Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,678 times

Advertisements

They're always coming up to my door step and its damn annoying. If I want the light of God, I'll see it on my own. m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
They're always coming up to my door step and its damn annoying. If I want the light of God, I'll see it on my own. m
Because they are in a race with the Jehovahs Witnesses! First one to a million converts gets a day off!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM

249 posts, read 609,727 times
The same reason every other religious organization strives to win converts.

Two words: money and power.

I grew up in an LDS church before jumping ship in my mid teens. Winning converts and heavily encouraging their adult members to have a lot of kids ... along with a strong push for a 10% tithe ... ensures financial and human resources to expand the scope of their organization's influence all over the world. It's never been about sharing "the truth". It's always been about increasing "membership" in the church. Other large, worldwide religious organizations are no different. When obtaining members becomes more important than sharing the message of Christ ... there is something very wrong.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
The same reason every other religious organization strives to win converts.

Two words: money and power.

I grew up in an LDS church before jumping ship in my mid teens. Winning converts and heavily encouraging their adult members to have a lot of kids ... along with a strong push for a 10% tithe ... ensures financial and human resources to expand the scope of their organization's influence all over the world. It's never been about sharing "the truth". It's always been about increasing "membership" in the church. Other large, worldwide religious organizations are no different. When obtaining members becomes more important than sharing the message of Christ ... there is something very wrong.
I don't think I've ever seen catholics going door to door trying to convert people . I've seen baptists though.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times
I have not seen Bhuddists do this. Nor Hindus (excepting for "Hare Krishnas" who are a minority anyway and you do not seem them in airports any more). Nor Sikhs. Nor the Tao / Confucious people. Come to think of it, most Eastern religions do not do this. Neither do Atheists.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,608 times
Catholics don't generally evangelize in a door-to-door manner, although sometimes you will see that. But it's NOT to try and gain more members simply for the sake of money or power. Most Christian churches evangelize for the sake of truly reaching out to those who may not know of Jesus Christ, because they want to share the truth of why He came to earth and died for us. I suspect the Mormon church goes door-to-door for the same reason, much like JWs do. They truly care about spreading their beliefs to others in the hopes of winning lost souls to CHRIST - not because they are seeking to gain more power and money.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Catholics don't generally evangelize in a door-to-door manner, although sometimes you will see that. But it's NOT to try and gain more members simply for the sake of money or power. Most Christian churches evangelize for the sake of truly reaching out to those who may not know of Jesus Christ, because they want to share the truth of why He came to earth and died for us. I suspect the Mormon church goes door-to-door for the same reason, much like JWs do. They truly care about spreading their beliefs to others in the hopes of winning lost souls to CHRIST - not because they are seeking to gain more power and money.
If that were truly the case, they would not be pursuing church membership as the ultimate goal of the missionay work. Four years after I left the LDS church, a couple missionaries came knocking on my door to try to get me to come back. After a polite conversation and a polite "no thank you" from me, they handed me a tithing settlement on their way out my door wanting me to settle up for the last four years that I was not actively attending their church. It was at that point that I contacted the church to have my records pulled.

Make no mistake about it, money is the motive .... it may not be the motive for individual missionaries, but it is for the powers that be in the organization itself.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
I have not seen Bhuddists do this. Nor Hindus (excepting for "Hare Krishnas" who are a minority anyway and you do not seem them in airports any more). Nor Sikhs. Nor the Tao / Confucious people. Come to think of it, most Eastern religions do not do this. Neither do Atheists.

I don't think it is the motive of specific groups of religious followers ... just the major, large religious "organizations". Any "organization" that goes out and actively and agressively pursues new members of that "organization" is doing nothing more than attempting to increase the scope of influence and financial base of that "organization" .... especially if they have a strong push for financial contributions from their membership (republican party, democratic party, NRA, National Right to Life, NARAL Pro-Choice America, Greenpeace, etc, etc.) All of these organizations would be powerless without a large membership base and significant financial contributions. Religous "organizations" (not religions themselves) are no different.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times
Quote:
I don't think it is the motive of specific groups of religious followers ... just the major, large religious "organizations". Any "organization" that goes out and actively and agressively pursues new members of that "organization" is doing nothing more than attempting to increase the scope of influence and financial base of that "organization" .... especially if they have a strong push for financial contributions from their membership (republican party, democratic party, NRA, National Right to Life, NARAL Pro-Choice America, Greenpeace, etc, etc.) All of these organizations would be powerless without a large membership base and significant financial contributions. Religous "organizations" (not religions themselves) are no different.
Good points.

On second thought, time for me to start a religion - make money and expand my limited power.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:49 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
I grew up in an LDS church before jumping ship in my mid teens.
Exactly why you dont really know what youre talking about.

How does a mid-teen in any religion know anything about anything when it comes to an entire religion?

Finding like-minded haters that agree with your opinion doesnt really make your opinion valid. Just lop-sided.

Wouldnt you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality