Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times

Advertisements

I hope no one's asked this question but I'm too lazy to search the thousands of posts on here so here goes:

Whatever religion, if you believe in God, what's the deal with all the suffering in the world? Why do we suffer?

If there is a heaven, how come nobody wants to die? Take Pope John Paul. They did everything in their power to keep him alive.

Anyone ever see Lord of the Rings? That's what I imagined, if heaven did exist, would be like. We sail off into heaven as we wave good by to our loved ones on earth, not die from some horrible disease like cancer or old age or even a young age like babies for that matter.

I'm not a religious person per say but I'm not an atheist, either. Just somewhere in the middle. Went to Awana as a kid if anybody knows what that is (kinda like Bible study I guess) so I kind of have a "religious background".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I hope no one's asked this question but I'm too lazy to search the thousands of posts on here so here goes:

Whatever religion, if you believe in God, what's the deal with all the suffering in the world? Why do we suffer?

If there is a heaven, how come nobody wants to die? Take Pope John Paul. They did everything in their power to keep him alive.

Anyone ever see Lord of the Rings? That's what I imagined, if heaven did exist, would be like. We sail off into heaven as we wave good by to our loved ones on earth, not die from some horrible disease like cancer or old age or even a young age like babies for that matter.

I'm not a religious person per say but I'm not an atheist, either. Just somewhere in the middle. Went to Awana as a kid if anybody knows what that is (kinda like Bible study I guess) so I kind of have a "religious background".
This has come up several times, but I don't mind answering it. There is suffering because we live in a fallen sinful world, so there will always be pain and disappointments here, but we have a God who loves us and who said He would never leave us and will give us His strength to endure anything that comes our way, nothing happens that is not sifted through His loving hands first. Romans 8:28 is a promise for Christians that God will turn everything bad that happens to us into good.
Yes there is a Heaven and yes I want to go, but I also want to be here with my husband and enjoy life as long as I can and live my life to the fullest. And I know what Awana is

Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 PM

So is suffering like a punishment from God? Or, if suffering is "made by God" (because God made everything), then can't he just take it away? Or like, what about little kids getting a really terrible disease. We can all agree that they are totally innocent, right? So why make them suffer? I mean, I know that as adults we are sinful, I get that, but children are innocent.

I bring this up because I had a memory of my Dad today. He died in 2005 from prostate cancer and one night while I was helping him get ready for bed (Mom had to tend to her mother who lived in another country), he had a talk with me and told me not to be afraid because he wasn't afraid anymore. I remember that day, hating that he said that because I knew it wouldn't be much longer. Watching someone you love whittle away is about the cruelest thing anyone can experience (next to the person actually suffering that is). If it was his time, why didn't God just take the poor man. Why'd He make him suffer for a year before taking him away?

Don't worry, I'm not one of those "I hate God/religion" people. I guess it's just the philosophical side of me asking questions, trying to find a "reason" for something that was so senseless.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
So is suffering like a punishment from God? Or, if suffering is "made by God" (because God made everything), then can't he just take it away? Or like, what about little kids getting a really terrible disease. We can all agree that they are totally innocent, right? So why make them suffer? I mean, I know that as adults we are sinful, I get that, but children are innocent.

I bring this up because I had a memory of my Dad today. He died in 2005 from prostate cancer and one night while I was helping him get ready for bed (Mom had to tend to her mother who lived in another country), he had a talk with me and told me not to be afraid because he wasn't afraid anymore. I remember that day, hating that he said that because I knew it wouldn't be much longer. Watching someone you love whittle away is about the cruelest thing anyone can experience (next to the person actually suffering that is). If it was his time, why didn't God just take the poor man. Why'd He make him suffer for a year before taking him away?

Don't worry, I'm not one of those "I hate God/religion" people. I guess it's just the philosophical side of me asking questions, trying to find a "reason" for something that was so senseless.
No I do not believe God punishes us with suffering and pain, it it just part of the fallen world we live in, sin is here and as long as we live in this sinful world, bad things will happen. Sometimes it is consequences of our own choices, sometimes it is just life. But God is still in control. I just watched family member suffer for months before dying of cancer at her funeral her husband spoke and said some say what a tragedy, but I say it would have a greater tragedy if I had never married my wife, if she had not gotten the wonderful care she got before she died, if she had not know the Lord, that would have been a greater tragedy.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No I do not believe God punishes us with suffering and pain, it it just part of the fallen world we live in, sin is here and as long as we live in this sinful world, bad things will happen.
Ahh, so that is the "answer" to my question. So this "fallen world" you are referring to, is it fallen because humans have made it that way?

Quote:
Sometimes it is consequences of our own choices, sometimes it is just life. But God is still in control.
Back to the "little kids getting a horrible disease" thing. I guess that would fall in the category of "it's just life" but if God is still in control, why does he "steer clear"?

Here's another thing that perplexes me, and I'm just as guilty of doing this, too: When good things happen, we always say "Thank God!" and when bad things happen, we always just say "C'est la vie". I wonder why we never "blam God"?

Quote:
I just watched family member suffer for months before dying of cancer at her funeral her husband spoke and said some say what a tragedy, but I say it would have a greater tragedy if I had never married my wife, if she had not gotten the wonderful care she got before she died, if she had not know the Lord, that would have been a greater tragedy.
That's really sweet.

ILNC, my questions are all very sincere - Just wanted you to know that. Like, I'm not trying to be an jerk or anything. I am genuinely interested in this subject matter. My husband is Catholic (nonpracticing) and when I ask him these questions, he never has an answer for me!!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Ahh, so that is the "answer" to my question. So this "fallen world" you are referring to, is it fallen because humans have made it that way?

Back to the "little kids getting a horrible disease" thing. I guess that would fall in the category of "it's just life" but if God is still in control, why does he "steer clear"?

Here's another thing that perplexes me, and I'm just as guilty of doing this, too: When good things happen, we always say "Thank God!" and when bad things happen, we always just say "C'est la vie". I wonder why we never "blam God"?

That's really sweet.

ILNC, my questions are all very sincere - Just wanted you to know that. Like, I'm not trying to be an jerk or anything. I am genuinely interested in this subject matter. My husband is Catholic (nonpracticing) and when I ask him these questions, he never has an answer for me!!
In this world sometimes people make wrong sinful choices that result in bad consequences for them and others.
As far as the children I don't have all the answers, sometimes God heals sometimes He doesn't but He is always there with love and support and strength in every situation. We can release our anxieties and rest in Him until the storms die down.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Everyone has suffered once in their lives, we have all known fear, pain and misery. Life is a *****....it sure isn't easy.
You can either say ok I'm going to stand up and deal with it and learn from this, or you can fall to fear and desperation by reaching out to the supernatural hoping that it will "magically" fix things for you.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Ahh, but my question isn't about how to handle suffering but rather why it occurs. From your comment, I deduce that we suffer because "life's a b*tch". I can totally respect that, which I do, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it! I think there's more to life than just "you live, you suffer, with a little happiness in there, too, and then you die."

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 PM

Trusting God to be our rock, salvation and strength will change our entire outlook on life. When you rest in God's strength nothing can shake you.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Ahh, but my question isn't about how to handle suffering but rather why it occurs. From your comment, I deduce that we suffer because "life's a b*tch". I can totally respect that, which I do, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it! I think there's more to life than just "you live, you suffer, with a little happiness in there, too, and then you die."
No you don't have to like it. Tell God how you feel. He will understand, cry, yell, scream, pour your heart out to Him. But the root cause for all the pain and suffering is a sinful world. But God has given us a way out, a way to accept it, maybe not always understand it, but accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality