Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 09:03 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
My husband bought me Sirrius Radio for my car like if the weather is too cold to do a stroller walk, but I need to get the boys a nap so I can take them for a car ride but have something to listen to.

I am not sure what channel I was on, but it was one of the Oldies channels like 80s on 8 or something like that and this song came on and it was just so beautiful it moved me to tears.

After some research it blends a variety of religions to preach more unity and not being divided by religious sectionalism.

It's called George Harrison's My Sweet Lord.

I hope some of you may find meaning in it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4lpQWcT5g
I too like this song, regardless who actually can claim it's creation.

In fact, I find many " secular " songs to be quite edifying.

The " christian" music industry does not have a monopoly on spiritually edifying music and lyrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 04:44 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I too like this song, regardless who actually can claim it's creation.

In fact, I find many " secular " songs to be quite edifying.

The " christian" music industry does not have a monopoly on spiritually edifying music and lyrics.
Christian Music, as a genre, can be pretty bland though.
Not my cup of tea, but others are welcome to it.
Crossover songs like this from George Harrison, are much better. (even with the plagiarism lawsuit claim)
Even Let it Be, which is a Beatles song from their last album of the same name , has very religious overtones- especially to Catholics. (although the Mary here is in fact Paul McCartney’s late mother)
Interestingly, another late Beatles song from John Lennon, got little radio airplay back in the day due to references to “Christ”, and the crucifixion. (The Ballad of John and Yoko)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1OgNqBkVE

Last edited by Derek41; 04-06-2023 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-07-2023, 04:24 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
George Harrison was found guilty in 1976 of copyright infringement for the song "My Sweet Lord"

"Just a few months after Harrison released “My Sweet Lord,” he was sued by Bright Tunes Music Corporation for copyright infringement. The organization claimed that Harrison had taken unauthorized inspiration from the Ronnie Mack song “He’s So Fine.” Bright Tunes owned the publishing rights to the song at that point in time due to Mack’s death. During the lawsuit, George Harrison explained that he actually drew inspiration from The Edwin Hawkins Signers’ song “Oh Happy Day."

listen to both songs and hear why he was found guilty of copyright infringement. He's So Fine was released in 1963. Oh Happy Day was released in 1968 by The Chiffons. And My Sweet Lord in 1970.
I never knew that. Thank you for sharing. Perhaps it was a case of cryptomnesia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's the most repetitive song I ever hear. There was almost nothing to write.
It’s not my favorite of favorites, but I think there’s beauty in its lyrical simplicity. It’s far better than most of the overwrought poetry Jim Morrison attempted to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Christian Music, as a genre, can be pretty bland though.
Not my cup of tea, but others are welcome to it.
Crossover songs like this from George Harrison, are much better. (even with the plagiarism lawsuit claim)
Even Let it Be, which is a Beatles song from their last album of the same name , has very religious overtones- especially to Catholics. (although the Mary here is in fact Paul McCartney’s late mother)
Interestingly, another late Beatles song from John Lennon, got little radio airplay back in the day due to references to “Christ”, and the crucifixion. (The Ballad of John and Yoko)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1OgNqBkVE
Christian pop is God-awful (pun somewhat intended). It is inherently derivative beyond derivative and musically showcases the worst of both worlds.

Sacred religious music can be wonderful. Among other genres, modern rock and pop music owes much to Black gospel.

Old 04-07-2023, 07:01 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would guess that with rare exceptions, pretty much everyone on this forum knows that song, and yes, it is a good one.
Yes, it is a great song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
George Harrison was found guilty in 1976 of copyright infringement for the song "My Sweet Lord"

"Just a few months after Harrison released “My Sweet Lord,” he was sued by Bright Tunes Music Corporation for copyright infringement. The organization claimed that Harrison had taken unauthorized inspiration from the Ronnie Mack song “He’s So Fine.” Bright Tunes owned the publishing rights to the song at that point in time due to Mack’s death. During the lawsuit, George Harrison explained that he actually drew inspiration from The Edwin Hawkins Signers’ song “Oh Happy Day."

listen to both songs and hear why he was found guilty of copyright infringement. He's So Fine was released in 1963. Oh Happy Day was released in 1968 by The Chiffons. And My Sweet Lord in 1970.

George Harrison died in 2001 at the age of 58.

Oh Happy Day

He's So Fine
That is interesting and unfortunate that the musician did this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's the most repetitive song I ever hear. There was almost nothing to write.
I love that though.....it allows me to slip into deeper thoughts and deeper emotions. Find a connection on a spiritual level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
QB is much younger than most of us here, Cruithne. She has no memory of the 20h Century.
I was born in 2001. So....things are murky even around 2005ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Are you really just discovering the Beatles QB?

I mean if you are you are in for a treat.
I've known of the Beatles, but not a lot about them. I didn't know that this was a Beatle song, that it existed, or that the musician was one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Christian pop is God-awful (pun somewhat intended). It is inherently derivative beyond derivative and musically showcases the worst of both worlds.
Well....to each their own. It exists, because someone finds it touches their soul.

Old 04-07-2023, 07:24 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Well....to each their own. It exists, because someone finds it touches their soul.
As always, there’s no accounting for taste.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:40 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
The problem with Christian music today is that it is totally formula and the formulas they use are usually copied from secular music.

When Christian "rock" music first came out (circa 1970) the artists had a little more originality in their sound and weren't complete rip offs of secular music. If they were (such as Larry Norman's Dylanesque ballads)...they held their own as a distinct musical contribution.

Here is a nice song by Love Song called Love Song... they were an original Christian group from that period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps2kjBawa5g

Old 04-07-2023, 09:50 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Yes, it is a great song!

That is interesting and unfortunate that the musician did this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I love that though.....it allows me to slip into deeper thoughts and deeper emotions. Find a connection on a spiritual level!

I was born in 2001. So....things are murky even around 2005ish.

I've known of the Beatles, but not a lot about them. I didn't know that this was a Beatle song, that it existed, or that the musician was one of them.

This wasn't really a Beatles song. George Harrison wrote and recorded it after the Beatles broke up. It was on his first solo album, All Things Must Pass.

He actually wrote it while pondering the teachings from his Hindu monk, but, like a lot of good music, it speaks to many people in different ways.

There are other songs by The Beatles, either as a group or as individuals, that have spiritual themes. Look for them while you enjoy their music. A substantial part of it is timeless.

Here's a funny little story that Dhani Harrison told about his father:
I came home one day from school after being chased by kids singing “Yellow Submarine”, and I didn't understand why. It just seemed surreal: why are they singing that song to me? I came home and I freaked out on my dad: 'Why didn't you tell me you were in The Beatles?' And he said, 'Oh, sorry. Probably should have told you that.'

Old 04-07-2023, 04:14 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This wasn't really a Beatles song. George Harrison wrote and recorded it after the Beatles broke up. It was on his first solo album, All Things Must Pass.

He actually wrote it while pondering the teachings from his Hindu monk, but, like a lot of good music, it speaks to many people in different ways.

There are other songs by The Beatles, either as a group or as individuals, that have spiritual themes. Look for them while you enjoy their music. A substantial part of it is timeless.

Here's a funny little story that Dhani Harrison told about his father:
I came home one day from school after being chased by kids singing “Yellow Submarine”, and I didn't understand why. It just seemed surreal: why are they singing that song to me? I came home and I freaked out on my dad: 'Why didn't you tell me you were in The Beatles?' And he said, 'Oh, sorry. Probably should have told you that.'

Oh that's brilliant Mensa. Thanks for sharing.
All of the Beatles members had / have managed to remain very humble.
I'm so proud to have been raised in the same place.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:37 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Oh that's brilliant Mensa. Thanks for sharing.
All of the Beatles members had / have managed to remain very humble.
I'm so proud to have been raised in the same place.
bold above is putting ordinary flawed human beings on a pedestal.
and as such is a gushing overstatement by an apparent fan, and patently inaccurate.

"hypocrite" is the word that comes to mind. because abuse, violence, and drug addiction were the lived reality of John Lennon as a person. the above post is an example of idolizing, and as such conveniently ignores, well, the reality of how he lived his life.

"The gentle icon the hippies worshipped was actually a man with very serious psychological problems who often flew into uncontrollable fits of rage, which he took out on the women in his life." He was a heroin addict who multiple times was hospitalized and relapsed.

"The man who sang “imagine no possessions” lived a millionaire’s life in a posh New York hotel. The man who sang “imagine no religion” was obsessed with every spiritual and New Age fad that came his way, including Hindu meditation, the I-Ching, and astrology of all kinds. The man who sang “all you need is love” was a bitter, violent, and angry man who abused his family and friends. The man who praised having “nothing to kill or die for” helped finance and publicize radical groups who extolled the use of violence. Quite literally, everything his fans see personified in the icon of John Lennon represents the ideals the man himself either couldn’t or wouldn’t live up to."

this example of non-humbleness is one that is well known, When John Lennon’s ‘More Popular Than Jesus’ Controversy Turned Ugly: How an offhand remark led to protests, death threats and the end of the Beatles' touring career

"Christianity will go,” Lennon said. “It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue about that; I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first—rock ’n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me.” As Cleave noted in the profile, Lennon had been using his time off from Beatles commitments to read about religion."

Lennon died a violent death at age 40.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-08-2023 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-08-2023, 11:13 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
"John Lennon was — by his own admission — physically and verbally abusive to his first wife, Cynthia Powell, who died in 2015, and he was often cold and distant with their son, Julian. Julian Lennon, who declined an interview request, has spoken candidly about his troubled relationship with his famous dad, who also had an absent father.

"I have to say that, from my point of view, I felt he was a hypocrite," Julian Lennon told The Daily Telegraph in 1998. "Dad could talk about peace and love out loud to the world, but he could never show it to the people who supposedly meant the most to him: his wife and son. How can you talk about peace and love and have a family in bits and pieces — no communication, adultery, divorce? You can't do it, not if you're being true and honest with yourself."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality