Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,930,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Yeah, you're right. Just because several hundred witnesses saw Jesus walking around after hanging on the cross and dying there's not one bit of proof. Probably a mass hallucination
That's what we call "hearsay". It's not considered evidence even in a very lenient civil court.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:36 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,070,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
That's what we call "hearsay". It's not considered evidence even in a very lenient civil court.

So how many eye witnesses do you need to prove your point in a court of law? One? Five? Ten? You tell me.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,721,794 times
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Just because several hundred witnesses saw Jesus walking around after hanging on the cross and dying there's not one bit of proof. Probably a mass hallucination
Well damn. I see Santa every year at the mall. All bow down to Santa. Santa save us. We worship you Santa.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM

790 posts, read 1,735,180 times
Quote:
So how many eye witnesses do you need to prove your point in a court of law? One? Five? Ten? You tell me.
I think what he means by hearsay is that the witnesses aren't giving their accounts in person to you, rather you're hearing it through someone who heard from someone, etc. In either case, if a group of people from Brazil said they saw God who told them that the correct religion was Jedi, would you immediately try and join some Jedi church or would you be skeptical?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Really, what WOULD it take for an unbeliever to actually believe in God and Jesus?
What if after you die you find out how horribly wrong you were but there is nothing you can do to change it then?
Why not correct the situation RIGHT NOW!!
how would i know i was wrong if my brain and heart were no longer functioning?

oh yeah, I don't care for Christmas. i pretty much buy my family presents out of obligation at this point.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,711,871 times
The pagan community in my town have contributed more to the welfare of my town than the local churches ever did.
At yuletide the pagans visit the old, help decorate the town, hold festivals etc, and not a collection bowl in sight.
These people know what goodwill toward their fellow men really means, and they are respected in our community for it. These are gentle people and they judge nobody.
Yesterday a senior peer in the house of lords proposed the disestablishment of the church of England, it's only a matter of time.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You don't have an "eyewitness". You have hearsay. There's a huge difference.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 AM

33,581 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Quote:
First you would have to prove the bible true, then you would have to prove Jesus even existed. The resurrection story is a bit too far fetched to be true IMO. I think Santa would have an equal chance of being proven.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The pagan community in my town have contributed more to the welfare of my town than the local churches ever did.
At yuletide the pagans visit the old, help decorate the town, hold festivals etc, and not a collection bowl in sight.
These people know what goodwill toward their fellow men really means, and they are respected in our community for it. These are gentle people and they judge nobody.
Yesterday a senior peer in the house of lords proposed the disestablishment of the church of England, it's only a matter of time.
Hmmm, wasn't the "church" of England only formed in order to allow Henry VIII to get a legal divorce, because the Catholic church said he couldn't? Seems to me it was something like that.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,183,790 times
Quote:
So what? What is the proof that he was a son of god, that he preformed miracles, died for your sins, resurrected, and gone to heaven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality