Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,178,490 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling lucky here, FL is just an average. Yupee!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,987,763 times
Well, I don't find this all that surprising. Thing is, when people say "is religion important in your day to day life?" it is not the same as asking people "is a higher-power important to your day to day life?"

Faith in divinity and being religious are not necessarily the same thing.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,720,099 times
Quote:
It IS sad that the northern states are godless.
Do you have any idea how insulting this statement is? I am one of the most spiritual people you will ever meet. Every ounce of my being exudes a deep connection to the mystical. And yet, if someone were to ask me if religion played an important role in my life, I would say no, because I've reached a level by which I have tapped into the truth that transcends all religion and science.

Quote:
Why does the USA have to be so backward?
We're still a very young nation. The reason Europe has turned away from religion is because they reached a level of wealth and centuries of war and oppression made them realize they were better off without it. The U.S. is the only developed nation that holds onto religion. The major religions are tapping the undereducated / impoverished populations to maintain numbers. But our relative youth, peace, and prosperity has prevented us from facing the kind of strife that Europe did.

I actually think it's a great aspect of our culture that this quest for the deeper truth (as bastardized as it has become through fundamentalism) remains strong despite our wealth.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 PM

706 posts, read 1,243,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Frankly I'm surprised Kentucky's not higher on the list. I do love my state, but plenty of my friends tell me I do not belong here. lol

At first, like you, I was completely surprised that it wasn't either, but now that I think about it, I am not surprised at all. The word "religion" has a negative connotation amongst the evangelical/fundamentalist demographic in Ky.

Had the question in that survey substituted "Jesus" for the word "Religion", then Kentucky unquestionably would have been at the top.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,879 times
Kind of wish California was lower on the list. But, people are pretty mellow for the most part. Most religious people don't bother me. Some do. Some are lame. Others, like my really good friend, does not try to convert. He accepts science as science and religion as religion and realizes that it is his own personal choice. So I'm okay with that. I think that's the majority of religous people in California.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,209,483 times
I'm not all that suprise my state(Illinois) is not at the top ten most religious. Every list I see, Illinois is never in the top or least, we are always in the middle. I guess thats why Illinois is considered the most average state in the country.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,720,099 times
^
I thought that honor went to Missouri. I mean... it's Missouri! You all at least have Chicago and Lake Michigan.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^
I thought that honor went to Missouri. I mean... it's Missouri! You all at least have Chicago and Lake Michigan.
IL being the most average goes back to an old marketing concept..."Well if it works in Peoria, it'll work in the rest of the United States". It is said to be the most average city in America...historically of course.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 AM

Sorry I butchered the quotation... "Will it play in Peoria?" that's the quotation.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:49 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,361,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
So people distracted with technology, materialism, and hedonism are less likely to be attracted to knowing their creator.

godspeed,

freedom
No, they are more likely to recognize what is true and what is myth or bull. They are also more likely to be educated, more likely to have been exposed to other views, and in most cases younger than the narrow Christian cross section of the poll. As for Materialism and Hedonism I see enough in all groups’ religious or not to see it is a problem related to the human condition. Technology is a positive which opens doors and truth to the masses willing to open their eyes and look. I understand religions fear of open doors and educating the masses. It is a sure way of turning sheep into thinking beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality