Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2024, 02:22 PM

16,124 posts, read 6,453,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
in a nutshell "i favor black people" "i favor black and brown people"
carries the same identical tone as "i favor white people"

same mindset, same camp
Agreed. I comes across as condescending even if it's not meant that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 05:30 PM

16,279 posts, read 7,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Agreed. I comes across as condescending even if it's not meant that way.
If one understands that what is said is not out of condescension but something else, why would it still come across that way? Surely it is not due to lack of understanding of perspective, is it?

Old 05-05-2024, 05:40 PM

22,850 posts, read 19,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If one understands that what is said is not out of condescension but something else, why would it still come across that way? Surely it is not due to lack of understanding of perspective, is it?
how does it sound to you when someone says they "have a special place in their heart for white people."
because when i hear that it sounds racist.

or relating it to the thread topic, if someone says "they have a special place in their heart for Christians."
yeah that sounds some kind of way also.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:40 PM

51,393 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
It takes less effort to pithily point out the supposed distinction than to respond with the above. I'm an atheist; I don't believe in any of this stuff. I'm not going to go to the trouble to start a new thread on a topic I ultimately don't really take seriously. But, I was a philosophy major in college! I like hearing other people's ideas. Going off topic from an original topic is inevitable in a discussion of any merit or substance. All other posters are free to remain on topic. All you have to do is summarize the distinction in a sentence or two and regularly scheduled programming may resume
I'm so glad you phrased your response that way, particularly the bolded.

When a poster says another poster is 'going off topic', that may mean the poster really is going off topic. Or it is often a poster's way of trying to bend the conversation her own way. When I was a school principal, and our team was discussing an issue, it was often going a bit off topic that led to more broad realizations and solutions.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
It takes less effort to pithily point out the supposed distinction than to respond with the above. I'm an atheist; I don't believe in any of this stuff. I'm not going to go to the trouble to start a new thread on a topic I ultimately don't really take seriously. But, I was a philosophy major in college! I like hearing other people's ideas. Going off topic from an original topic is inevitable in a discussion of any merit or substance. All other posters are free to remain on topic. All you have to do is summarize the distinction in a sentence or two and regularly scheduled programming may resume
Thank you for stating that so clearly. And you think I should go to the effort of putting together my thoughts, pithily yet, for you who is not even interested in it enough to seriously engage? Really? Why would I want to do that?
If you were a philosophy major, there are plenty of resources available to study Advaita VedantA, which translates to Philosophy of Non-dualism and why it is monism and not pantheism. It deserves its own thread.
So does the difference between attaching labels to others and what people prefer to call themselves. The former is White Privilege. Deserves a thread.
That this discussion that is off topic has any merit or substance is your own delusion. I don’t take that seriously.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:21 PM

16,124 posts, read 6,453,834 times
Quote:
Is what you mean is that you feel connection to people who have had to face certain things?

Old 05-05-2024, 06:39 PM

22,850 posts, read 19,468,156 times
Quote:
Thank you for stating that so clearly. And you think I should go to the effort of putting together my thoughts, pithily yet, for you who is not even interested in it enough to seriously engage? Really? Why would I want to do that?
If you were a philosophy major, there are plenty of resources available to study Advaita VedantA, which translates to Philosophy of Non-dualism and why it is monism and not pantheism. It deserves its own thread.
So does the difference between attaching labels to others and what people prefer to call themselves. The former is White Privilege. Deserves a thread.
That this discussion that is off topic has any merit or substance is your own delusion. I don’t take that seriously.
wow.

so you are calling it "White Privilege" to "attach labels to others."
but you have self-identified as belonging to "black and brown people" and do just that, attach labels to others. For instance the label "White Privilege."

the problem with viewing and categorizing people and behavior (good or bad, praise or criticism) through the lens of skin color
is that invariably it reveals itself as racism. or condescension. or paternalism (which are also expressions of racism).

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-05-2024 at 06:55 PM..

Old 05-05-2024, 11:15 PM

16,884 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
in a nutshell "i favor black people" "i favor black and brown people"
carries the same identical tone as "i favor white people"

same mindset, same camp
First, no one said they favored anyone, that is you redefining what CB said to make it sound racist, a nasty straw man for you to beat.

And presuming CB lives in the US, where the people at the top are usually white males, CB gets emotional when black and brown women are successful because they do so with having two prejudices to fight, color and gender, whereas white women only have the prejudice of gender to fight against.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
First, no one said they favored anyone, that is you redefining what CB said to make it sound racist, a nasty straw man for you to beat.

And presuming CB lives in the US, where the people at the top are usually white males, CB gets emotional when black and brown women are successful because they do so with having two prejudices to fight, color and gender, whereas white women only have the prejudice of gender to fight against.
For someone who claims English is only his second language, you get an A for comprehension, not to mention sensitivity.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:37 AM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
For someone who claims English is only his second language, you get an A for comprehension, not to mention sensitivity.
IIRC, English is Harry's THIRD language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality