Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 864 times

Advertisements

God defines marriage, a marriage is between a man a woman and God. That is the only kind of marriage that counts. "Flesh of my flesh bone of my bone..." were Adams wedding vows to his wife, a vow before God is not taken lightly among real Christians but that is all that is needed for a Biblical marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijafire View Post
God defines marriage, a marriage is between a man a woman and God. That is the only kind of marriage that counts. "Flesh of my flesh bone of my bone..." were Adams wedding vows to his wife, a vow before God is not taken lightly among real Christians but that is all that is needed for a Biblical marriage.
Vizio has another friend.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,565 times
Angry Marriage

I believe they were married in the eyes of God on the day of Eves creation...so it would be the Almighty that married them one of the first and most blessed marriages ever was the first.... We really did go down hill

Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijafire View Post
Time for America's best Christian Betty Bowers to set the record straight as far as the "biblical definition of marriage"

Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
I believe they were married in the eyes of God on the day of Eves creation...so it would be the Almighty that married them one of the first and most blessed marriages ever was the first.... We really did go down hill
I don't think it's possible. No best man.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
In my opinion and from studying scripture, God is the one we are married before. God created Eve from Adam and presented her to Adam, blessed them and then gave them a command, to be fruitful and multiply. All this tells me that in God's eyes, yes they were married and no to 'lay' together was not sinful.

In today's world a marriage is performed before witnesses, other than God, but especially in Christian ceremonies, it is still clearly stated that it all is occuring before God, in His presence. God, thereby blessing the union.

Having an actual ceremony with certificate and all came into place by man's law. However, NT clearly states that if the law requires the 'paperwork' then we should submit to such. Furthermore, in John chapter 2 I believe it was, Jesus attended a wedding ceremony, which means that such is approved, otherwise Jesus wouldn't have attended and furthermore, even turned the water into wine.

I am not sure exactly where in the bible, if it is even mentioned, that the marriage certificate came into place or where the actual first marriage before a person took place. I would have to research that a bit.

As for the question asked about did Adam and Eve have a belly button, in case those questions were not just in joke but real, I had that question at one point and what I came up with is that no, they did not. The belly button is a result of the umbilical cord attaching the baby to the mother for nourishment. Being that Adam and Eve were both created beings, not birthed from a woman, they would not, in my opinion, have had a belly button. However, the children they had did. I also believe that this would have been God's plan in the sense that as Adam and Eve's children grew, they could see and believe that they were created by God because they could show the difference and absence of the belly button symbolizing them as created beings and the first man and woman.

That was a wedding feast not a ceremony...

Old 11-07-2013, 08:43 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Due to the strangeness of how my mind works I have another peculiar question. Those who believe in the existence of Adam and Eve as described in Genesis know that God is supposed to have made Eve from one of Adam's ribs because God thought he needed a companion but I don't recall that it ever says that they were actually married. If they were married there wouldn't have been any other human beings to conduct the ceremony so I can only assume that God would have performed the ceremony and the entire human population would have been present which of course was only two people. That brings up another interesting thought. People have expressed the opinion many times that the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve became couples and populated the earth with human beings. If this is the case would there also have been a wedding ceremony between brothers and sisters, something which is illegal today? I'm always trying to think of tricky questions as you can probably tell.
Hi Montana Guy,
I take the bible to be a spiritual (symbolic) book, not a his-story book.

In a temple ceremony I experienced, Adam and Eve are said to represent men and women (male & female).
What I consider beautiful is that Eve (women) are "the mother of all living."
As a mother, I feel this way, about everyone I come in contact with.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Just read the entire thread an what was supposed to be a light hearted discussion devolved into a mud slinging match. I cannot believe folk still take this as factual and also I find it totally weird they invent A&E children marrying their siblings when the text says they went to an adjacent town to seek wives. What is not told where did these other folk come from.

This follows many similar creation myths and for those that think that incest was OK and the way to go, obviously have no concept of genetics even though laws are loosely based on forbidding incest couplings. BTW, DNA does not have a purity factor so do not bother using that excuse we have already heard numerous times that back then DNA was purer.

Modern science has refuted this claim of creation quite profoundly and unintentionally. No two of anything can propagate a healthy species. It is just impossible unless you appeal to magic.

As for marriage, customs all around the globe vary vastly from Western concepts we are used to seeing with a priest or state approved moderator leading the Q&A session. In Africa, traditional weddings have absolutely zero religious component or a Q&A session. Cattle are traded for the wife as a gift to the father of the bride and even that aspect must be relatively new as a lot of them were not original settlers or migrants.

Humans have been around for millions of years in current form, the earth and universe are waaay older than ~6000 years as inferred by the bible by tracing back and adding the years of ancestry. This is borne out by multiple proofs in multiple fields of scientific research and discovery.

We can only guess how marriage took place way back when our traditions did not exist. Before christianity spread through Europe, folk probably had other customs and women were treated as chattel and "sold" for dowry or there were arranged marriages which is still a practice some cultures have as a norm.

God could not have dictated Genesis to a Moses fella and got it so wrong that we would find contra evidence in the 19th and 20th centuries. He would have been clear to explain to this Moses fella and subsequent scribes, that the menses of women is NOT an unclean thing but a natural cycle and that in fact she made a 100% contribution to reproduction and that the man's part was 1 in 300,000,000. That god would have also known women actually do all the work relating to reproduction and should have received the greater glory. It should not have taken a lowly Belgian scientist in the 1700s to discover the ovum and refute the concept that the ejaculate (seed of man) was THE key component and women were mere incubators.

With so much this god got wrong as to origins, we can only deduce these were ramblings of ignorant men that did NOT understand nor had the tools to explore the mechanics of reproduction.

What baffles me, they could not all have been idiots. Surely there must have been a farmer observing the activities of chickens, the laying of eggs to have had an aha moment that perhaps women also had some kind of egg. It just never got considered as it would kill the myths of how they thought the birds and the bees work. Women bleeding once a month must have really frightened them. So they invented explanations like secret fountain, times of impurity and so on.

Then they invented circumcision which also suggests god got it wrong and needed a little help (or snip) from his friends. Meanwhile, thanks again to science, we know what purpose a foreskin serves. I wonder why they did not circumcise their camels and goats? And folk still do it to this day for no other reason than tradition.

Religion and its practices goes entirely against nature and what is natural. Marriage is but one aspect. Yes other critters mate for life and males help raise their offspring, we should take our cues from nature, not some silly ignorant desert tribesmen.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,565 times
Hmmmm

Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 PM

91 posts, read 97,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Just read the entire thread an what was supposed to be a light hearted discussion devolved into a mud slinging match. I cannot believe folk still take this as factual and also I find it totally weird they invent A&E children marrying their siblings when the text says they went to an adjacent town to seek wives. What is not told where did these other folk come from.

This follows many similar creation myths and for those that think that incest was OK and the way to go, obviously have no concept of genetics even though laws are loosely based on forbidding incest couplings. BTW, DNA does not have a purity factor so do not bother using that excuse we have already heard numerous times that back then DNA was purer.

Modern science has refuted this claim of creation quite profoundly and unintentionally. No two of anything can propagate a healthy species. It is just impossible unless you appeal to magic.

As for marriage, customs all around the globe vary vastly from Western concepts we are used to seeing with a priest or state approved moderator leading the Q&A session. In Africa, traditional weddings have absolutely zero religious component or a Q&A session. Cattle are traded for the wife as a gift to the father of the bride and even that aspect must be relatively new as a lot of them were not original settlers or migrants.

Humans have been around for millions of years in current form, the earth and universe are waaay older than ~6000 years as inferred by the bible by tracing back and adding the years of ancestry. This is borne out by multiple proofs in multiple fields of scientific research and discovery.

We can only guess how marriage took place way back when our traditions did not exist. Before christianity spread through Europe, folk probably had other customs and women were treated as chattel and "sold" for dowry or there were arranged marriages which is still a practice some cultures have as a norm.

God could not have dictated Genesis to a Moses fella and got it so wrong that we would find contra evidence in the 19th and 20th centuries. He would have been clear to explain to this Moses fella and subsequent scribes, that the menses of women is NOT an unclean thing but a natural cycle and that in fact she made a 100% contribution to reproduction and that the man's part was 1 in 300,000,000. That god would have also known women actually do all the work relating to reproduction and should have received the greater glory. It should not have taken a lowly Belgian scientist in the 1700s to discover the ovum and refute the concept that the ejaculate (seed of man) was THE key component and women were mere incubators.

With so much this god got wrong as to origins, we can only deduce these were ramblings of ignorant men that did NOT understand nor had the tools to explore the mechanics of reproduction.

What baffles me, they could not all have been idiots. Surely there must have been a farmer observing the activities of chickens, the laying of eggs to have had an aha moment that perhaps women also had some kind of egg. It just never got considered as it would kill the myths of how they thought the birds and the bees work. Women bleeding once a month must have really frightened them. So they invented explanations like secret fountain, times of impurity and so on.

Then they invented circumcision which also suggests god got it wrong and needed a little help (or snip) from his friends. Meanwhile, thanks again to science, we know what purpose a foreskin serves. I wonder why they did not circumcise their camels and goats? And folk still do it to this day for no other reason than tradition.

Religion and its practices goes entirely against nature and what is natural. Marriage is but one aspect. Yes other critters mate for life and males help raise their offspring, we should take our cues from nature, not some silly ignorant desert tribesmen.
Adam and Eve were married by God before relations.
One of God's first laws and commandments to man was marriage. And from the Garden of Eden to the present time, God has continued to sanction and bless those who have honored this covenant. Marriage, solemnized by God in the beginning, was established with a Divine acceptance for the purpose of propagation of the species, for mutual help, and for comfort and companionship. It was a union so sacred and spiritual in its nature that the man and woman were to become "one flesh. (Gen. 2:24; Matt. 19:5) This inseparable union is spirituality illustrated in a similar comparison with Christ to His Church (Eph. 5:30); and God has throughout history given many laws and commandments concerning marriage--not restraining marriage, but rather restricting anything that would break the bonds of marriage, viz., fornication, adultery, whoredom, etc. Among these perils to marriage was celibacy (state of being unmarried), which was never an acceptable practice in ancient Israel, nor in early Christianity, but rather a doctrine of the pagans until it became incorporated into an apostate Christianity. By its nature celibacy contributes little to the quality or character in man--much less in a woman--because fruitful propagation of the species is contributory; barrenness in anything tends to extinction.
Paul foresaw the apostasy of Christianity and warned the members of the Church concerning these events. Celibacy, among other things was a "doctrine of devils".

Last edited by Danite; 11-08-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality