Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:37 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,191,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Someone on these boards said that one of the best things about us invading Iraq was that we could "teach them about Jesus" or something like that. It was such a totally naive concept. Everyone skipped over the comment, but I still remember it because it made me laugh!
I didn't see that one!! But, remember not all Christians think, "Okay we got them let's give them the Jesus speech"!!! I actually have found that an odd way to introduce Jesus into some one else's culture. I would say get to know them and help them with there needs. Soon enough someone will always ask what makes you do the things for others and where your smile always comes from and then, you can share your belief in Jesus and go from there. Just to go in to a country weather for missonary or war and make a change from one religion to Christianity then, you seem to be pushing it down there throats. I believe you must get to know their religion to be able to tell them about yours if this is your mission in foriegn land.
You know this is a tough call for Christians because, once you find your faith in Jesus we are told to tell all , I guess it's all in the way you go about it. It's sad so many approaches have turned people away instead of wanting to hear more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 11:58 AM

702 posts, read 2,527,105 times
Maybe most people don't WANT to hear more...especially people of other cultures. Culture encompasses many things - language, music, fashion, food, art, RELIGION, etc... Most of the world's cultures already have religion in place, but it's not Christianity and they don't want to hear about it. They believe the same way their ancestors believed, and it's been going on much longer than the U.S. has been a country. I know people in this culture, even some Christians, don't want to hear about it...I can only imagine how other people around the world must feel.

To the 'christian' who referred to me as an idiot...I'll pray for you.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:27 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,190,419 times
I just had a funny thought...

Imagine if we had invaded Iraq with a gazillion "Born Again" Christians or Jehovah's Witnesses just wanting to preach the word! Those Muslims would be fleeing the country with their hands waving over their heads! They'd be wanting to get away from them just like many of us want to get away from them!

Maybe we should have dropped millions of copies of "The Lighthouse" before we started the war, along with posters for the next religious revival meeting??!! We could have intercepted their airwaves and broadcast 72 hours of the 700 Club! That would have driven them to submission pretty quick!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM

702 posts, read 2,527,105 times
The war surely would not be still going on...but I wouldn't want to wish that fate on the Iraqi people. Death and destruction isn't so bad after all when I think about it.

And who knows what war we might be involved in now if Iraq hadn't gone into overtime....

Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,289,242 times
Lightbulb A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand"

Quote:
I just had a funny thought...

Imagine if we had invaded Iraq with a gazillion "Born Again" Christians or Jehovah's Witnesses just wanting to preach the word! Those Muslims would be fleeing the country with their hands waving over their heads! They'd be wanting to get away from them just like many of us want to get away from them!

Maybe we should have dropped millions of copies of "The Lighthouse" before we started the war, along with posters for the next religious revival meeting??!! We could have intercepted their airwaves and broadcast 72 hours of the 700 Club! That would have driven them to submission pretty quick!
First of all since the Jehovah's Witnessing are believing and teaching the same
doctrine as the Muslim except for allah!!! they wouldn't be able to run any one out of anywhere. I'm not ashamed to say if they don't believe Jesus is the Christ. Oh Well, Have to continue to lift them up in prayer. The Holy Bible which is proved to be the true and living Authoritative Word of God teaches us that if any on comes to Him (The Father/God) by any means other than what is taught in His word. (through His SON JESUS'S NAme) is a thief and a robber!!!!!. And both Jehovah's Witness and Muslims believe that Jesus was only a man prophet and not the Messiah.....

Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,289,242 times
Thumbs down Dead Wrong!! All Day Long!!!!!

Quote:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Catholic school principal has organized sensitivity training for students who shouted "We love Jesus" during a basketball game against a school with Jewish students.

The word "Jew" also was painted on a gym wall behind the seats of Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School students attending the Feb. 2 game at Norfolk Academy, said Dennis W. Price, principal of the Virginia Beach school

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_re_us/jesus_chant;_ylt=AkV48.haAznoCHchQEl4v_rMWM0F (broken link)

This is offensive!
THIS IS HATRED!!!! YOU CAN"T LOVE JESUS AND HATE WHO HE CREATED>>>> THIS IS AN ANTI-CHRIST SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!
ignore and pray for those youth
God Bless

Old 08-11-2007, 10:05 PM

679 posts, read 1,440,700 times
Quote:
The Holy Bible which is proved to be the true and living Authoritative Word of God
You can just stop right there with that. You believe what you want, but don't go throwing that "proved" nonsense because that leads to the kinda nonsense that happened at that school. Once you theists start getting all "this is the one true" blah blah then trouble happens.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,207,283 times
Those students were RUDE! I think the school would have be very lax if they had allowed the chanting to continue. It was inexcusable.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:50 AM

41 posts, read 231,614 times
Quote:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Catholic school principal has organized sensitivity training for students who shouted "We love Jesus" during a basketball game against a school with Jewish students.

The word "Jew" also was painted on a gym wall behind the seats of Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School students attending the Feb. 2 game at Norfolk Academy, said Dennis W. Price, principal of the Virginia Beach school

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_re_us/jesus_chant;_ylt=AkV48.haAznoCHchQEl4v_rMWM0F (broken link)

This is offensive!
And that amung other things is why you shouldn't send your kids to a religious school.
They learn "oh Jesus is the savour of the earth" blah blah blah and dont learn about other religions, how can we expect them to respect all religions if they are taught at school that 'Christianity is the one true religion'

Seriously people, kids should be allowed to choose their own religion once they are old enough.

Just to let you know - I am loosely buddhist so therefore I do not believe in any god

Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 AM

122 posts, read 385,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I didn't see that one!! But, remember not all Christians think, "Okay we got them let's give them the Jesus speech"!!! I actually have found that an odd way to introduce Jesus into some one else's culture. I would say get to know them and help them with there needs. Soon enough someone will always ask what makes you do the things for others and where your smile always comes from and then, you can share your belief in Jesus and go from there. Just to go in to a country weather for missonary or war and make a change from one religion to Christianity then, you seem to be pushing it down there throats. I believe you must get to know their religion to be able to tell them about yours if this is your mission in foriegn land.
You know this is a tough call for Christians because, once you find your faith in Jesus we are told to tell all , I guess it's all in the way you go about it. It's sad so many approaches have turned people away instead of wanting to hear more.

But we invaded another country, killed the only guy fit to run the place, and it had nothing to do with 9-11.

Weep now, oh innocent fighting souls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality