Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2023, 08:31 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I assure you that I am not confusing what theoretical physicists do. For example, even now some theoretical physicists are still trying to find evidence which would validate 'string theory' even though that's proving to be unfruitful. As for YouTube, top theoretical physicists lectures are posted on YouTube. And I do read books. So don't condescendingly get a kick out of me.

You might try reading, or even listening on YouTube, to Max Tegmark's ideas on the different multiverse levels that possibly exist. His book 'Our Mathematical Universe' describes his ideas on four different levels or kinds of possible multiverses.

Then too, you have Brian Greene and Sean Carroll, all the various physics lectures and events such as the World Science Festival. Your ideas about YouTube are a bit naive.
Sorry. Again, don't get me wrong. I have watched many a program having to do with all variety of subjects. Many of them thanks to YouTube. I guess I was thinking more about so many of the ridiculous YouTube videos posted in this forum for purposes of pushing some pretty outlandish if not ridiculous ideas about one thing or another.

In fact, I've often marveled to people I know how amazing it is we can all find some great videos on YouTube regardless the subject; history, nature, science, religion, sports, music -- you name it! Let me walk that one back a bit.

As for theoretical physicists, perhaps I've been a little hasty about that too, but again anyone can speculate about just about anything, and of course you can write a book about any such speculations as well, but validating something like the string theory is still a function of what can be observed or deduced in our known universe. What is theoretical and "unfruitful" in the way of what can be proven or validated may very well be because the theory is flawed or just not valid.

Same with what might "possibly exist." Of course there are many who will speculate along those lines. Professionally or as an amateur like me. Not all that different from how people speculate about the supernatural, heaven, hell, a god or gods. What can be proven as true is another matter however. Otherwise or until then, it's just speculation that may sound scientific, but unless or until scientifically tested, verified and proven, it's all just theoretical. Anything that will be fruitful in terms of proving what is the truth about such matters will no doubt be by way of what can be accomplished with whatever we are capable of proving in the known universe in any case. Good luck thinking otherwise.

My point is that we might all do well to distinguish between what is theoretical (imagination, speculation) and what are legitimate claims of truth. Truth that exists and demonstrated to be true for all concerned. AKA universal truth.

Fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 08:42 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When we talk about "evidence" in the bible, I can't help but think back to my years as a principal, frequently investigating student misbehavior...some of it relatively serious. I collected evidence. There were times that the evidence was overwhelming and conclusive. There were other times the evidence was 'sufficient'. And there were other times there was evidence, but it was fairly inconclusive.

It seems that in this disucussion that some of the christians are saying that 'the bible is evidence...you must accept it'. Well, no. I have to weigh it and decide what level of credence I give it. And the fact that there are some things in the bible that may be irrefutable (or nearly so) does not make everything in the bible irrefutable. And it's odd that they don't simply accept -- for example -- the Buddhist scriptures.

And the funny thing is -- the more they talk on this forum, the less I believe in what they believe. They are -- almost without exception -- not what they think they are. They are not the poster boys for their religion.
Indeed, and I think it's important, or should be anyway, to point out that what is a possibility or theoretical or can be imagined does not imply that it's in any way right to suggest all or any such ideas should be somehow disguised as truth. Argued as such or used to imply that what isn't proven as true is no more or less valid than what is. "Lord knows" (again pun intended), we humans have speculated "in spades" about one thing or another to the point of absolute belief in such speculations as if they were truths. Over and over again proven to be nothing of the sort!

Fortunately there are those committed to validation, and in those many cases as well, the truth has been revealed as it should be. Leaving no more need or room for speculation, theory, imagination or further promotion of falsehoods. Check that as well. I guess for some there is always room to promote falsehoods regardless of validation.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:09 AM

17,843 posts, read 13,758,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ok this was not the response I was expecting. If anyone can help me with what i originally asked, I would appreciate
I think he was saying you are gittin' too smart for your britches there.

Relative to the the old myths influencing Christianity... Yes, they (Christians) will twist themselves into knots trying to deny these things while at the same time... accusing you of grand hubris for suggesting such things.

But why should you be surprised. Mr. Scum just told you that Aron's rod magically turned into a snake and ate all the other snakes that the Egyptian rods got magically turned into. He believes that actually happened.

If a person can believe that story is true...

Then it stands to reason that they would refuse to believe evidence contrary to their belief system no matter how strong the evidence is.

And while we had a few rods get turned into snakes in those days... We haven't had any rod to snake activity in quite some time. Well, maybe David Copperfield or somebody can do it. But even faith healers haven't pulled it off lately.

As for my contribution to your inquiry. I like Mithras... a savior who's birthday was December 25th before Jesus showed up. And this is why I don't do "Happy Holidays" or "season's greetings"... Instead I go with "Merry Mithras!!"

Old 09-29-2023, 09:19 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,916,714 times
Eddie! You're a star!!

Thanks for this post and the lead as well as the chuckle.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:33 AM

1,491 posts, read 484,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
The beguiling lying Satan/serpent is the origin of mockery. If mockery is what you seek and look to produce, then go on and seek the father of it. Maybe you could buy some fake jewels while you are at it, since you seek nuggets of mockery to put on display and create your own mocking story to try to sell them at a high price, or even a cut rate so you can boast at the generous deal you claim to be offering. Operating in shadows and hoping you will never be found out.

I figure you will call the Torah mythology as well, while you seek to do one of the very things it reveals. Seeking to claim an above all status for yourself, and at the expense of the One True God and His people, while trying to produce some grand mockery. Much like Pharaoh did when Moses approached him with Aron's staff. But Aron's staff ultimately was not mocked. And Moses left with staff in hand, and not so much for Pharaoh's wise men.

You do not express a desire to seek what is genuine. So, go on and offer your mockery that you claim to find value in and see where it leads you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ok this was not the response I was expecting. If anyone can help me with what i originally asked, I would appreciate
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Well, I'm sure you will find many here who will help you seek to trash and destroy the scriptures. If that is the endeavor you find your pleasure in. I figure I'll let the Atheist's pound away on their keyboards, and fill the forum with millions and millions of their words, as if it is a testimony for them.

I figure it is best to get back to serving the people I work for restoring old cars. I have more work than I could possibly do in the time I have left and people wait years sometimes for me to get to them, and I appreciate their patience with me.

I figure those who comprehend that which is spiritually discerned can enjoy the picture that was being shared a little bit at a time. Which is just like when I restore and old car. I say it is like moving a tandem dump truck load of dirt, one spoonful at a time.
Then Eddie's response to fusion2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Relative to the the old myths influencing Christianity... Yes, they (Christians) will twist themselves into knots trying to deny these things while at the same time... accusing you of grand hubris for suggesting such things.

But why should you be surprised. Mr. Scum just told you that Aron's rod magically turned into a snake and ate all the other snakes that the Egyptian rods got magically turned into. He believes that actually happened.

Then it stands to reason that they would refuse to believe evidence contrary to their belief system no matter how strong the evidence is.

And while we had a few rods get turned into snakes in those days... We haven't had any rod to snake activity in quite some time. Well, maybe David Copperfield or somebody can do it. But even faith healers haven't pulled it off lately.

As for my contribution to your inquiry. I like Mithras... a savior who's birthday was December 25th before Jesus showed up. And this is why I don't do "Happy Holidays" or "season's greetings"... Instead I go with "Merry Mithras!!"
It is telling how you do everything I wrote about, even the bolded from my post to yours.

Now I should get back to work on my project I got going.

Last edited by chief scum; 09-29-2023 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: switched the word funny with telling, because I have no desire to make a fool out of anyone.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:04 AM

33,332 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sorry. Again, don't get me wrong. I have watched many a program having to do with all variety of subjects. Many of them thanks to YouTube. I guess I was thinking more about so many of the ridiculous YouTube videos posted in this forum for purposes of pushing some pretty outlandish if not ridiculous ideas about one thing or another.

In fact, I've often marveled to people I know how amazing it is we can all find some great videos on YouTube regardless the subject; history, nature, science, religion, sports, music -- you name it! Let me walk that one back a bit.

As for theoretical physicists, perhaps I've been a little hasty about that too, but again anyone can speculate about just about anything, and of course you can write a book about any such speculations as well, but validating something like the string theory is still a function of what can be observed or deduced in our known universe. What is theoretical and "unfruitful" in the way of what can be proven or validated may very well be because the theory is flawed or just not valid.

Same with what might "possibly exist." Of course there are many who will speculate along those lines. Professionally or as an amateur like me. Not all that different from how people speculate about the supernatural, heaven, hell, a god or gods. What can be proven as true is another matter however. Otherwise or until then, it's just speculation that may sound scientific, but unless or until scientifically tested, verified and proven, it's all just theoretical. Anything that will be fruitful in terms of proving what is the truth about such matters will no doubt be by way of what can be accomplished with whatever we are capable of proving in the known universe in any case. Good luck thinking otherwise.

My point is that we might all do well to distinguish between what is theoretical (imagination, speculation) and what are legitimate claims of truth. Truth that exists and demonstrated to be true for all concerned. AKA universal truth.

Fair?
This is fair.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

As for my contribution to your inquiry.I like Mithras... a savior who's birthday was December 25th before Jesus showed up. And this is why I don't do "Happy Holidays" or "season's greetings"... Instead I go with "Merry Mithras!!"
I'm afraid that you have fallen victim to an internet myth. There is no evidence that either Mithra or Jesus were born on Dec. 25. Both claims are simply traditions that have no basis in any historical evidence.
There is no evidence that Mithras – nor even Jesus for that matter – was born on 25 December. Mithras is depicted as emerging from a rock and never as an infant nor in any way associated with a virgin birth or a visitation by any magi. Mithras is never represented with any disciples at all, celebrated no "Last Supper", and did not die on a cross – in fact, there are no depictions of Mithras dying at all.

https://www.worldhistory.org/Mithra/

Old 09-29-2023, 11:45 AM

1,491 posts, read 484,513 times
Quote:
I'm afraid that you have fallen victim to an internet myth. There is no evidence that either Mithra or Jesus were born on Dec. 25. Both claims are simply traditions that have no basis in any historical evidence.
There is no evidence that Mithras – nor even Jesus for that matter – was born on 25 December. Mithras is depicted as emerging from a rock and never as an infant nor in any way associated with a virgin birth or a visitation by any magi. Mithras is never represented with any disciples at all, celebrated no "Last Supper", and did not die on a cross – in fact, there are no depictions of Mithras dying at all.

I was going to bring that up concerning Jesus Christ, but wanted to keep my post in response to Eddie short and concise.

I see the birth of Jesus Christ in first light, the seed of creation, then prophesied in the Garden of Eden, then carried through time, till being born of Mary, (and no date is given) and then received out of the water by God, who then gave witness and said; This is my beloved Son, in who I am well pleased.....

He isn't someone who just happens to come along lately. But as one who sees us through it all, the alpha and omega. As John the Baptist also spoke the words that testify of this when he said;..... He who comes after me has surpassed me, because he was before me.

Last edited by chief scum; 09-29-2023 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-29-2023, 03:24 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:

You are focused on the wrong spiritual aspects of the avatar myths. It is about "slaying the Beast" (taming our animal nature) which the carnal Mithras did physically (carnally) but the spiritual Jesus did figuratively (spiritually).

Old 09-29-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are focused on the wrong spiritual aspects of the avatar myths. It is about "slaying the Beast" (taming our animal nature) which the carnal Mithras did physically (carnally) but the spiritual Jesus did figuratively (spiritually).
Oh, knock it off, Mystic. The claim exists that Mithras was born on Dec. 25th and that Jesus' birthday copies Mithras' birthdate. This simply is not true and THAT is what I'm focusing on in my reply. So leave it be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality