Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times

Advertisements

Who watched the PBS show the Mormons?

Me and Joey S. share the same BIrthday, and that is merely the beginning of all our similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 PM

328 posts, read 565,882 times
Do you mean the one that was first shown about a year and a half ago?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
Do you mean the one that was first shown about a year and a half ago?
Yeah- BUT a year and a half ago I was in labor so i was kinda busy.

Nobody else ever saw this show? I haven't even gotten through part 1 yet.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Ya I think a lot of people watched the show? What is the point.
...who is Joey S.???????????

Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Yeah- BUT a year and a half ago I was in labor so i was kinda busy.

Nobody else ever saw this show? I haven't even gotten through part 1 yet.
There are some good and bad points to the documentary. My biggest beef is with the claim of anti-intellectualism towards the end. That part is ridiculous. They interview a woman who had some real problems and they make the LDS Church look really oppressive---eerie music, a stark and fake scene of an empty and ominous room, all while trying to depict the disciplinary council, etc. The producer took the side of the woman in that incident and then used it to generalize about the Church.

But since both LDS Christians and anti-Mormons complained, you know that it probably had some level of balance. Just don't take everything as being necessarily being a true representation LDS belief, practice, or culture.

Oh, and the discussion of dancing I thought was weird. I've never seen anything like that in the Church. It was blown way out of proportion. It isn't bad or anti-Mormon, just irrelevant and over-emphasized.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM

I had some issues with the show (or with the religion perhaps?)
This is all my personal opinon which i am not trying to disregard that others have an easier time with this faith than i happen to.

I watched the show with an open mind because i hoped to find out that I could believe in it, without questonining so much of it.
If i am correct the isrealites floated all the way to upstate NY with magic golden plates which they buried. Is there any scientific data supporting that the israelites were in upstate ny?

A lot of it sounded like it was easy to believe because if you had spoke this story back in the 1800's because there was no science available.

The revelation of polygamy years after he started sleeping with a 19 yr old seems backwards. They said he had many wives and families almost 10 yrs BEFORE The revelation. Did the followers at the time know he had been doing that for years before the revelation?

What did make me sad was the innocents murdered at the meadows incident where they blamed the native americans for their sickening murder of hundreds of innocent wagoners.

I understand they were upset over the mill thing in missouri (that was very wrong of missouri people) and the one guy getting killed in arkansas, but to recklessly kill hundreds of men women and innocent children and then calculatedly blame the native tribres for it? They tricked them into thinking they were safe and then opened fire?.

Many said Brigham knew what was going to happen and i feel a real man of God would have stopped it and denounced it and prevented them from doing it as best he could.

Anyone know why a man of God would authorize the slaughter of innocent people in the name of God?

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-21-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned quoted post

Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Won't comment on much of your post but as for the meadows thing. Brigham Young had absolutely no knowledge of it and would never have condoned such a horrific act. He was and is a man of God. I believe the highest up who knew about it was a very corrupt stake President.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I watched the show with an open mind because i hoped to find out that I could believe in it, without questonining so much of it.
That's always a good idea.

Quote:
If i am correct the isrealites floated all the way to upstate NY with magic golden plates which they buried. Is there any scientific data supporting that the israelites were in upstate ny?
That is not quite correct. The claim is that a single boatload of primarily Ephraimites escaped the destruction of Jerusalem in 600 B.C. and set sail from southern Arabia, eventually ending up somewhere in the Americas. The plates were just a stack of metal plates (no magic at all), connected by rings, on which a small part of their history was recorded by a warrior/historian around A.D. 380. Nearly all LDS believe that the events took place in Central America and/or Mexico and are probably associated as part of the Mayan culture, but there is no official belief about where the events took place. The record was recovered in western New York.

Quote:
A lot of it sounded like it was easy to believe because if you had spoke this story back in the 1800's because there was no science available.
We only have solid external evidence for the Jerusalem/Arabian part of the story. There is growing textual evidence for linking the several cultures discussed in the Book of Mormon with the Olmec and the Mayan cultures.

Quote:
The revelation of polygamy years after he started sleeping with a 19 yr old seems backwards. They said he had many wives and families almost 10 yrs BEFORE The revelation. Did the followers at the time know he had been doing that for years before the revelation?
The LDS claim is that the revelation came as early as 1831/32, before the first plural marriage. Only a very few knew about it until plural marriage was extended to the Church at large in the 1840s.

Quote:
What did make me sad was the innocents murdered at the meadows incident where they blamed the native americans for their sickening murder of hundreds of innocent wagoners. I understand they were upset over the mill thing in missouri (that was very wrong of missouri people) and the one guy getting killed in arkansas, but to recklessly kill hundreds of men women and innocent children and then calculatedly blame the native tribres for it? They tricked them into thinking they were safe and then opened fire?. Many said Brigham knew what was going to happen and i feel a real man of God would have stopped it and denounced it and prevented them from doing it as best he could. Anyone know why a man of God would authorize the slaughter of innocent people in the name of God?
It was a horrible incident. There is strong historical evidence that not only did Brigham Young not order it, but when he was told that it was going to happen and asked about it, he immediately sent a messenger to forbid such a thing (the messenger arrived after the fact). Some people, mostly anti-Mormons, contest that version and claim that Brigham Young approved and/or orchestrated it, but there is really no evidence for that other than some weak circumstantial evidence. There WAS a kind of cover-up, though when it became known that it had happened, the Church and Brigham Young cooperated with the law.

Click here to read a FAQ on the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Click here to read a longer description of the MMM with links pointing elsewhere.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Won't comment on much of your post but as for the meadows thing. Brigham Young had absolutely no knowledge of it and would never have condoned such a horrific act. He was and is a man of God. I believe the highest up who knew about it was a very corrupt stake President.
That is now what most historical scholars and that woman whos grandparents diary stated he knew about it said. That is what I am going from.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
That is not quite correct. The claim is that a single boatload of primarily Ephraimites escaped the destruction of Jerusalem in 600 B.C. and set sail from southern Arabia, eventually ending up somewhere in the Americas. The plates were just a stack of metal plates (no magic at all), connected by rings, on which a small part of their history was recorded by a warrior/historian around A.D. 380. Nearly all LDS believe that the events took place in Central America and/or Mexico and are probably associated as part of the Mayan culture, but there is no official belief about where the events took place. The record was recovered in western New York.

We only have solid external evidence for the Jerusalem/Arabian part of the story. There is growing textual evidence for linking the several cultures discussed in the Book of Mormon with the Olmec and the Mayan cultures.
What kind of evidence supports that it was probably a part of the mayan culture? that sounds fascinating. So i assume you believe in 2012 like the mayans do.

where can i find links to the evidence to the fact that the mayan cultures are involved with mormons that are historical ones not religious links. Thanks for clearing that other part up.

Quote:
It was a horrible incident. There is strong historical evidence that not only did Brigham Young not order it, but when he was told that it was going to happen and asked about it, he immediately sent a messenger to forbid such a thing (the messenger arrived after the fact). Some people, mostly anti-Mormons, contest that version and claim that Brigham Young approved and/or orchestrated it, but there is really no evidence for that other than some weak circumstantial evidence. There WAS a kind of cover-up, though when it became known that it had happened, the Church and Brigham Young cooperated with the law.
I saw the show and many historians believed he knew, they also agreed he allowed the cover up of blaming the native americans.
Someones diary stated he knew about it and that diary belongs to a mormon who was there for the meetings.

Even if he wasn't aware, how do you justify that behavior and keep them mormons? Why did you allow those people to contuinue to be mormons and not excommunicate them for the unforgival sins they commited? If you do not denounce those evil doers, then you must have accepted and agreed with them?

I don't care to read religious links. I really want to get the whole real picture so i need secular links. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality