Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
It depends on where you're standing in reference to why any religion does what they do. In this case, the reason they wear a crucifix is not that they think he wasn't resurrected but that they're emphasizing what he did for us--died on the cross. That's just one 'station' they recognize on Christ's journey--for lack of a better word right now--to Calvary.

Some interpret that to mean not to worship the images. Anyone who knows their Christian faith does not worship them.

He of all people should have known better than that. It wasn't a cross which crucified Jesus but the sin of man. Yet, we continue in our sins, not only without a second thought in many cases, but defending it all the way.

I'd never presume to know why who wears what but I suspect--as it is for myself--people have always used symbols of all sorts as a token or to identify with themselves, their hopes, their dreams, their philosophies, their faith. I don't think about other people or what they think of me when I put on my cross.

Nobody, as far as I know, has told any Christian they should be wearing a cross. It's just a very personal preference. I'd be more concerned about someone announcing their Christianity and treating people like the devil. Better yet, I'd be more concerned with am I doing what I need to be rather than worrying about what others are? I can honestly answer that with a, no, not nearly as much as I need to.

Interesting topic.
Thank your for really answering my question point by point. WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM

14,964 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
That wasn't a cross. That was me. I was helping some quakers build a barn. The worst part is that the barn was in Ohio. That was a rough year, and I only got the one cross-beam. I try to forget it. Thanks alot.
Too funny.....

Old 03-06-2009, 08:55 AM

14,964 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Crosses, fishes, star of david, the roman cross, the jerusalem cross, menorah, there's a big list.

If you use a symbol of your faith... I hope you can live up to what it stands for... especially in the DMV line after 4 hrs of wating. or being stuck in traffic. It's funny (not really) how many single finger salutes I see by cross wearing, fish symbol drivers.

..but I digress

Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
About 10 years ago, a minister at my church stated to me that there was a marked difference between the Protestant cross and the Catholic cross. I never realized the difference until he he said that the cross you see in some protestant churches doesn't have Jesus hanging on it. He stated that the Catholic church's cross still has Jesus hanging on it as if he never was ressurrected.
If these sorts of "Christians" paid as much attention to their own issues as they do dreaming up ways to slam Catholics, they might actually start looking vaguely Christlike.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
Luke 9:23-25 "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it”

Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinda nuke View Post
Luke 9:23-25 "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it”
Um...Christ wasn't talking about wearing an actual cross in this passage. It is a metaphor.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
I appreciate people wearing cross jewelry.

Small cross on a delicate gold chain around the neck and against the skin on women, no problem.

Blingy crosses worn outside of clothing, especially business dress/suit, or pinned to a lapel, thanks for the warning, as you probably should not be trusted or considered honest or ethical. I'll keep my hand on my wallet, read and contract we may be entering very closely and be sure you are never alone with my grandkids.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
I think the OP has the cross mixed up with the crucifix, two different things, nothing wrong in wearing the cross because Christian religions have that common denominator. The crucifix like the OP stated was as if God was never resurrected, the stain of His blood meant nothing.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 AM

889 posts, read 825,173 times
Here's a comment on http://threeminuteapologetics.blogsp...rucifixes.html

- As Archbishop Fulton Sheen so beautifully put it: "Keep your eyes on the crucifix, for Jesus without the cross is a man without a mission, and the cross without Jesus is a burden without a reliever." As Exodus 20 plainly puts it, the Catholic Church certainly teaches that commandment. Those who worshiped idols did exactly that: they WORSHIPED them. I have yet to meet any Catholic who worshiped their crucifix. All the other religious images you may find in a Catholic Church (crucifix, statues, stained glass, etc.) are beautiful reminders of God's deep, wide, and great love for His children and also salvation history. Besides, most people back in the earliest days of Christianity were unable to read, so physical, tangible images helped in their evangelization (aside from the fact that bibles were not as readily available and distributed as they are today). "

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 08-07-2012 at 02:39 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I think the OP has the cross mixed up with the crucifix, two different things, nothing wrong in wearing the cross because Christian religions have that common denominator. The crucifix like the OP stated was as if God was never resurrected, the stain of His blood meant nothing.
I have heard a Catholic woman describe the crucifix as a reminder to her that Jesus loved her so much that he was willing to be crucified for her. It was not that she was looking at it as if the resurrection never happened or that it meant nothing--quite the opposite. It meant a great deal to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality