always good to provide source. thank you.

Blue zones are well documented as areas with increased longevity, however Blue zones are location specific, and are not religion-specific.

"There are five places in the world – dubbed blue zones – where people live the longest, and are healthiest: Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece, and Loma Linda, California"

Old 02-09-2023, 08:50 AM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:

Jews do have fairly long life expectancies, as a whole. But the Pew survey doesn’t refute QB’s assertions (which are backed up by a myriad of peer-reviewed studies) because it lumps all Christians together.

I once had a nice conversation with a Seventh Day Adventist on a plane. He shared a lot of interesting things about his beliefs, including the healthy living aspect of the Seventh Day Adventist lifestyle. In addition to having strong communal ties, Jews tend not to be heavy drinkers and probably take better care of themselves, especially in old age, than the general population as a whole. But while plenty of Jews lead healthy lifestyles, they are not religiously commanded to do so in the way that Seventh Day Adventists are. SDAs are fairly unique in that regard.

Quote:
"There are five places in the world – dubbed blue zones – where people live the longest, and are healthiest: Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece, and Loma Linda, California"
Note that Loma Linda has an unusually large SDA community. Surely, that’s not coincidental.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:26 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
The real religious group with the longest life span is this one:

https://www.yesmagazine.org/health-h...ir%20seventies.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:33 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Interesting article, thanks for posting!

Those highlights make a lot of sense. Very much along the lines promoting peace and balance, both inwardly and outwardly. Most people make life way too complicated and edgy, when there's a beautiful simplicity that's available. Instead of the modern jungle of adding / doing / trying more, it might be about removing and deleting much that's not necessary.

Old 02-09-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
yes it is always good to provide source. thank you.

Blue zones are well documented as areas with increased longevity, however Blue zones are location specific, and are not religion-specific.

The documentary was "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It claimed the Seventh Day Adventists have the longest lifespan of any religious group because they eat very healthy and exercise due to religious beliefs.

I can't guarantee that it is 100% accurate though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Interesting! Go nuns!

Old 02-09-2023, 06:03 PM

2,066 posts, read 2,161,397 times
Quote:
The documentary was "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It claimed the Seventh Day Adventists have the longest lifespan of any religious group because they eat very healthy and exercise due to religious beliefs.

I can't guarantee that it is 100% accurate though.

Interesting! Go nuns!
The little I know about the Seventh Day Adventists was from my Idaho grandmother who lived to 77 years. Two of her daughters lived to 90 and two of her sons lived to 79 and 85. They weren't Seventh Day Adventists, weren't nuns and didn't live in the Blue Zone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality