Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which religion is the most peaceful?
Hinduism-Sikhism 2 4.17%
Buddhism-Shinto 18 37.50%
Islam 2 4.17%
Christianity-Catholic 9 18.75%
Jainsim 6 12.50%
Pagan/Wicca 2 4.17%
A religion not listed on here. (Please post that religion) 6 12.50%
None of them! They all are war and money lovers!!!! 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,594,083 times

Advertisements

Which religion do you think is the most peaceful religion?

And you don't have to pick the religion you are. I am Wiccan but I think Buddhism is by far the most peaceful religion.

If you are Christian but think that Hinduism (for example) is the most peaceful, then feel free to vote for that.

Please please try to keep bias out of this. Don't just vote for your religion unless you do think it is the most peaceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM

418 posts, read 709,322 times
It's a hard choice, but I'll go with Jainism based on the extreme measures its adherents go to, to not harm living things. Buddhism is close too, though I think of Kamikaze pilots during World War II, which is not a black mark on Buddhism, but I haven't heard of violent Jainists. (Though I'm sure there have been.)

The religions I know the most about are Christianity and Judaism, and along with Islam, I'd rank those least peaceful.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:35 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,668,963 times
The Quakers. I have yet to meet a Quaker I did not like, a Quaker who was not a pacifist and a Quaker who would not stand up against aggression and war.
They are the most balanced, and most peaceful people I know by a long shot.
Their relationship with God seems a pure , deeply personal one and thus equipped with tolerance and empathy they can embrace other faiths, philosophies and do not become partisans . I like that very much and have a great deal of respect for them. As an Atheist they impress me very much and I wish all religious/lay people had the same moral strength.

Sikhism seems a very odd choice as Sikhs are a warrior religion... and completely different to Hinduism.... Not that Hinduism is that defined as a religion. It is as much a cultural set of values as ones of religious precepts .

Sikhs are extremely proud of their warrior history and status and though they do share some values with Hinduism also vary from them far too much to be considered in the same sentence.

All Sikh men use the suffix "Singh" , meaning Lion ( not a Sikh word in origin but from Rajput as far as I know) as they value their bravery in battle and warrior status.

My Sikh friends would be extremely surprised at the being bungled together. They do share certain beliefs such as re-incarnation but are also at extreme odds in many respects.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:50 AM

328 posts, read 566,684 times
Which religion do you think is the most peaceful religion?

Mine. And if you disagree with me, just step outside and we'll settle this once and for all.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,592,494 times
Having a personal relationship with the Lord ,knowing His Son Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins for those who believe in Him. This is the most peacedful and loving relationship there is.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,357,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Having a personal relationship with the Lord ,knowing His Son Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins for those who believe in Him. This is the most peacedful and loving relationship there is.
"The Lord' is not the same for everyone. Many millions have died in the name of Jesus, so Christianity cannot be considered a religion of peace. After all, if it were so peaceful, wouldn't the Christian right be supporting a total pull-out from Iraq because all war is bad? Only those religions that are truly pacifist can be considered peaceful. Jainism and Buddhism are much more peaceful, especially when you look at their holy scriptures in comparison to the blood-filled bible. How anyone can claim Christianity is peaceful with all the blood shed over the word of Jesus (inquisition?) is beyond me.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,134,729 times
Although I am Christian, I would have to say I choose Buddhism as the most peaceful religion. I will admit to knowing nothing at all about Jainism.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,685,675 times
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
There has not been ONE war or death caused because of this religion.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:02 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,134,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
There has not been ONE war or death caused because of this religion.
Hah! Just wait until someone loses an eye because of a meatball and then it will hit the fan.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,677,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
...Except for little things like the Spanish Inquisition, which offered Jews the peace-loving choice of accepting the Church or death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality