Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I think it depends on how educated they are. The lower end of the group will be narrow mined and at times vocally abusive. The higher educated end is much like any other faith.
Chi-ching! Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
Default It makes me laugh not mad

My family is from the Up-State of SC. They are at the Southern Baptist church 24/7. They are the funniest group of people I know. I do not think the gospel has sunk in. They are very judgemental and down right hateful sometimes. They are not supposed to drink.....they hide whiskey behind the toilet. My aunt drives to a neighboring county to buy her whiskey so nobody will see her. They can not help it...it is clearly lack of education and exposure. It is the environment they were raised in. My mother moved away with my father when they were a young couple to the north. My mom has grown spiritually and really respects humans of all types, her family...not so much. They only know how to help the rightous and do not associate with the degenerates of the community. Honestly they are missing out on so much. The pool in which they swimm is very small and shallow...no pun intended. They are family still love them!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 AM

65 posts, read 93,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well here is the worst of the lot.. Westboro Baptist Church Home Page

I wouldn't classify those freaks as Christian, much less Southern Baptist.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNutt View Post
I wouldn't classify those freaks as Christian, much less Southern Baptist.
Why not? They are just vocalizing what so many Southern Baptists and other denominations think. I've seen the hatred and bigotry towards homosexuals here many times.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I am surrounded by them and do not like them. They judge people on which church you go to, and yes, there is the upper class, middle class and lower class churches and yes, they will ask within the first mintue of any conversation what church you go to and judge you by that.

Being I am not Baptist, people love trying to pull me into their little circle. I just stopped talking to anyone now, waiting to move later this summer.
I wonder in what social class they would put an Atheist? I think the Westboro type of Baptist is nothing like the average Southern Baptist. I know several, and they seem as indifferent about religion as most Protestants do. Living in the south as a young adult and than being exposed to other parts of the planet as an adult make me think the class issue is more a small town social climbing issue rather than a religious issue.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Why not? They are just vocalizing what so many Southern Baptists and other denominations think. I've seen the hatred and bigotry towards homosexuals here many times.
No. They're really not.

But thanks for claiming to know my heart and everyone else's.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No. They're really not.

But thanks for claiming to know my heart and everyone else's.
You assume too much....I made no such claim.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
You assume too much....I made no such claim.

You seem to believe you can read people's minds:

Quote:
Why not? They are just vocalizing what so many Southern Baptists and other denominations think.

Bottom line is that yes--the westboro freaks are wrong for the garbage they spew. I've heard interviews with fred phelps and his gang....they are a spiteful, hateful group. They exhibit none of the values of Christianity. Based on that fruit of their actions, I would have to conclude they are not Christians.

Regarding Southern Baptists? I've known many Godly, kind men and women in the denomination. I also belong to a rather conservative denomination....and we don't agree with homosexuality, but we certainly don't teach hatred toward them. It is a convenient "out" for someone to just label another person a hater and then it somehow invalidates any point they'd make.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You seem to believe you can read people's minds:
No I don't....But I do see what they type here...Try perusing the many threads on homosexuality and see for yourself.

The Southern Baptist Convention adheres to the belief that the Bible denounces homosexuality, therefore it is sinful. They believe that sexual preference is a choice, and that homosexual people can eventually overcome their homosexuality to become chaste.
Homosexuality is NOT a choice.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM

66 posts, read 95,145 times
What gives you the right to tell him he is wrong?

He is entitled to his opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality