Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 09:16 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Are we going to talk same-sex-attraction and all that entails or are we going to keep arguing about what the definition of what a cult is? I'm trying to get this thread back on topic and I'm not going to keep feeding into that bear in hibernation's personal jabs and insulting my intelligence. He is not worth responding to because he actually does have a cult mentality. And how do they behave? JUST LIKE HIM. Anyone who consistently argues with atheists, is questioning their faith. Project much O'Darby? Ok, so I'm not a mod but would everyone stop feeding the bears?
I'm getting a little confused whether we're talking about same-sex sexual attraction or just same sex attraction...

Needless to say, we can all appreciate an "attraction" toward people of our same sex. AKA friends, and generally speaking people very much appreciate friends whether they are of the same sex or not. I know I sure have and still do. Sexual attraction is another matter however.

Confused, because you explain you don't necessarily "want to be with a woman sexually, I'm just at a stage in my life where it does not matter what gender a person is, they just need to be a good, decent human being."

That reads like nothing more than what a good friend might be. "A good, decent human being." Additionally or ideally someone who you can relate to, be compatible with. Especially if you are going to spend time together. Like on a long road trip.

Good friends are hard to come by. Hard to keep too, but find a good friend who is male or female and then let your emotions guide you with respect to how that friendship should further develop one way or another. Be true to yourself and the rest will follow as it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 06:22 PM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm getting a little confused whether we're talking about same-sex sexual attraction or just same sex attraction...

Needless to say, we can all appreciate an "attraction" toward people of our same sex. AKA friends, and generally speaking people very much appreciate friends whether they are of the same sex or not. I know I sure have and still do. Sexual attraction is another matter however.

Confused, because you explain you don't necessarily "want to be with a woman sexually, I'm just at a stage in my life where it does not matter what gender a person is, they just need to be a good, decent human being."

That reads like nothing more than what a good friend might be. "A good, decent human being." Additionally or ideally someone who you can relate to, be compatible with. Especially if you are going to spend time together. Like on a long road trip.

Good friends are hard to come by. Hard to keep too, but find a good friend who is male or female and then let your emotions guide you with respect to how that friendship should further develop one way or another. Be true to yourself and the rest will follow as it should.
Ok,let me make myself very clear, the original comment that was made about men with men, which you originally said was "gross" and I happened to use the same word, even though that's not what I really meant to say.....I've been trying to make up for it ever since!

Jesus, all I wanted to know is if gay people thought that straight people who "choose" to be "gay".......whether or not they are upset by that and do they think those people are posers and don't really get homosexuality, OR are they ok with that?

That's it. Then, I mentioned that I would like to be in a NON-SEXUAL relationship with the right person who was ok with that, whether they are male or female. I admire attractive women, but I have never been with a woman sexually.

So, I do not want a sexual relationship, period. If I were gay, I would already be with a woman. I just want to learn more about it, like everything else in the world. I have some catching up to do. I'm a student, learning. I think I've mentioned that a time or two? I could not be more true to myself than I am at this point in my life, that's not the problem. I do need friends, but they will not be found in my area.

When I finally get to leave, I will be going to bigger places and meeting all kinds of people, and I hope that many of them will be gay. I don't want to be ignorant about it. In the meantime, I'm here for everyone's irritating entertainment. I'm learning about people, good or bad, places I've never been or even knew about and learn everything I can.

I don't always phrase things correctly. My brain is tripping over itself to get to the next thing to learn.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:21 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Ok,let me make myself very clear, the original comment that was made about men with men, which you originally said was "gross" and I happened to use the same word, even though that's not what I really meant to say.....I've been trying to make up for it ever since!

Jesus, all I wanted to know is if gay people thought that straight people who "choose" to be "gay".......whether or not they are upset by that and do they think those people are posers and don't really get homosexuality, OR are they ok with that?

That's it. Then, I mentioned that I would like to be in a NON-SEXUAL relationship with the right person who was ok with that, whether they are male or female. I admire attractive women, but I have never been with a woman sexually.

So, I do not want a sexual relationship, period. If I were gay, I would already be with a woman. I just want to learn more about it, like everything else in the world. I have some catching up to do. I'm a student, learning. I think I've mentioned that a time or two? I could not be more true to myself than I am at this point in my life, that's not the problem. I do need friends, but they will not be found in my area.

When I finally get to leave, I will be going to bigger places and meeting all kinds of people, and I hope that many of them will be gay. I don't want to be ignorant about it. In the meantime, I'm here for everyone's irritating entertainment. I'm learning about people, good or bad, places I've never been or even knew about and learn everything I can.

I don't always phrase things correctly. My brain is tripping over itself to get to the next thing to learn.
I'm not sure I was the one who used the term "gross" or maybe I just don't remember, but no matter...

My prior comment was focused on your more recent comment which now you point out was a little different from what you originally wanted to know. Here's to our ongoing learning no matter how many times we may trip along the way. Good luck on your path to wherever it may lead and with whomever you might meet along the way. Cheers!

Sincerely,

LM

Old 09-06-2023, 06:02 PM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not sure I was the one who used the term "gross" or maybe I just don't remember, but no matter...

My prior comment was focused on your more recent comment which now you point out was a little different from what you originally wanted to know. Here's to our ongoing learning no matter how many times we may trip along the way. Good luck on your path to wherever it may lead and with whomever you might meet along the way. Cheers!

Sincerely,

LM
Thank you LearnMe, I did trip over my words in pretty much all of my posts lol. I'm trying to slow it down. I leave things out and it seems disconnected and I just assume everyone knows what I mean. It's strange at my age to be a "student of life" but I've had a few insane delays. In conclusion, I think gays are being persecuted by religion and homophobes, and I try to put myself in their shoes. I'm just trying to understand.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:38 PM

22,382 posts, read 19,299,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Let's knock off the discussion about cults. If you keep it up long enough, then somebody will prove that YOU are in a cult, because everything will end up that way.

Over in the Christianity forum, we finally put a definition together that seems to be working. Cults are small single groups with extraordinary devotion to their leaders.

Here's how we defined it in the Christianity forum. Let's not be calling churches with millions of members "cults."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy /
We have deleted posts consistently that have referred to any Christian denomination as a "cult." Expect to receive an infraction if you feel compelled to do so.

Among other things that define a cult are a) it is typically a small, single group of people, b) the group has one charismatic leader, and c) the members are expected to give extraordinary amounts to the group. There may be other defining characteristics.

Don't refer to any churches as "cults" unless it is clearly and obviously seen as a cult by mainstream readers. (Examples would include Heaven's Gate, The People's Temple, and the Branch Davidians.)
great reminder. thank you mensa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality