Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 02:12 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times

Advertisements

Some theists claim to have direct experiences with “God.” What’s going on here? Is it ultimately caused by chemicals in the brain? Or is it literally God himself? Is there any way to determine the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 02:24 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Some theists claim to have direct experiences with “God.” What’s going on here? Is it ultimately caused by chemicals in the brain? Or is it literally God himself? Is there any way to determine the truth?
Since EVERYTHING we experience is the result of what you call "chemicals in the brain," I don't know how you would make any such distinctions.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:27 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
bold above, yes. experience it for yourself.
as many have. leaving descriptions, map, guide in various sacred texts and traditions lo these many thousands and tens of thousands of years.

it is not a spectator spot. to validate and verify requires participation.
otherwise it's like trying to learn to cook without ever setting foot in the kitchen or without ever experimenting with various methods, techniques, cuisines, flavors, ingredients, variations.

in short no one can do it for you, and no one can prove it to you.
the only person who can do this is you.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-09-2023 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 02:32 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I was very young when I asked Jesus into my life, and He has been with me 67 years blessing and intervening for me all along.
I know His-voice in my life and I depend on His direction in both big and small issues.
God answers prayer and teaches me how and what to pray and whom to pray for often with specific direction.
First law, Love God with all one’s heart soul and might.
How much you invest in this relationship, God multiples in return.
Jesus said, Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.
Righteous from Gods perspective, not man’s.
Jesus said, I only do what my Father tells me.
That is our example.
It’s not academics.
It’s a relationship.
Matthew 7;21,22,23,

Old 05-09-2023, 02:33 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
God is not *an* objective reality.

God is objective reality itself.

It is God that defines reality, and reality only exists because of God.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:36 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

You aren't wrong about everything, Mike!

Old 05-09-2023, 02:38 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You aren't wrong about everything, Mike!
Once again, you and I find agreement

Old 05-09-2023, 02:41 PM

551 posts, read 191,802 times
Quote:
I suppose it's like "What Is It Like to Be a Bat?" as in the paper by Thomas Nagel. In other words the only way to know is through direct subjective experience.

It also depends on how one might perceive a direct experience with God. For instance a non-dualist might describe such an experience as the waking equivalent of a lucid dream.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:43 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since EVERYTHING we experience is the result of what you call "chemicals in the brain," I don't know how you would make any such distinctions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

That’s pantheism. Which is fine, but ultimately kind of meaningless. It’s just semantics. If “god” is just another word for “the universe,” why does “god” even matter?

I just had a chicken sandwich for lunch. A chicken sandwich is part of the universe. That means I just ate a small piece of “god” for lunch. The word “god” loses all meaning.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:44 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
That’s pantheism. Which is fine, but ultimately kind of meaningless. It’s just semantics. If “god” is just another word for “the universe,” why does “god” even matter?

I just had a chicken sandwich for lunch. A chicken sandwich is part of the universe. That means I just ate a small piece of “god” for lunch. The word “god” loses all meaning.
i agree. yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality