Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2024, 01:33 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You have a disdain for atheists. So where does that leave you?
Very accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I just want to say that I find mountainrose to be a kind and delightful person, who has said that she is married to someone who does not believe in God. Why would you suggest and in a generalizing way that she expresses bigotry, prejudice and intolerance toward the beliefs of the man she is married to and much less others.

Would you agree that you have pre-judged? And that your projected and generalizing judgement is false?

It would be nice if you gave mountainrose an apology for characterizing her in such a way.
I didn't say that Mountainrose was a bigot, prejudiced, or intolerant. I said: "And as I mentioned in another post, it's amazing how much bigotry, prejudice, and intolerance comes out of the christian mindset." And do you want some evidence for that? "The Southern Baptist Convention issued an apology for its earlier stance on slavery. The issue had split the Baptist church between north and south in 1845. But a century and a half later, in 1995, Southern Baptist officials formally renounced the church's support of slavery and segregation." -- NPR

Old 03-28-2024, 04:00 PM

43,064 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I didn't say that Mountainrose was a bigot, prejudiced, or intolerant. I said: "And as I mentioned in another post, it's amazing how much bigotry, prejudice, and intolerance comes out of the christian mindset." And do you want some evidence for that? "The Southern Baptist Convention issued an apology for its earlier stance on slavery. The issue had split the Baptist church between north and south in 1845. But a century and a half later, in 1995, Southern Baptist officials formally renounced the church's support of slavery and segregation." -- NPR
I doubt anyone alive today was there and took part in it.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I doubt anyone alive today was there and took part in it.
And yet 'today's' Southern Baptists felt the need to apologize.

Perhaps you should peruse this: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ce-ncna1235045

Old 03-28-2024, 06:29 PM

22,153 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You have a disdain for atheists. So where does that leave you?
those are your words and your thoughts. they are not mine.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:30 PM

1,479 posts, read 478,936 times
Quote:
Why? Why are you here? Basically, in your own more subtle way to proselytize. Which is fine.

The bigger question is, at least in my opinion, why do we critique -- sometimes severely -- when people tell us their personal experiences.

1. Because we've heard so many goofy stories. I go back to my Aunt Millie who used to walk down Main Street with either a bottle of supposed holy water or a little container of ashes. And she would walk up to people -- including complete strangers -- and either "bless them" by dousing them with holy water or putting the sign of the cross on their foreheads. And why could she do it? Because god told her she could. Do you believe all the cults? Because many of the people in those religious cults claim to have had their own personal religious "spiritual events". I don't know what your personal experience was...but do realize that you don't sound that different from the types of people I just described?

2. Because of the tendency of many christians to condemn others to hell if "you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior". That's intolerance. And many of your christian brothers and sisters say it or think it.

Quote:
Concerning the bolded in your post. Was the post you were referring to, the smear job quoted above?

Old 03-28-2024, 07:20 PM

43,064 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
And yet 'today's' Southern Baptists felt the need to apologize.

Perhaps you should peruse this: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ce-ncna1235045
And that bothers you ?

Why bother posting here if you detest Christians so much?

Old 03-28-2024, 10:36 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
Thanks for your kind words, Chief ❤️

Old 03-28-2024, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And that bothers you ?

Why bother posting here if you detest Christians so much?
Religion interests me whether I am a member of a particular religion, or not.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:50 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I just want to say that I find mountainrose to be a kind and delightful person, who has said that she is married to someone who does not believe in God. Why would you suggest and in a generalizing way that she expresses bigotry, prejudice and intolerance toward the beliefs of the man she is married to and much less others.

Would you agree that you have pre-judged? And that your projected and generalizing judgement is false?

It would be nice if you gave mountainrose an apology for characterizing her in such a way.
I wholeheartedly agree, Chief!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality