Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,525,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I believe that, as a group, snake oil salesmen have been around for a long, long time. eons ago someone figured out that, with the right bait, ie. claiming to have a knowledge of a diety, and what it wants, and what it can do to us if it doesn't get what it wants, this notion was sold to some somewhat unsophisticated individuals. Theological blackmail in its' earliest form. I suspect it may still exist today as well, passing the plate for your money because the preacher knows exactly what to do with that money to make this goddish thingy happy so no more raining toads, rivers of blood, mass extinctions of first-borns, plagues of boils, et al. Nietzsche may well have been right, and some still continue paying tribute, because the preacher keeps asking for it.

ahhhh, poor Nietzsche! you know how tragically his "life" ended...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dawn View Post
I would like to hear any theories out there on why we have developed this need for religion. What is it about us humans that has created this need to believe in a higher power? Is it a residue of an unscientific world trying desperately to explain its existence? Or does it go deeper. Does society need the moral compass that religion claims to provide? Are we evolving beyond the need for religion?

We are evolving, but for the worse, not the better...so yes society needs a moral compass...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,525,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
We are evolving, but for the worse, not the better...so yes society needs a moral compass...
yes! but humanity "before" society...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times
Quote:
I would like to hear any theories out there on why we have developed this need for religion. What is it about us humans that has created this need to believe in a higher power? Is it a residue of an unscientific world trying desperately to explain its existence? Or does it go deeper. Does society need the moral compass that religion claims to provide? Are we evolving beyond the need for religion?
I do believe we are evolving beyond the need for religion in its current form. However, that doesn't mean that religion is irrelevant. Far from it. I think we are finding that many of the world's great religions are really more similar than different. Sometimes the methods they use to teach people things are different, but the core concepts are the same.

Psychologists and health professionals are also finding out that those who attend religious services on a weekly basis are happier and healthier on average than their non religious peers.

I recommend reading The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky for more (link below).

Amazon.com: The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want: Sonja Lyubomirsky: Books

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,795,127 times
Quote:
Being someone who believes in the spiritual, my belief is that spirituality is part of the essence of every human being, so we cannot "evolve" out of it. It would be like evolving out of having a mind or a body, it is that integral to our beings.

Everyone has a religion of sorts. Everyone at some point must acknowledge a higher power, a power greater than themselves. It may not be a traditional "religion"; it may be simply a belief that the laws of the universe are greater than our individual beings (or even our collective being as humanity). But the acknowledgment of greater powers beyond our capacity to understand and harness lies within each person.

Therefore, we cannot evolve past such an acknowledgement. That is, unless (or until) the day comes that we are in complete power over everything in our world(s). Philosophically, this can't happen. I can not control everything in my world while someone else does the same if our world is the same. One of us will need to acquiesce control to the other, or usurp control from the other. There is always a "higher power". No need to worry about the philosophical ramifications, however, as "nature" - the physical world - is far from being harnessed with complete control by human beings.

People manifest their acknowledgment of "higher power" by attributing it to God, or gods, or spiritual forces, or even just "nature" and the physical world and universe which binds our capabilities. The foundation of such acknowledgment is a spiritual one, as I see it; however, if one wants to believe that it is a physical one, so be it, as it does not erase the fact that there is a "higher power".

Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,352,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There is something inside each person that makes him want to know his Creator. That has always been and will always be until the return of Christ to the earth. I am posting on a thread with many confused people.
I'm not confused. I'm certain that no zombies or ghosts are going to come to Earth and will all the evil people. Sorry. I'm pretty certain that religion is a bunch of BS that was originally meant for positive reasons but was hijacked by power-hungry despots. Millions were murdered in the name of Christ.

And what makes you so arrogant to think that you are right and so many billions who do not follow your dogma are wrong? Why is it that we are the confused ones when we're the ones who only believe in facts and not fairy tales and imaginary friends?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM

131 posts, read 214,754 times
In the last 10,000 years, our brains (biologically) haven't evolved enough to make a difference .

Logic, Reason, Knowledge has helped us tremendiously, but a little pressure and all that instantly goes out the door, and we revert back to the animals that we have always been (if only for a little while).

Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 AM

61 posts, read 87,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Being someone who believes in the spiritual, my belief is that spirituality is part of the essence of every human being, so we cannot "evolve" out of it. It would be like evolving out of having a mind or a body, it is that integral to our beings.

Everyone has a religion of sorts. Everyone at some point must acknowledge a higher power, a power greater than themselves. It may not be a traditional "religion"; it may be simply a belief that the laws of the universe are greater than our individual beings (or even our collective being as humanity). But the acknowledgment of greater powers beyond our capacity to understand and harness lies within each person.

Therefore, we cannot evolve past such an acknowledgement. That is, unless (or until) the day comes that we are in complete power over everything in our world(s). Philosophically, this can't happen. I can not control everything in my world while someone else does the same if our world is the same. One of us will need to acquiesce control to the other, or usurp control from the other. There is always a "higher power". No need to worry about the philosophical ramifications, however, as "nature" - the physical world - is far from being harnessed with complete control by human beings.

People manifest their acknowledgment of "higher power" by attributing it to God, or gods, or spiritual forces, or even just "nature" and the physical world and universe which binds our capabilities. The foundation of such acknowledgment is a spiritual one, as I see it; however, if one wants to believe that it is a physical one, so be it, as it does not erase the fact that there is a "higher power".
Well said. We all have a belief of something greater than us. It's just a shame people have to rationalise it, build a belief structure upon it and call it religion.

As for the topic in debate, I believe that the need for religion stems from the education of society. If you were raised with religion, then its hard not to need it. If you were raised without religion and without the concept of an afterlife, what need would you have for religion? We as a society have no real need for religion but we are raised to believe we do. The evolution of these belief structures called religion into its many divisions and variations suggests that we are not evolving beyond the need for religion.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM

520 posts, read 896,507 times
First off, welcom to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make me a believer View Post
Well said. We all have a belief of something greater than us.
You'll have to clarify what you mean by "something greater than us", and in what sense that something is "greater" than us. But if you mean what i think you mean (a transcendental spiritual force), then no, not all of us have a beilief in something of that nature.

Quote:
It's just a shame people have to rationalise it, build a belief structure upon it and call it religion.
I'll agree with this spirituality is, to a certain extent, irrational in and of its self. But that does not mean that it detracts any value from the individuals experiences with it. It's also a shame that people build organized instituions that tell you your spirituality is wrong. No one has any cliam to another's spirituality, or lack thereof.

Quote:
As for the topic in debate, I believe that the need for religion stems from the education of society.
This is an interesting view, becuase countries and societies that are more educated also tend to be less religious. Perhaps you could elaborate your view point on this?

Quote:
If you were raised with religion, then its hard not to need it.
I was raised with religion, and have no problem not needing religion

Quote:
If you were raised without religion and without the concept of an afterlife, what need would you have for religion?
This is too broad of a generalization. There are absolutly people that have not been raised with religion, have no concept of an after life, and are perfectly ok with this. But this cannot apply to all those raised without religion.

At some point in our lives, every one considers their own mortality, and this is not the easiest thing to do deal with for some. There are some that accept the fact that they will die, and have no problems with that. But there will be others that are terrified of the prospect that some day they will cease to exists. This is where the comfort of religion comes in. With religion, death is not the end, and for those that dont want death to be the end, this prospect can be cery appealing indeed. Even some of those raised with out religion may need something to reassure them that death is not the end.

Quote:
We as a society have no real need for religion but we are raised to believe we do. The evolution of these belief structures called religion into its many divisions and variations suggests that we are not evolving beyond the need for religion.
I would dissagree with the bolded statement above. Surely it will not happen over night, but i truly believe that less and less people have any sort of need for religion.

Every thing that religion trys to instill in the individual (morals, ethics, life style, meaning, purpose, etc..) can be found and justified elsewere, even within ones self.

I need no deity or religion to justify my morals.
I need no deity or religion to justify my life's meaning.
I need no deity or religion to tell me how to live.

All of these are rooted in my expereinces in life, and not something that by its very deffinition is irrational, and that one cannot have the possiblibty of understanding.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 AM

857 posts, read 1,424,193 times
All I will say on the matter is allow children to grow up until the age of 18 without any religion being taught and see how many become religious. Religion is forced upon people and there is no other reason that it is still around. Allow them to read philosophy the bible the koran or whatever and develop their own belief, its a very selfish idea to believe your beleifs are so perfect and right that they must be forced onto another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality