Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times

Advertisements

When something good happens (you got a raise, avoided that accident, etc.) you praise God and/or claim that it was a miracle/answered prayer/or divine intervention but when something bad happens (you got into an accident, family member or friend dies, natural disaster, etc.) you claim that God is punishing you/humanity or teaching a lesson. Why aren't these negative/evil events accredited to Satan? If I remember correctly God said that he would no longer cause wrath against humanity after he caused the Great Flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,630,117 times
As Flip Wilson said, "The Devil made me do it!"

Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,075,110 times
Not quite.

God said he'd never again wipe out mankind again with a flood.

But if we're going to thank God for the good times, we need to praise him in the bad times, I've had some rough times in my life due to family illness, job loss, and other things--and I can look back on them and see that I grew from the experiences.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,412,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
When something good happens (you got a raise, avoided that accident, etc.) you praise God and/or claim that it was a miracle/answered prayer/or divine intervention but when something bad happens (you got into an accident, family member or friend dies, natural disaster, etc.) you claim that God is punishing you/humanity or teaching a lesson. Why aren't these negative/evil events accredited to Satan? If I remember correctly God said that he would no longer cause wrath against humanity after he caused the Great Flood.
Ephesians 5:20 "And you will always give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ".

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Always be joyful, keep on praying. No matter what happens always be thankful for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus".

Because I know the Lord, and because I know He is always there for me in good and bad times, and because I know He is in control and nothing happens in my life that is not sifted through His loving hands first, I can be thankful in all things. I believe Romans 8:28.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,192,848 times
Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. (Hab 3:17-18)

Happiness depends on happenings, but joy is defiant - it doesn't need didly.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,842,142 times
I think God made Man responsible for the devil. The devil just exists as the negative conflict to understand at the moment of occurrence, right? But the being of Responsibility which may be returned to over and over lives through God against the principly suffered Wrath.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,442 times
OP - you are right. There can be a tornado that kills 50 people, and someone will find a chid that was saved. Lo and behold, everyone - including the media - will be talking about god's hand in saving the child but no one talks about god's hand in kiling 50 people in the same incident. I thought god was more powerful than satan - he should have won the battle and saved the 50 lives...

Old 12-23-2008, 04:06 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

You're right: those things should be accredited to Satan. Through ignorance though, people blame bad events on God, because they assume He is running EVERYTHING, therefore has caused it. However, the Bible indicates that Satan is the ruler of this world, it's under his (temporary) influence and dominion. Remember where the Bible says he took Jesus to the pinnacle of the temple, and said "I'll give you all this, all these kingdoms that you see, if you will but fall down and worship me". Well, he wasn't lying...he could have...they were indeed his kingdoms, he could have given them away if he wanted to...they were all under his dominion and control. What brought this about? Why isn't God running 100% of the affairs of men? Why isn't God running 100% of everything on earth? In fact, why does Satan even have any say at all in matters of men?

Well, it's this: when sin entered the world (through disobediance to God), man became the servant of sin. We kinda asked God to "back off", because we wanted to serve Satan (sin). God didn't have to, but He did back off, and has allowed Satan to buffet us, to make us sick, to bring hard times, etc. And...the rulership (kingdom) of the earth was temporarily given over to Satan. This is why you see so much grief, so much sorrow, so much pain and suffering, so much murder and killing, so much war and genocide, etc. It is not Gods' doing...He has nothing to do with all this horrible misery. This condition is not permanent. The day is coming when Satan will lose dominion over earth, and be cast into the lake of fire. Satan knows his time is short, he knows he can't escape the judgement of God that is coming....hence we see more of Satan's wrath and anger in these last days...
Having said all that, our situation is not hopeless, even though Satan is running amock. Because, we can, through prayer, ask God to intervene for us, and change a situation we might be in, and He will...
It makes me so angry whenever I hear someone automatically blame God for bad things that happen...when 99% of the time God had absolutely nothing to do with it...

Bud

Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,008,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
It makes me so angry whenever I hear someone automatically blame God for bad things that happen...when 99% of the time God had absolutely nothing to do with it...

Bud
People don't blame god for bad things, they're angry cause he didn't do anything to stop it.

But of course I am an atheist

Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
satan is only a suggestion, nothing more.
he cant actually do anything.
but people do listen to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality