Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

who refuse to hire Gays and Lesbians

Gay News Blog: Did LDS Church violate tax exempt status with stand on gay marriage? (http://gay_blog.blogspot.com/2008/07/did-lds-church-violate-tax-exempt.html - broken link)

Old 09-06-2008, 07:43 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,135 times
Churches shouldn't have tax exempt status in the first place. Also if a church is not hiring someone because of their sexual orientation they are discriminating against them. Employers can't discriminate based on things like sexual orientation, so what they are doing is illegal.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times
Why should it be illegal? Should not a private business owner be able to hire and fire whomsoever he pleases?

FWIW, I'm a big advocate for churches to eschew tax exempt status. That way, they are not indebted to Sugar Daddy and can preach from the pulpit against homosexuality, abortion, etc. without having to worry about losing their tax exempt status.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:47 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Why should it be illegal? Should not a private business owner be able to hire and fire whomsoever he pleases?

FWIW, I'm a big advocate for churches to eschew tax exempt status. That way, they are not indebted to Sugar Daddy and can preach from the pulpit against homosexuality, abortion, etc. without having to worry about losing their tax exempt status.
It's completely asinine that churches get tax exempt status. They should have to pay the government taxes just like everyone else. Why don't atheists, Wiccan covens or Unitarian churches get tax exemption. Interesting that the Christian church gets tax exemption and no one else does. If the church was taxed, the government would have a lot more money. Also, it should be illegal because you can't hire and fire someone based on a private lifestyle, skin color etc. that's discrimination and those things are illegal. You wouldn't want someone to not hire you or to fire you simply because your a Christian.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by elgusano
Quote:
So you're advocating that white Americans should be able to not hire Black, Latino, Asian or Native Americans?
And that Black Americans could do the same to Latinos, Asians and white Americans etc?

Then again, if I would ever run a business I would only hire women who meet my standard of a beauty queen.
I would drown myself in sexXxy women.
Besidez, women can multitask and have a higher pain threshold.

And it would definitely help them in their career advancement when these women aren't afraid of intimacy.
Or as the Love Guru would say: Into-Me-I-See=intimacy, because without intimacy you feel nowhere and like Guru Pitka I want my employees to go from nowhere to now here, so they can better focus on their jobs which will make me insanely happy.
And rich.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
Long since overdue, in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Why should churches be tax exempt in the first place ? They are a business just like any other. If some of those fine churches and church buildings are anything to go by I do not think they come under the "charity" label.

I have to pay taxes for any income earned so why should churches be any different ?

And as employers and businesses they should have to observe whatever legislation any other businesses do.

Good for Obama. Finally someone brave enough to do something about what is nothing short of "defrauding" the country of revenue which could be used for public projects.

I never understood why churches were allowed to get away with not paying their dues. You earn, you pay.

Why should my belief or lack of therein not entitle me to being tax exempt ? Or Mosques, Hindu Temples, Humanist societies, Wicca groups, Easter Bunny worshippers. Why are some beliefs held to be somehow superior or more entitled ?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Personally, I have no problem with some churches losing their tax exempt status..So many churches are run like a corporation or small business with officers to handle their banking business, their loans and their bonds, their properties and their payrolls...They provide luxury services and draw in patrons and ask that they pay for these luxuries....
Just my opinion, but if it looks like a business, and acts like a business, it must be a business..
As long as churches keep accurate records of their charitible contributions, those should be tax deductible, and should be quite hefty deductions to lower the taxes, with all the interest on their loans and depreciation on all the expensive equipment they have should reduce the tax burden to a favorable and fair amount..
I imagine there are still lots of churches that would not meet the criteria of being a business..

Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
When you get into the details of this situation it's a little more complex than it sounds. Big businesses generally have a code of conduct against descrimination against gays and lesbians and there are very good reasons for doing so. First of all, it's very disruptive to have that sort of activity in the workplace so it just makes sense from a business perspective of being productive and most importantly, it's just plain wrong. However, these are decisions that were made by corporations and not the result of any state or federal legislation. Sexual orientation is not included in the list of descriminations in many other organizations and in fact a large number of states have shown their dislike of gays and lesbians by banning gay marriages. I'm not sure that a President could legally do this although I completely agree with the idea. We live in a society that has a majority of citizens who just don't like gays and lesbians and trying to implement legislation like this would be extremely difficult.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
[quote=censusdata;5159049]who refuse to hire Gays and Lesbians

Hmmm... all I can say about the op is if a church publically advertises for a paying, taxable job to be filled, (by public I mean by any news or other public media) then yes, they should follow the equal opportunity laws..It will take much more than a political promise to enforce this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality