Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, Phoenix Lady...

my way of looking at it is this, if I believe and I'm wrong, nothing happens. If I don't believe, and it was right not to believe, nothing happens. If I don't believe, and I was supposed to, I get punished. If I believe, and I am right in that belief, then I am rewarded.

Only one path leads me to reward. The other paths lead to nothingness or punishment. At the very least, my belief could be considered "fire insurance".
But then when your talking about religion is no insurance policy or playing the odds. If you say you believe but don't you fail to achieve the goal of heaven.That is why so many who call themselves christians will not go to heaven as the bilble points out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
It's just one of many possible reasons TO believe. You're not asked WHY you believe, just whether you do or not.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,709 times
Default Some guy name Timothy?

And I guess because some guy named "Timothy" wrote that, then that settles it. That is the be all end all of it all....something Timmy wrote... Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
2 Timothy 3:14 "But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you".

Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 AM

Talking Hopeless logic

I think I might write a few "holy" letters, in which I will make it clear, stating that all "holy" letters, written by me are inspired by the sacred monkeys, I wrote it but monkeys inspired it. I "gurandamntee" you someone will find it 300 years form now and , lol, and quote to others with the same conviction. I just wish I could be around to laugh at the dummies that actually will believe it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
2 Timothy 3:16 says that ALL scripture is inspired by God. Man wrote it down, but they wrote what God told them to write. I believe the Bible is trustworthy because God was in control of its writing. In John 14:6 Jesus said He is the truth and I believe it.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 AM

Default Whew how exhausting!

give you a medal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
Since what I believe is based upon the Word of God, which I believe was yes, written by man, under the inspiration of God, and since I believe God is not a mna that He would lie to us, nor that His word would ever come back to us void, I do not believe that I will find out that all I have believed in is not true.

However, having said that, IF and that is a big IF to me, I were to ever find out that it was not true, my reaction may be a bit of a shock at first, but, after that wore off I would realize that my life was much better off for my beliefs than it would have been without it.

Reason being is that because of my belief, I try to live my life as best as I can, in a manner that is pleasing to God's eyes. In doing so...

I try to live my life in a loving and compassionate manner towards others, rather than being rude, mean or condescending.
I try to judge not lest I be judged by the same rod, rather than being judgmental about others.
I try to be forgiving, rather than hold grudges or seek revenge.
I try to extend a helping hand whenever I possibly can, rather than being selfish and thinking only of myself.
I try to take a good long hard look at myself and see in what ways I need to change and improve.
I live my life with hope, rather than despair.
I see each day holding a purpose, rather than living a meaningless life.
I seek my treasures in Heaven, rather than in the material things of the here and now which in the end I won't take any of them with me.
I try to look for the good in others, rather than focusing on the bad.
I try to see people not as how they are right now, but as how God created them to be and what they could be through Him. In other words, seeing their potential.
I try to instill morals, values and a good sense of character in my children, rather than watching them being consumed with the things of this world which could lead them to much destruction.

These are some of the things that I try to do in my life, all of which I believe makes me a better person. Therefore, IF what I believe turns out to not be true, no harm done really. I lived a good life and hopefully left an impact upon some of the lives that I touched along the way.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Good questions, moonsavvy.
For all too many, I think someday will sadly find out their fondest beliefs are wrong and mistaken. Too many go along with what their parents or friends have taught, unquestioning. What has happened is people are too proud to admit they don't know certain things. They form "cast in concrete" opinions, formed from hearsay or questionable origin, but where no amount of proof will sway them otherwise. They essentially become unteachable.
They have two little boxes in their minds: one labeled "my facts, they're true, and you can't convince me otherwise", and the other labeled "not true...I don't believe it, fiction". Perhaps they ought to consider adding a third little box (ok, make that a LARGE one) labeled "just don't know...."

Bud
So true!! Easier to believe in something/anything even than to not know. Humans don't like shades of grey or do very well in the unknown. Esp. Western Culture where we have to have all the answers and be in control as much as possible.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
I have come to believe that most things in life from nutrition, history, and religion has been a lie.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthursChoice View Post
I think I might write a few "holy" letters, in which I will make it clear, stating that all "holy" letters, written by me are inspired by the sacred monkeys, I wrote it but monkeys inspired it. I "gurandamntee" you someone will find it 300 years form now and , lol, and quote to others with the same conviction. I just wish I could be around to laugh at the dummies that actually will believe it!
Guess it's better to believe in something, than to believe in nothing.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
I think most religious people are too scared to question whether or not their belief's are true so rather than question they go along with them, just in case.

And that's why I call religion fear based.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Even if its a head of lettuce...

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramar View Post
guess it's better to believe in something, than to believe in nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality