Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

Ok, all religions aside..I try not to get religion involved in this. Technically my religion doesn't believe in reincarnation, but whatever, I don't care. I'm not religious. Let's just talk about past lives and leave a reincarnation discussion out of this. If you don't believe in it, please don't create a debate in this thread.

I truly believe we don't just live one life. Our soul lives on and we live many lifetimes so we can learn as we go along.

This is a topic I find fascinating. Ever since I was a kid I've been reading about past lives. I've always been interested in spiritual things like that. Do any of you believe you lived a life in a certain place, certain time period? I'm interested in hearing what other people think they experienced.

I've been having this recurring dream for years now. Slowly the pieces are being put together and I'm 99% sure I died in the Holocaust. In the dream, it's 1942 and I'm about 10 years old. I'm being pushed off a train in the day time and it's cloudy and really cold out. There are soldiers screaming, dogs barking. I walk a long, long time with women and other children. I'm alone because i'm the only one left in my family. We finally reach this small red house in the middle of the woods. We all had to take our clothes off in the woods and leave them. As i'm being led into this red house, I realize I'm going to die. The last thing I see is the door.

Now, each time I dream this I find out more information about myself. That's how I knew it was 1942 and I'm 10 years old.

What's fascinating is that I researched all this. In 1942 in Auschwitz, one of the 2 gas chambers was known as the "little red house." It was then demolished at the end of 1942. It's far back into Auschwitz and in the woods. Coincidence? I never read or saw anything about this small detail. I recently saw a picture of what it looked like, and I started crying the second I saw the picture. It was EXACTLY like I saw it in my dream.

Also, in HS I could never be around when we were learning about the Holocaust. I found it so fascinating, but I just couldn't stop crying when learning about it. Yeah, it's an emotional part of history, but I don't get this emotional over anything else in history.

I did 2 school projects on the Holocaust. I had some other students telling me that it was as if I lived in the holocaust since I knew so many little details about it all (which was before I started reading a lot about it).

So any experiences you'd like to share? I love reading about this stuff, so feel free to write about any thoughts/feelings/experiences you've had. Please keep the debate stuff in another thread, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 04:18 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Ok, all religions aside..I try not to get religion involved in this. Technically my religion doesn't believe in reincarnation, but whatever, I don't care. I'm not religious. Let's just talk about past lives and leave a reincarnation discussion out of this. If you don't believe in it, please don't create a debate in this thread.

I truly believe we don't just live one life. Our soul lives on and we live many lifetimes so we can learn as we go along.

This is a topic I find fascinating. Ever since I was a kid I've been reading about past lives. I've always been interested in spiritual things like that. Do any of you believe you lived a life in a certain place, certain time period? I'm interested in hearing what other people think they experienced.

I've been having this recurring dream for years now. Slowly the pieces are being put together and I'm 99% sure I died in the Holocaust. In the dream, it's 1942 and I'm about 10 years old. I'm being pushed off a train in the day time and it's cloudy and really cold out. There are soldiers screaming, dogs barking. I walk a long, long time with women and other children. I'm alone because i'm the only one left in my family. We finally reach this small red house in the middle of the woods. We all had to take our clothes off in the woods and leave them. As i'm being led into this red house, I realize I'm going to die. The last thing I see is the door.

Now, each time I dream this I find out more information about myself. That's how I knew it was 1942 and I'm 10 years old.

What's fascinating is that I researched all this. In 1942 in Auschwitz, one of the 2 gas chambers was known as the "little red house." It was then demolished at the end of 1942. It's far back into Auschwitz and in the woods. Coincidence? I never read or saw anything about this small detail. I recently saw a picture of what it looked like, and I started crying the second I saw the picture. It was EXACTLY like I saw it in my dream.

Also, in HS I could never be around when we were learning about the Holocaust. I found it so fascinating, but I just couldn't stop crying when learning about it. Yeah, it's an emotional part of history, but I don't get this emotional over anything else in history.

I did 2 school projects on the Holocaust. I had some other students telling me that it was as if I lived in the holocaust since I knew so many little details about it all (which was before I started reading a lot about it).

So any experiences you'd like to share? I love reading about this stuff, so feel free to write about any thoughts/feelings/experiences you've had. Please keep the debate stuff in another thread, thank you
Reincarnation is a part of my faith (Wicca) but I believed long before I knew anything about the religion. It is not only humans but animals who can return. Ever see a dog in the pound and look into their eyes and just know they are yours?

I was a child of less than ten, probably more like seven. I believe I died of random violence against civilians somewhere in ww2 eastern europe. I don't know details, jsut that...

But since I was a very small child, long before I had any reason to feel that way or share the experience, I have been obsessed with survival. Why in an extreme situation do some live and others die? What gives some that extra edge? What mindset does it trigger? What does it feel like to eek out each day?

I've primarily read diaries and memiours, all direct from the person. There are many fascinating things in these works, but somehow from the time I first read them, way back when I was a kid, I could identify.

I have a couple of friends who are very very close, and we have discussions about this kind of thing. One of us does not believe that past issues effect the new life, but myself and the other does, that karma extends as long as it need for us (or the soul) to resolve trauma. Do you feel you have any particular things in this life that you deal with come from the horrors of the one before?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
This subject, to me is one of the great unknowable mysteries. There is absolutely no way of knowing for sure if it is a real phenomenon or explainable in some other way. There are theories that are thrown about like the collective unconscious or genetic memory but they will always remain theories. I guess until we die we don't really know anything for sure. One thing I think though is that if indeed it is for real, there is a reason that we don't remember and probably better left that way. Maybe starting with a clean slate each time gives you a fresh perspective and an opportunity to do better.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Do you feel you have any particular things in this life that you deal with come from the horrors of the one before?

There are a few things:

For as long as I can remember, I can't look at smoke towers, especially if there's smoke coming out. I get really scared and need to look away.

I have really bad feet problems that are unexplainable. I feel like it's from something that happened in a past life. I wish I could find out what exactly, since I hear those physical problems carried into the next life are resolved once you know where it stems from.

I was also watching some Holocaust movie, and at the end was a jewish prayer. Now, i'm not jewish and I know nothing about hebrew, but I knew the prayer. I was somehow saying it out loud when I never heard it before. It was almost as if I went into another state of mind. Really weird.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I've never had an experience that would make me think I've lived before but I've always wondered why did I happen to be born at a certain time and place in Montana in 1949 as opposed to billions of other possibilities. However, if we did live more than one life that would require some essence of ourselves, a soul if you want to call it that, to exist to be able to continue the process. It would also become a logistical problem because there are over 6 billion people alive today and a couple of thousand years ago the total population of human beings would have only numbered in the millions. It seems like we would need a stable number of people dying versus people being born in order to have a new body to be born into. In other words, the 6 billion humans living now couldn't have been living in other bodies a couple of thousand years ago because there simply weren't enough bodies available. I really don't believe that this process actually occurs but I do agree that it seems very odd that we live just once and then we're gone for all eternity.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
What gets me about past lives is that so many people think they were Kings or Princesses in former lives, oh come on in all likeliness you were a commoner.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've never had an experience that would make me think I've lived before but I've always wondered why did I happen to be born at a certain time and place in Montana in 1949 as opposed to billions of other possibilities. However, if we did live more than one life that would require some essence of ourselves, a soul if you want to call it that, to exist to be able to continue the process. It would also become a logistical problem because there are over 6 billion people alive today and a couple of thousand years ago the total population of human beings would have only numbered in the millions. It seems like we would need a stable number of people dying versus people being born in order to have a new body to be born into. In other words, the 6 billion humans living now couldn't have been living in other bodies a couple of thousand years ago because there simply weren't enough bodies available. I really don't believe that this process actually occurs but I do agree that it seems very odd that we live just once and then we're gone for all eternity.
There are several ideas about why you are reborn where and when. One is that we "choose" our parents based on what happened the previous life, so they and the place you are can give what the soul needs to heal. I can't say if this is true or not, (based on the innerfeeling) but would fit my life with parents that nearly drowned me with their sense of protection.

As for numbers, there are old souls which reach the state of knowlege and balance they do not return. There are new souls born which begin the journey. There are those who must wait and heal before they can come to their new life. Perhaps not all lives have been spent as humans. There is no finite number of souls.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:39 AM

414 posts, read 777,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There are several ideas about why you are reborn where and when. One is that we "choose" our parents based on what happened the previous life, so they and the place you are can give what the soul needs to heal. I can't say if this is true or not, (based on the innerfeeling) but would fit my life with parents that nearly drowned me with their sense of protection.

As for numbers, there are old souls which reach the state of knowlege and balance they do not return. There are new souls born which begin the journey. There are those who must wait and heal before they can come to their new life. Perhaps not all lives have been spent as humans. There is no finite number of souls.

This appears to an imp-patient like another foul compromise with an unbearable status quo. Must wait ... \!! Being docile, for sure.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:11 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,304 times
I was born believing in reincarnation. Somehow I just knew it, which is probably why none of the religious indoctrination worked on me. As far as the numbers thing, Montana guy, I was told that many souls are coming in now (last 60 years) for some it's a 2nd time or a 1st for others it's a 200th. We just keep returning until we have experienced everything. It also answers the question abpout why are some suffering or crippled. We may be paying back an old debt or we may just need that experience in order to have more compassion.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
This subject, to me is one of the great unknowable mysteries. There is absolutely no way of knowing for sure if it is a real phenomenon or explainable in some other way. There are theories that are thrown about like the collective unconscious or genetic memory but they will always remain theories. I guess until we die we don't really know anything for sure. One thing I think though is that if indeed it is for real, there is a reason that we don't remember and probably better left that way. Maybe starting with a clean slate each time gives you a fresh perspective and an opportunity to do better.
I tend not to believe in multiple lives here on earth because of those who claim to remember. If the purpose is a clean slate each time, why muddy the water with those who, supposedly, remember? I won't rule out some kind of reincarnation somewhere else (ala Jonathan Livingston Seagull). Seems fruitless to come back to the same place again and again if the purpose is growth. You'd think we'd matriculate to a higher place, though this could explain all the extra souls here. They didn't pass.

I did find the post about choosing our parents interesting though. My daughter talked very young and used to tell me about how she chose me as her mom in the place where she was before she was born. She does not appear to have any past life memories though.

I cannot rule out reincarnation even though my religion teaches against it though. If God judges us in the end, and all we get is one life, so much is left to chance. If we live multiple lives, we're likely to experience just about everything over time making the playing field more even. I can't see the purpose of one life then judgement as if one life is all the chances you need when it's obvious that some have more chances than others. So I tend to believe the purpose of being here is to learn and grow and that would mean moving on to a different plane in the next carnation.

Either way, I don't think we find out in this life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality