Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times

Advertisements

I just recently had my 18th birthday (August 27th). I went to the mall to shop for clothing. My mom came with me. I'm open-minded when it comes to clothing, so I wear all kinds of stuff. One day, I'll look like a skater, another day a punk rocker, and another day a hip-hopper (Except the clothes fit.), etc. My only limit is goth or emo. I don't like either style. Anyway, I'm sure anybody who has been to a mall before has heard of a clothing store called Hot Topic. They sell mainly punk rock, goth, and emo clothing. They are also usually playing the type of music that goes with the culture. Well, I went to Hot Topic, and my mom hesitated to go in. I asked why and she didn't answer. Then I said "There aren't any evil spirits or demons waiting inside for you.", so then she came in and looked around with me. She is a Baptist.

I found this funny, but I didn't say so. I guess I just don't understand how people think an atmosphere they consider "dark" would effect them at all if they are so sure of their beliefs. I mean, if you truly believe that you are saved and your god is looking after you, what's with being scared to walk into a store that you consider to be (For a lack of a better term.) "dark"?

This isn't directed towards any specific religion. Anybody can answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
The dark simply symbolises the unknown.
And it is not uncommon for people to be insecure, because life itself is 1 big unknown.
The only thing that is sure is that 1 day you’ll die.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The dark simply symbolises the unknown.
And it is not uncommon for people to be insecure, because life itself is 1 big unknown.
The only thing that is sure is that 1 day you’ll die.
Well, to the religious, the dark usually means an evil spirit, demon, or something similar.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Some people never grow out of their childhood fear of the dark, just replace the bopgyman with satanic stuff..I guess darkness just represents being surrounded with evil..Something you fear, because you can't see it

HAPPY 18th, HAAZIQ

Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Fear of the unknown can be a very strong emotion and limits one's belief.
Happy 18th birthday to you...

Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Well, I don't fear any of that stuff as I have a substantial dark side, but I can understand where she was coming from.

If I'm wearing a bullet proof vest I'm still not going to go running willie-nillie (I love that term) on to a battle field

HAPPY 18TH!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
First - Happy birthday!

Second - Thats a good question. There have been many times in our country where something "dark" has been hated for what seems like no real good reason. Consider that after the Columbine shootings took place, schools started banning dressing in all black and wearing trenchcoats, the case against the West Memphis 3 was based heavily on the defendants being "gothic"/dressed in black, in old black and white movies the bad guys wore black and lurked in the dark/shadows while the good guys wore white.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:16 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
it could also just be that she sees the store and its atmosphere is icky or uncomfortable, not necessarily satanic.

i know i can't stand the emo/goth crowd. individuals are fine (i have two emo/goth cousins; love 'em dearly, but have to roll my eyes when they come in dressed like marilyn manson and my chemical romance), but the whole genre is kind of annoying in my opinion.

the only reason i go into hot topic is for the metallica/led zeppelin/guns&roses tee shirts. other than that, yeah, i can't stand its 'dark' and depressing attitude either.

aaron out.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
There have been many times in our country where something "dark" has been hated for what seems like no real good reason.
Agreed.
Quote:
Consider that after the Columbine shootings took place, schools started banning dressing in all black and wearing trenchcoats
One of the dean's at a high school I went to years back was always trying to ban clothing. I remember when one very cold winter morning, about 15 guys came in wearing black Carhartt bib overalls. To make it worse for them, they were all walking together. Instant ban. Banning things doesn't really change anything IMO.
Quote:
the case against the West Memphis 3 was based heavily on the defendants being "gothic"/dressed in black,
As dumb as it is, things like these still happen to this day.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
it could also just be that she sees the store and its atmosphere is icky or uncomfortable, not necessarily satanic.
It's possible, but I doubt it. The look on her face after I said there are no evil spirits or demons in the store said it all. You know the "Thank god" look?
Quote:
i know i can't stand the emo/goth crowd. individuals are fine (i have two emo/goth cousins; love 'em dearly, but have to roll my eyes when they come in dressed like marilyn manson and my chemical romance), but the whole genre is kind of annoying in my opinion.
I don't have a problem with goths or emos. I just don't hang around those kinds of crowds or dress that way.
Quote:
the only reason i go into hot topic is for the metallica/led zeppelin/guns&roses tee shirts. other than that, yeah, i can't stand its 'dark' and depressing attitude either.

aaron out.
To each his own. The atmosphere of Hot Topic doesn't bother me at all, and I'm not a depressed person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality