Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times

Advertisements

Believers are confident based on a absolute lack of any evidence to support their beliefs.

Atheists are confident based on that very same absolute lack of any evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

397 posts, read 609,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
What if you ended up dying and then found whatever you belief is quite wrong. What would you do or think? This question is for people with any belief, Atheist, Christianity, or any others.

For example for Atheist, what would do if you died and found the Christian belief were true. The God you didn't think exist is very real and you now your in a lot of trouble. The Atheist probably racked up quite bit sins making fun of Christians and God.

Or what if a Christian died and found turns Buddhist belief is as truth. You going to get reincarnated and probably as dog or maybe but since you weren't a very good Buddhist. The Christian should have been focusing on achieving Nirvana instead of worshiping God.

Would you immediately admit your were wrong and starting believing in the truth that was before you? Or would still deny it and cling to whatever your beliefs were?
how can you be wrong unless your proven wrong? if what you believe in is flawless then it has to be right. if everything makes sense, if its never proven wron then it has to be right, right?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 PM

397 posts, read 609,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Believers are confident based on a absolute lack of any evidence to support their beliefs.

Atheists are confident based on that very same absolute lack of any evidence.
theres a difference between a "lack of evidence" and something thats untrue. if it can be proven, if it makes sense, then its true. i believe what it comes down to is all this crap about "you just gotta have faith" or "we can assume that..." people just WANT something to believe in but without proof youve got nothing. but if i tell you a story about me and my life and what happened its really up to you whether you believe me or not, but if it makes sense, if im not lying then i has to be true. maybe you werent there to witness it but that doesnt mean that it didnt happen. it not what you believe its what you can prove. any christian, bhuddist, morman, muslim, atheist, etc. can tell you that they just know what they believe is true but a christian that says i know its true cuz i can feel it or that jesus has answered my prayers a bhuddist can say the same thing no? they can feel it too and they asked the buda for something and it was given to them. but thats not proof, thats a bunch of crap because if u just go based on what you feel or what you believe then your in the same boat as alot of people. if you can PROVE it though. even if its a story, i ask a question about the story and it makes sense then its true. jus like i tell you a story about what happened to me yesterday. if im lying you can tell, i im not it must be the truth. no matter when it was written its just gotta make sense and be proven

Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,584,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The constants of the Universe and centuries of reported events aren't "nothing." They are not absolute proof because that's not desirable. If it were an absolute proof than belief would be compulsory.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:56 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,837,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
The only religion or prophet I stay away from is Islam and Mohammed. Sorry my Muslim friends. Something just does not fit well with me and Islam. It is not because they are anti American and things like that.
The things I read about their Quran..and how they treat their women..and Muhammed marrying a nine year old..just no thank you!!!
You went to the most correct among all such religions and doctrines and opposed it in this way; you are in a manifest error; you are deluded.

The Quran:
The things you read about the Quran? or you read the Quran itself?
Arberry Quran translation (http://www.mlivo.com/translations/Arberry.htm - broken link)
Quran Interpretation

Mohammed married 9 years old girl: this is not in the Quran, but only some narration;

there are other narrations that she was older: 15 or 25 years, so why do you take that narration and leave the others;

to me I think she might be about 15 years or more (specially if we calculate her age when she migrated with her family from Mecca to Medina): the girl here is sexually-mature before the boy: the boy is sexually-mature at about 14 years. The girl is sexually-mature at about 9-10 years.

In addition, see Prophet David: how many women he married: about 101.
Prophet Solomon married many women.
Prophet Abraham married at least 3 women.
Prophet Jacob (Israel) married at least 3 women.

All prophets married women, with the exception of Jesus and his cousin John Baptist: because of certain circumstances and the limited time they had, not because marriage is bad.

How Muslims treat women:
According to the Quran a better treatment than the treatment of the West to women.

Few days ago, I saw a movie film:

A girl in the university goes with her friends (not her husband) as she likes; then her mother forbade her to go with that boy; the daughter refused and told her mother: I shall go to him before your eyes.

Then the mother herself went to her lover and was with him in bed (adultery), then the mother returned home.

The daughter refused her boyfriend attempt to contact her sexually ( was more honest than her mother), so he drove her away, and she returned walking all the night to reach home at 4 am; her mother quarreled with her? Where were you till now?!

The daughter left home angry, and went to her father in another city: her father was with his girlfriend (not his wife): now the daughter asked her father: Why don't you marry my mother? (She was his daughter of adultery not of marriage) and the film continued and I left.

So are the teachings of Mohammed and Jesus different from the Commandments of God? And what are these people following? Satan certainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
This is why I am agnostic. I think I am too worried about picking the wrong religion. I will admit though...I like all religions. I find peace in all of them. I look at a image of Buddha and feel peace. I look at Jesus and feel peace. I look at Krishna and feel peace. I look at Shiva and I feel peace. I look at Guru Nanak and the Gurus and feel peace. Too many other Prophets/Gods to list but you all get the point.

I open my heart and mind to all of them. I honestly do. I open my mind to the possibility of them all existing. So when I die and see what is back there, I can say that I believe in all of them and I can say that I honestly I admit I was wrong. I did nothing too bad on Earth. I never killed someone, raped someone, stolen from people, etc, etc.

Anyone that follows some doctrine other than the devotion to God alone without associate, and do not believe in all the apostles without exception and do not believe in all the revealed books without exception (which is the religion of the Islam) will certainly lose in the afterlife.

As in the Quran 3: 85
وَمَن يَبْتَغِ غَيْرَ الإِسْلاَمِ دِينًا فَلَن يُقْبَلَ مِنْهُ وَهُوَ فِي الآخِرَةِ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ

The explanation:
(And who seeks as religion other than the Islam it will not be accepted from him, and he shall, in the Hereafter, be of those who lose.)

God gave you a respite, this whole period of time, [for reflection] in order to contemplate in his apostlehood and to study His Quran and that you should believe in him.

http://www.quran-ayat.com/conflicts/...the_Scripture_

Quran Interpretation

Last edited by eanassir; 05-21-2010 at 03:31 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The constants of the Universe and centuries of reported events aren't "nothing." They are not absolute proof because that's not desirable. If it were an absolute proof than belief would be compulsory.
The laws of physics provide the constants of the universe, and centuries of deluded people certainly provide the 'reported events'.

Both continue today, unabated.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 05-21-2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,636,930 times
So you've just died, and discovered that your lifelong beliefs were wrong. I suppose this is going to be taken as a ridiculous comment, but the first thing that jumped into my head was, since you're dead, A) you aren't making any discoveries about anything. And following directly, B) you won't be admitting that you were wrong and making the appropriate changes. And this is because C) your time has passed.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 AM

667 posts, read 941,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
What if you ended up dying and then found whatever you belief is quite wrong.
I'm Christian an my believe isn't wrong, but I guess atheists will get some surprises in afterlife.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,166,615 times
Short answer to the OP question...

Not gonna happen.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,112,460 times
It's amazing how some people can't even answer a hypothetical question on an anonymous internet forum when it relates to their beliefs.

If that's not a bad sign, I don't know what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality