Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

When you think about human self awareness there seems to be a period from our birth until we're small children when our brain has to be trained in how to interpret all of the data that's coming in from our senses. I don't know that a newborn baby is actually aware of it's own existence. If a computer had the potential of awareness it might have to go through a similar learning experience and maybe that's what Troop was getting at.
I do agree with DimSumRaja regarding how powerful our brains already are, there's no computer in the world that can manage a variety of incredibly complex tasks all at one time like the human brain. However, even the most brilliant people do have certain limitations in how much information they can take in and how fast they can do it. I could foresee an implant like I talked about in which a person could basically download the ability to speak a foreign language directly into their brain and be instantly fluent in that language. Updates could be transmitted into the chip after it was implanted and you could upgrade to a version 2.1 if you had an outdated 2.0. There's a very long way to go before this sort of thing becomes reality but I have no doubt that it's going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
a person could basically download the ability to speak a foreign language directly into their brain and be instantly fluent in that language. Updates could be transmitted into the chip after it was implanted and you could upgrade to a version 2.1 if you had an outdated 2.0. There's a very long way to go before this sort of thing becomes reality but I have no doubt that it's going to happen.
Again, human capacity trumps technology. There are people and cultures where humans communicate mind-to-mind (telepathically) and so the language issue become moot because the thought that is sent directly is automatically received in the language and form understandable to the person receiving it, even if the person sending it speaks a different language. Language is a barrier not a bridge, and other forms of communication prove more effective and more efficient.

It fascinates me also that there have been cultures where the human voice is considered so sacred and so powerful it is only used in holy context. All other forms of mundane communication are carried out in other ways.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 AM

414 posts, read 776,986 times
Default we're so occupied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
technology is always a reflection and a preview of what the human mind, body, spirit, and heart are capable of. We put it "out there" for instance the Internet as a way of using a process to instantly access from a wide body of information. This gets us to see and use this tool as real. The next step, is doing the same thing with our minds and bodies and spirits alone; that is know that there is a pool of information, and we dip into it to get what we need.

Creative artists and some scientists already know this and use this, dipping into the infinite body of knowledge where everything is known, everything exists, and can be drawn from.

Technology is created by humans but can only do what humans imagine it can do, and then the technology becomes obsolete as humans use and develop and "grow into" what we are capable of and designed to do as humans. Technology is always the servant, never the master.

We currently are sort of babies when it comes to technology, still relying on heavy and clumsy and cumbersome machinery, but that's ok, that's where we are developmentally. There have been and are more advanced levels of humans and beings that zip to different areas of the galaxy without using, for instance, what we use as spacecraft or satellites.

So in answer to the opening post pondering about the superhuman, we are already hard wired for that, possessing incredibly sophisiticated skills and talents that we (like the studies show) using currently only at about 10% of what we are capable of.
Sorry to be so late and way behind with reading, but greatly enchanted to find kindred spirits on all these threads. You know, Princess, we may just HAVE TO demand our OWN capacities and purposes back and change the ways in which we can be occupied all day long. Different commitments? At least no more foul compromises! Nature has been a perfect internet long before this one, and don't we all know it???? Love to all!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
When you think about human self awareness there seems to be a period from our birth until we're small children when our brain has to be trained in how to interpret all of the data that's coming in from our senses. I don't know that a newborn baby is actually aware of it's own existence. If a computer had the potential of awareness it might have to go through a similar learning experience and maybe that's what Troop was getting at.
I do agree with DimSumRaja regarding how powerful our brains already are, there's no computer in the world that can manage a variety of incredibly complex tasks all at one time like the human brain. However, even the most brilliant people do have certain limitations in how much information they can take in and how fast they can do it. I could foresee an implant like I talked about in which a person could basically download the ability to speak a foreign language directly into their brain and be instantly fluent in that language. Updates could be transmitted into the chip after it was implanted and you could upgrade to a version 2.1 if you had an outdated 2.0. There's a very long way to go before this sort of thing becomes reality but I have no doubt that it's going to happen.
If impplant can ensure/rest assured to return next time around with today's memories intact, that will be alright for starters. Prospective parents LOL

Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Again, human capacity trumps technology. There are people and cultures where humans communicate mind-to-mind (telepathically) and so the language issue become moot because the thought that is sent directly is automatically received in the language and form understandable to the person receiving it, even if the person sending it speaks a different language. Language is a barrier not a bridge, and other forms of communication prove more effective and more efficient.

It fascinates me also that there have been cultures where the human voice is considered so sacred and so powerful it is only used in holy context. All other forms of mundane communication are carried out in other ways.
We can give ascension a good try without being too profane. Faith, hope and love keep us going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality