Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2024, 01:24 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you don't have the expectation or wish that people will believe you.
No — why should I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 01:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post

It’s been a perfect home church — very relaxed — very nuts and bolts teachings — and spirit—filled friends now that I’m so grateful for.
It sounds wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:26 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Okay. That's fine. Good for you. Now...why are you telling us the story? Do you expect us to say, "Oh, now we believe?" I mean what is your purpose? How is that personal experience any different than personal experiences I have had which have made me NOT believe in god? How that any different than a person who has a personal experience that makes them believe NOT in Jesus, but in Mohammad? Or Ganesha? Or, do you expect everyone else to zip their mouths shut...in a discussion forum?
sharing the story is pertinent and relevant because that is the specific topic of this thread and the OP asks people to share their experiences. That IS the topic of this discussions: divine guidance.

Opening Post and thread topic asks for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm starting this thread to ask people what experiences they have had that they would consider a manifestation of God. Curious, because I've had some experiences I could describe as manifestations of God. Especially when I was younger and a believer, I would associate certain experiences and/or feelings as a result of God's presence. Then later in life, as I became an atheist, I no longer experienced anything I could conclude was such a manifestation or sign from God. Not for a good many decades now. Not even when I was more "inviting" of such a thing. I'll let this thread be yet another request to see if maybe I get a sign. We'll see. I'll let you know. While meanwhile, what signs have you received? Past or present? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2024, 01:27 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Mordant, I’m married to a wonderful atheist, former Catholic, so I totally RESPECT and GET where you are coming from.
We are all here to learn and to respect each others’ paths in this mysterious adventure called life
But do we "respect each others' paths"? Do you respect a person whose path is to follow the Devil? Because there really are devil worshippers out there who feel very strongly about how they came to their beliefs.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:30 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Quote:
But do we "respect each others' paths"? Do you respect a person whose path is to follow the Devil? Because there really are devil worshippers out there who feel very strongly about how they came to their beliefs.
I was talking about us here on this forum.
Can you please explain what this means.
GOP is D=m/v.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Of course, in any realm, including religious faith, "practice makes perfect". But long devotion and practice and getting really good at a thing doesn't make it right or prove anything. It is easily explained by motivated reasoning, confirmation bias, agency inference and similar.

That is why "never the twain shall meet". Your faith provides you with things you need and mine didn't -- at the end of the day that is the "great gulf fixed between us", to borrow from the parable of Lazarus and the rich man.

Believers tell these anecdotes wishing it would be convincing or even interesting to unbelievers; unbelievers repeat their considered reasons for thinking otherwise wishing it would be at least understood if not investigated. Once in awhile a believer will say, I understand where you're coming from, Mordant, even though we disagree. It is all too rare. It is all I'm really looking for ... not for believers to abandon the faith they hope in, but to also understand and respect why others might. To try to really understand it as something less superficial than a silly misunderstanding or some form of stubborn rebellion. This is particularly relevant to me, as I was every bit as devoted to the faith once upon a time as you are now, so those believers who take the easy way out and say things like, I was never a True Believer (tm) to begin with is particularly nasty to encounter -- although I'm kind of inured to it by now.
Regarding bold above, no, i heartily disagree with that opinion. Believers in this thread relate their experiences, because that is the thread topic and the opening post specifically asks for people to share their stories and experiences.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-30-2024 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-30-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
No — why should I?
Okay.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
sharing the story is pertinent and relevant because that is the specific topic of this thread and the OP asks people to share their experiences. That IS the topic of this discussions: divine guidance.

Opening Post and thread topic asks for this:
I didn't ask you. I ask what that particular poster was posting it.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I was talking about us here on this forum.
Can you please explain what this means.
GOP is D=m/v.
No. That's totally off topic. It has nothing to do with religion or spirituality.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I didn't ask you. I ask what that particular poster was posting it.
every post on a public discussion forum, is available for anyone to comment on and respond to. Otherwise if it is a personal message for one person only, then the direct message function is for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality