Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM

307 posts, read 479,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Discussions in threads are assumed to be public debates. Otherwise you could PM Brian if you want to have a private conversation.

My moral standards are just fine thanks. It's statements like those you make that give you that "Holy Roller", condescending air. You make it seem like we are devoid of morality, when in fact most of us are not Christians because of morality, by way of the Biblical examples I have listed in the OP.

Your tone is very aggressive, John. Perhaps when we see just words and no facial expressions or body movements we can misconstrue the intentions and attitudes of the poster. I'm not quite sure what I have done to incur your wrath. Brian doesn't talk to me like this, and some would say he has more reason to.

Look, you may not like it, and you profess to be such a tolerant person, anything goes sort of man, but I am perfectly entitled to hold my views. I don't much like some of your opinions, but that's life and we all have to put up with each other. I am not a 'Holy Roller', whatever that means, but I think I know. I just said I'm the same as everyone else and have my failings. You ARE intolerant. You cannot bear to know that there are people that believe in God. It is alien to you. You just don't like it. You told Sandgirl you would never try to stop her practising her beliefs. But my guess is thatif you actually became ruler of the world, she would be pushed to the back of the queue and made to stay there. (Like the rest of us)
My guess is that you would be quite a tyrant. Tolerance my eye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM

348 posts, read 502,707 times
Quote:
I don't stand on the sidelines when people are being persecuted because of religious oppression. Too many folks did that in California, and that is how a religious majority voted to remove equal rights for homosexuals.

It's nice that you think we should adhere to some standards where sex is concerned, but that's really just your religious opinion. We don't share your religion, and don't care for interference or restriction of our rights due to someone else's religion.
Quote:
elizabeth7:What it is with you, John? I was in here minding my own business and having a pleasant discussion with Brian. What you or Su do is of supreme unimportance to me. I am, and have been, no saint but try to live by some moral standards. Oh what a horrible word...moral. Run for the hills!
I feel duty-bound to support you here, john, especially as Elizabeth is taking my name in vain!

Looks like you and me and SuSu are all trying as hard as ever in our individual ways to get across what should be a pretty straightforward point, but somehow, we're still not penetrating that magnificent defensive carapace that Christians carry around to deflect all attacks - even the nice ones...

I'm scratching my head for another tack, other than plain reasonableness, but I keep thinking of that Greek hero who had to push a bolder uphill, only for it to roll down again as soon as he thought he'd reached the top. Some things are so difficult to change.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The implication here being of course that the rest of us don't have any morals and wouldn't live by them even if we did.

Guess what, I do what's "right" simply because it's right. No other reason than that. If you do "right" because your god or your messiah or your holy book or your church or your religion or your pastor tells you to do so, who then is on a higher "moral" plane of existence? I submit that it's those of us who do it for no reason other than it's the right thing to do, and not because someone tells us to do it and not because we fear any divine retribution if we don't.

If your god exists, he created sex and sexual pleasure and orgasms (GASP!) to be enjoyed. Sorry for you that you can't see that; it must really suck.
We have a word in England for those who talk in such a puerile fashion as you have, but I cannot tell you what it is. It would most definitely be moderated. What a charming person you are. Not.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:47 PM

418 posts, read 708,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Your tone is very aggressive, John. Perhaps when we see just words and no facial expressions or body movements we can misconstrue the intentions and attitudes of the poster. I'm not quite sure what I have done to incur your wrath. Brian doesn't talk to me like this, and some would say he has more reason to.

Look, you may not like it, and you profess to be such a tolerant person, anything goes sort of man, but I am perfectly entitled to hold my views. I don't much like some of your opinions, but that's life and we all have to put up with each other. I am not a 'Holy Roller', whatever that means, but I think I know. I just said I'm the same as everyone else and have my failings. You ARE intolerant. You cannot bear to know that there are people that believe in God. It is alien to you. You just don't like it. You told Sandgirl you would never try to stop her practising her beliefs. But my guess is thatif you actually became ruler of the world, she would be pushed to the back of the queue and made to stay there. (Like the rest of us)
My guess is that you would be quite a tyrant. Tolerance my eye!
Eliz, conflicts like this begin when one group tells another how they should live, based on the one group's religious beliefs not shared by all. If these were only opinions as you state, that would be one thing, but this is not the case. These are actions. Surely you've been paying attention to discrimination against our Gay and Lesbian brothers and sisters that has been somehow justified at the voter booth.

I stand by my statement that I would never vote to prohibit your right to practice your faith. If you want to believe in god, that's your business. It becomes my business when your belief in god violates the rights of others.
Your freedom of religion does not enable you to stomp on the rights of others. Meanwhile, homosexuals just want want is fair and equal, the same as you.

If you can't see that difference, you are surely not being objective.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
I feel duty-bound to support you here, john, especially as Elizabeth is taking my name in vain!

Looks like you and me and SuSu are all trying as hard as ever in our individual ways to get across what should be a pretty straightforward point, but somehow, we're still not penetrating that magnificent defensive carapace that Christians carry around to deflect all attacks - even the nice ones...

I'm scratching my head for another tack, other than plain reasonableness, but I keep thinking of that Greek hero who had to push a bolder uphill, only for it to roll down again as soon as he thought he'd reached the top. Some things are so difficult to change.
Thanks Brian. I will fight for you to have equal rights until the end of my days. It's quite sad to even have this conflict in the 21st century.

Let's hope prejudice and bigotry will be addressed in the next Human Evolutionary stage

Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM

348 posts, read 502,707 times
Quote:
Thanks Brian. I will fight for you to have equal rights until the end of my days. It's quite sad to even have this conflict in the 21st century.

Let's hope prejudice and bigotry will be addressed in the next Human Evolutionary stage
John, you are a true gentleman (and that's as good as a complement gets here in England) - shame that there aren't more straight men like you, it would be such a nicer world.

Thanks, Brian.

ps. On a more frivolous note - are you really as handsome as your profile picture? I don't want to believe it's that arch-bigot, Mel Gibson, unless you are pushing irony to its limit....!!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
John, you are a true gentleman (and that's as good as a complement gets here in England) - shame that there aren't more straight men like you, it would be such a nicer world.

Thanks, Brian.

ps. On a more frivolous note - are you really as handsome as your profile picture? I don't want to believe it's that arch-bigot, Mel Gibson, unless you are pushing irony to its limit....!!
Hah! Good point. I was posted that photo for my Road Warrior persona, but you are completely correct. I should have made that connection. Taking down photo as we speak

As for my handsomeness, in my younger days...

Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 PM

John, I have posted a lengthy reply to you. I came back and it is not here! Must have pressed the wrong button. It's late here. Goodnight to you.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
John, I have posted a lengthy reply to you. I came back and it is not here! Must have pressed the wrong button. It's late here. Goodnight to you.
I hate when that happens.

Catch you tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Brian,

New profile pic up of my beloved canine companions. Check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality