Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,702,019 times

Advertisements

Dont people understand, not everyone believes as you do, so pressing your beliefs on someone and making them feel low, isnt right. You have the right to go to church and judge each other and do it in your home but you have no right out right calling people sinners or it is devient or what not , not everyone shares your belief. it is there life and they will have to deal with whatever end there is.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,152,186 times
Everyone has the right to live the lifestyle they have chosen. As I have stated before we all have our agency. If you are addressing me I am not pressing my beliefs on anyone. I am simply stating what I believe to be true. I believe that everyone has the right to believe or to not believe what they want. Yes a person will have to deal with whatever end there is and be accountable for their actions but that is their choice. I am not being jugemental despite what you think. I believe the original question was can you be gay and Christian? Not can you be gay? Ofcourse you can be gay just not IMO gay and Christian.
And that is sad about your friend. I don't know him but I'm gathering he doesn't really have faith. If gay is his chosen lifestyle and he feels he is living in fear then I would say to him life is short and to be happy in what he has chosen. Not everyone is perfect. Maybe he needs to live that lifystyle to find out how he truly feels about it.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,702,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Everyone has the right to live the lifestyle they have chosen. As I have stated before we all have our agency. If you are addressing me I am not pressing my beliefs on anyone. I am simply stating what I believe to be true. I believe that everyone has the right to believe or to not believe what they want. Yes a person will have to deal with whatever end there is and be accountable for their actions but that is their choice. I am not being jugemental despite what you think. I believe the original question was can you be gay and Christian? Not can you be gay? Ofcourse you can be gay just not IMO gay and Christian.
And that is sad about your friend. I don't know him but I'm gathering he doesn't really have faith. If gay is his chosen lifestyle and he feels he is living in fear then I would say to him life is short and to be happy in what he has chosen. Not everyone is perfect. Maybe he needs to live that lifystyle to find out how he truly feels about it.
Thats just it he didnt choose it. It is what he is, born that way. Never been any other way, he tried but it wasnt right. Who would choose this life,living in fear, people hating, being attacked and beaten, no one chooses it, they just are. He does have faith thats the problem, he feels he is being punished by god and that this is his punishment for something he did, he doesnt know what he has done to anger him enough to make him gay. it is really sad, alot of people are worried about him (his understanding friends that know) and No I wasnt addressing you directly, sorry if it seemed that way.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,917,366 times
I gotta weigh in on this dreameyes/nea1 conflict.

DREAMEYES: You state in your opinion a person can not be gay and a Christian. I am assuming you claim to be a Christian and must say that if you are, that's really not anything you should even voice your opinion on. One God, One Judge...and it ain't you and it ain't me. I don't want to go into a ton of details or scripture, but would your response be different if this thread were "Can you be a liar and be a Christian?" or "Can you be a glutton and be a Christian?" or "Can you be an addict (meth, sex, caffeine) and be a Christian?" Remember, the only folks that Jesus railed against in Scripture were the folks that thought they were the holiest.

NEA1: I'm sorry for your friend. Some of these comments to you may sound harsh, but I certainly do not mean them that way. First, if your friend wants to be free, he has to go after it. One thing that walking in the Spirit requires is seeking God fervently. While your friend is certainly free to associate and be friends with whoever he chooses, sharing all he has with you regarding his spiritual struggles obviously isn't very productive. I don't know how you try and help him..maybe something like "God wants you to be happy" or "You can't change who you are." (Both of those statements are arguable but that's a different thread) I don't know what you say. But I know from watching your posts in this and several other threads that if I were truly seeking God to set me free from something, I'd respectfully decline your counsel. Even Amaznjohn has said that his faith was strong and he served diligently until he surrounded himself with non-believers. I'm not slamming you or really even criticizing you, I'm just saying that IF a person believes and is struggling, there is biblical evidence that suggests some of their former relationships may need to change or at least the nature of them need to change.

ALL: This post and this topic is one that should be approached with caution from a Christian standpoint. We (Christians) like to dance on this subject and honestly, I think we should deal with the "plank in our own eye before we try and help our brother or sister with the speck in their eye." ( I think somebody famous said that somewhere.) I think I've said in other posts that if two "saved" people get divorced and those same two "saved" people remaried two other "saved" people, then, according to the Word, they are now in an adulterous relationship. By the way, our churches are full of those people. What I'm saying is that while we were/are/will be STILL SINNERS, Christ died for us. All of us. As stated above, the people that Jesus called hypocrites and the 'sons of the devil' were the holiest acting and talking people around. God is the Judge, we are the messengers of Light. We're Salt, and if salt loses its saltiness, then it is worthless.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 AM

1,247 posts, read 930,578 times
Dreameyes, can an adulterer be a Christian? That's also a "sin" in the Bible. What about stealing? Have you EVER taken something that's not yours? What about lying? I know for a fact that you've lied before. I know you've lied many times. It's human nature and you cannot change it. Does that make you not a Christian?

I could go on. I can poke holes in your facade all day long.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,269,105 times
It is not judgemental when one posts a thread entitled: Can one be gay and a Christian for a person to answer with their opinion. Why is it ok for the people that answer yes to offer their opinions but when a person answers no they are basically attacked and called judgemental. Everyone has a right to post opinions, some based on facts, some just based on emotions. You are doing the exact same thing you are accusing people of, YOU are being judgemental.

Christians believe the Bible is the Word of God, nothing could be more factual. Many of you are basing your response on emotions, that is fine also. Just don't jump on Christians please.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,917,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Many of you are basing your response on emotions, that is fine also. Just don't jump on Christians please.
Spunky, My post is based on the Word and I am a Christian. Didn't mean to sound judgemental at all.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 03-30-2007 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Extra 's'

Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,166,708 times
I have one important and significant point I'd like to make, one I've attempted to make before:

Christians are many; not all Christians follow the Word of God, as you say, to the letter of the written word.

While those who have posted here follow the word, not all Christians do, and would not agree that a homosexual can't be Christian. In fact, there are churches that are totally homosexual; pastors that are homosexual, and churches that speak directly to the conflict between Christianity and homosexuality.

If you are a Christian who does not believe you can be gay and retain your Christianity, it would be helpful to clarify which Church or following you are a member of rather than making a blanket statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
It is not judgemental when one posts a thread entitled: Can one be gay and a Christian for a person to answer with their opinion. Why is it ok for the people that answer yes to offer their opinions but when a person answers no they are basically attacked and called judgemental. Everyone has a right to post opinions, some based on facts, some just based on emotions. You are doing the exact same thing you are accusing people of, YOU are being judgemental.

Christians believe the Bible is the Word of God, nothing could be more factual. Many of you are basing your response on emotions, that is fine also. Just don't jump on Christians please.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 AM

1,247 posts, read 930,578 times
Quote:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
I see nothing about homosexuality in this verse. Are you speaking for God? You realize that claiming that by homosexuals cannot be Christians, you are putting words in God's mouth, right? What do they call that, blasphemy? Isn't that a pretty big sin, too?

Dreameyes, it is not your place to decide who is a Christian and who is not. That is God's decision. By putting yourself in that position, you are sinning, yourself.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:46 AM

23,032 posts, read 34,467,498 times
[QUOTE=Alpha8207;515074

honestly, I think we should deal with the "plank in our own eye before we try and help our brother or sister with the speck in their eye." ( I think somebody famous said that somewhere.)

Yes it was someone famous, it was Jesus in Matt 7:3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality