Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2024, 07:20 PM

16,265 posts, read 7,202,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You have often responded to my posts without quoting me. Don't ask others to abide by rules that don't even exist.

There is no slander and no heckling going on here. There is critiquing...as you have just critiqued me and the other poster...or have you slandered and heckled us?

Blunt is putting it mildly.
Quote me not quoting you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 09:03 PM

51,338 posts, read 24,754,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Perhaps that's Muslim fundamentalism at its core, and it certainly was the belief of Osama Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri and others who wanted the Middle East to return to a primitive form of Islam, get westerners out of Islamic lands, and even take modern technology out of the the Arabian Peninsula.

But I know a fair number of Muslims, mostly through the engineering industry and let me tell you, these people, while observant to varying degrees are way more interested in being successful in America, making money, and pretty much living the all-American life that so many other immigrant groups went for. They aren't keeping themselves apart, which is what most fundamentalist types of all religions do.
I don't know if I've ever told this story, but perhaps you'll find it interesting. I became close with a Muslim couple (young, mid-20s) from Pakistan. I hired the husband to work at our school in a technology related field. At the time he was engaged to the Pakistani woman. Through work and, later, playing pool together, we became quite close. And when the young man's father died he asked me to be his "American father", stressing that in Pakistan "family is everything" and "I still need a father". Eventually, after they married, they bought quite an expensive townhouse and invited me to live with them as "a family". It worked out surprisingly well, and I was treated as the 'father figure'. There ultimately was a sad ending...but that's not really part of this story.

Of course, I met quite a few of their Muslim friends, mostly Pakistanis. I was treated with extreme respect, as in, "Oh, you're [young Pakistani]' father. One evening to took me to a very large Pakistani party being held at a hotel. Perhaps 150 people...I seemed to be the only non-Muslim there. All very friendly toward me, and it went well (except for me learning that I didn't really like goat). But every young or middle-aged Pakistani man who came to the table to talk directly to me (I guess women were not allowed to talk to a male stranger...and by the way...my "sons" wife was the stereotypical Muslim wife...sad) would end up asking me the same question...more then two dozen of these men: "Don't you think 9/11 was done by the CIA?" Another thing that was interesting was that my 'son' asked me to read the Koran, and I said I would if he would read a book of Buddhist scriptures. I kept my promise (at least halfway through), but quit when he made no effort to keep his side of the deal. He has returned to Pakistan and HATES living in his own country. HATES it.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,030,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I see your point about the utility of labels, even if they are reductive. Is monism a label? That is what I have seen Hinduism “labeled” in some places and figured you would understand that as different from pantheism which it is not because there is an important distinction.
Are we now switching topic to discussing labels?
What's the important distinction?

Old 05-05-2024, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
What's the important distinction?
This is so off topic of this thread, US as a Christian nation. You are welcome to start a new thread on the distinction between the two and i will contribute what i can.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:47 AM

16,102 posts, read 6,448,860 times
Quote:
I have never paid any attention to either term. Labels have no importance for me, because often they mislead, and obfuscate rather than clarify.
Is atheism a label?

Old 05-05-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is atheism a label?
I think it would be worthwhile to start a thread to discuss labels. There is much to be said on that topic. Please start one.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:29 AM

16,102 posts, read 6,448,860 times
Quote:
I think it would be worthwhile to start a thread to discuss labels. There is much to be said on that topic. Please start one.
I don't need a whole thread to call you out.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I don't need a whole thread to call you out.
That is true. I thought you wanted a discussion. My bad. Sorry.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
This is so off topic of this thread, US as a Christian nation. You are welcome to start a new thread on the distinction between the two and i will contribute what i can.
It takes less effort to pithily point out the supposed distinction than to respond with the above. I'm an atheist; I don't believe in any of this stuff. I'm not going to go to the trouble to start a new thread on a topic I ultimately don't really take seriously. But, I was a philosophy major in college! I like hearing other people's ideas. Going off topic from an original topic is inevitable in a discussion of any merit or substance. All other posters are free to remain on topic. All you have to do is summarize the distinction in a sentence or two and regularly scheduled programming may resume

Old 05-05-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Is atheism a label?
There goes her user title, eh? '_________ have all the answers'. Gotta keep it label-free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality