Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 08:47 AM

50,913 posts, read 24,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was my understanding that GC is Muslim. I could be wrong, but because we don't have many regular posters here who are Muslim, especially since the loss of Woodrow LI, it was something I noted. We do have truth teller, but that poster doesn't really engage in dialogue, just quotes.

In one post he mentions "my church" along with "my mosque". Perhaps he argues with himself internally. JK. I think he is a practicing Muslim, but of course he can speak for himself.
So I guess "godist" fits. And I don't use that as a derogatory term. Simply a person who believes in god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 10:21 AM

6,089 posts, read 2,871,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
That seems like a very recent development. For many years in my teens into my twenties I remember the big argument that Christians of the homophobic variety were making was that homosexuality was altogether a choice. When they finally saw the truth, suddenly now it's "the act is wrong, not the thoughts".

In reality, trying to make this distinction is not going to help their cause. It is not mentally healthy for homosexual individuals to suppress their attractions and try to be with the opposite sex or remain celibate.

This is something that a God should have known before authorizing any of these texts... Just more reason for me to believe that these are the texts of clueless ancient humans and not an all-knowing deity.
And, it's not mentally healthy for someone who likes food to suppress their desire for food and not engage in gluttonous behavior, right?

And, it's not mentally healthy for someone who likes money to suppress their desire for more money and not engage in avarice and greed, right?

What God ordains as sin is what God ordains as sin, whether you and I agree with it or not. We are commanded to follow and obey His rules, not solely the ones we agree with. We are commanded to ignore some of our instincts for the greater good of the world and His glory.

If you can excuse one sin, then you can excuse all of them, which obliterates the entire purpose of God blessing us with His written word.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
And, it's not mentally healthy for someone who likes food to suppress their desire for food and not engage in gluttonous behavior, right?

And, it's not mentally healthy for someone who likes money to suppress their desire for more money and not engage in avarice and greed, right?

What God ordains as sin is what God ordains as sin, whether you and I agree with it or not. We are commanded to follow and obey His rules, not solely the ones we agree with. We are commanded to ignore some of our instincts for the greater good of the world and His glory.

If you can excuse one sin, then you can excuse all of them, which obliterates the entire purpose of God blessing us with His written word.
You need to leave out the "we" part of it. Everyone does not come from your religious perspective.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:33 AM

6,089 posts, read 2,871,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You need to leave out the "we" part of it. Everyone does not come from your religious perspective.
If that's your only complaint, then I consider my post a "win"!

The word "we" refers to "we Christians".

Old 08-15-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
If that's your only complaint, then I consider my post a "win"!

The word "we" refers to "we Christians".
Rethink your win.
I didn't even know this was about winning or losing.

And clearly, since there are christian churches that accept gay marriage, that "we" of yours doesn't quite work.

You need to get out more.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:34 AM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:

That's the crux of the argument, though. Not everyone agrees that "God ordains as sin" same-sex attraction. The ancient people whose tribal culture did not allow for it and wrote it into their law (and claimed that it was God's law) thought so, but of course encouraging same-sex relationships would go against their need to produce more children and a stronger tribe, so they had good reason to try to shame homosexuals by naming it sin.

I don't see God giving a rat's ass about people's sexual preferences any more than I think it was REALLY God who said not to eat pork. Why on earth would the Creator care about such petty things? No, those rules have humanity written all over them.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:38 AM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So I guess "godist" fits. And I don't use that as a derogatory term. Simply a person who believes in god.
I looked it up to see if it was a word, and apparently it is. Allrighty then.

Old 08-16-2023, 02:37 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,007,458 times
Quote:

Your straw man would also apply to heterosexuals.

After all, it's not mentally healthy for someone who likes sex to suppress their desire for more sex and not engage in fornication, right?

Oh dear, according to the logical conclusion of your argument, no sex for you.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:00 AM

7,598 posts, read 6,098,401 times
Quote:

EXCEPT ....
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SIN !!!!!!! It is a concept, an idea, and a very unhealthy one at that. THere is not such thing as SIN

Which goes back to what the OP mentions in the Title.

I personally don't give a Rattus norvegicus distal alimentary canal opening who lives with who, who sleeps with who, because what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms is NO ONE ELSE's Business.

From a psychological point of view, only someone with sexually repressed issues would obsess with the sex lives of strangers anyhow. (Freud)

SO what your imaginary Diety ordains as wrong does not necessarily make something wrong.....and what some iron age era, superstitious tribesmen believed does not dictate what we should believe now.

SO get over it. Many of have learned that the concept of "Sin" is a very unhealthy barrier to self actualization, and have found that life is better without it.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some money to go earn.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
EXCEPT ....
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SIN !!!!!!! It is a concept, an idea, and a very unhealthy one at that. THere is not such thing as SIN

Which goes back to what the OP mentions in the Title.

I personally don't give a Rattus norvegicus distal alimentary canal opening who lives with who, who sleeps with who, because what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms is NO ONE ELSE's Business.

From a psychological point of view, only someone with sexually repressed issues would obsess with the sex lives of strangers anyhow. (Freud)

SO what your imaginary Diety ordains as wrong does not necessarily make something wrong.....and what some iron age era, superstitious tribesmen believed does not dictate what we should believe now.

SO get over it. Many of have learned that the concept of "Sin" is a very unhealthy barrier to self actualization, and have found that life is better without it.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some money to go earn.
This is somewhat akin to my belief as a Theravada Buddhist.

To me it is not important if a person is straight or gay or bi. What is important is how one conducts themselves within that framework. Are they responsible or irresponsible? Do they treat the other person with respect or not?

For example, a straight man or woman having an affair outside of their marriage is, to me, irresponsible and hurtful toward their partner.

But even then, it is not what I see as sin. Sin is, to me, a very nebulous concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality