Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Again, the "It doesn't mean what it says" defense. I guess with this convenience, no argument can be made against any claims.
It does mean what it says. You are just trying to make it say something it doesn't because you want to disagree with it. You're reading your own meaning into it.

Find out what is really there before you make a judgment.

Please turn to yourself for one moment and ask yourself these questions: Am I reading these passages because I want to find out what they say or because I want them to say what I want? Do I want to win an argument or find out the truth?

You seem like your mind is already made up, no matter how much evidence proves you wrong. If that's the case, I can't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Technically there is no real evidence to prove anything completely. It is based on either faith that is it is, or lack of real evidence that it isnt. No matter what the Bible says or doesnt say does not make it a fact, it makes it a belief. Some people have faith in themselves and love and family and many other things, some have faith that there is a full bodied man in heaven waiting. As long as people have faith in something and it makes them happy, thats what matters.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It does mean what it says. You are just trying to make it say something it doesn't because you want to disagree with it. You're reading your own meaning into it.

Find out what is really there before you make a judgment.

Please turn to yourself for one moment and ask yourself these questions: Am I reading these passages because I want to find out what they say or because I want them to say what I want? Do I want to win an argument or find out the truth?

You seem like your mind is already made up, no matter how much evidence proves you wrong. If that's the case, I can't help you.
So, now "Joseph" does mean "Joseph" or does "Joseph" means "Mary", I'm confused.
Maybe this is apologetics at its best. Isn't this quite amazing that such an infallible book from such an omnipotent being requires so much explanation, twists and turns, jumping through hoops, adding words, omitting words, re-interpretations, and mystical definitions?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
"The Bible isn't relevant to me!" I hear this all the time. "The old testament is just a set of rules that were only meant for the people of that time."

"It's good literature, but that's it," is yet another comment I've heard. And what about the new testament? Is that relevant to our society today?

I believe that the Bible has never lost its relevance to the lives of people from the time it was written until today and it will still be relevant tomorrrow and the next day and so on.

I also believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God. Which basically means that God inspired the thoughts of specific men and gave them His words to write down. I don't believe they were trying to compile a book, they were being obedient to the Lord and writing what He was saying. If God could create this world, can He not also inspire a man's thoughts to write down what He wants to be said? God could've written the book himself, without men, but He chose men for a purpose. For a reason.

Do you believe the Bible is relevant for today's society? Do you believe the Bible is inspired? Please explain.
Hoosier_guy, yep sure do. It's very relevant past, present, and future time. It's those that hate the truth, and would love to systematically remove it from society, that do not believe this way.

Jesus is the "same yesterday, today, and forever" Amen! Of course the Bible is God's word which He totally inspired.

Good thread!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 PM

137 posts, read 435,823 times
John,

The reason there aer so many inconsitancies adn contradictions is because the original Bible was written by the Jews and the translation that king James ordred was translated/written by Christains.

That is why there are so many things that are "backwards" ( as I shall call it).

The reason Mary's lineage and Joseph'd were counted is because Mary and Joesph were cousins( not first cousins I don't believe, but still cousins).

The "y" cromizone of all males goes straight back to "Adam", now, "Y' cromizones were not known about back then, of course, but, this did not mean God did not say to do this or that a certain way and so people did this or that accordingly despite their lack of knowledge of the "y" cromizone.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,288 times
I believe that as time passes, each day the Bible becomes more relevant.

I do now believe it is the inspired Word of God.

If you had 4 witnesses to a car wreck, with one standing on the east side of the car, one on the west, one on the south, and one of the North, and they all gave their eyewitness account to the police . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .

each account would be slightly different, not only with where they were standing physically, but from their perspectrive, their reaction to things, etc.

Yet, each one would have inconsistences, they are would all be viewed as Eyewitness Factual Accounts of what happened at the scene of the accident.

Same with the Bible . . . . to some dawn is still dark . . . etc., etc.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
"The Bible isn't relevant to me!" I hear this all the time. "The old testament is just a set of rules that were only meant for the people of that time."

"It's good literature, but that's it," is yet another comment I've heard. And what about the new testament? Is that relevant to our society today?

I believe that the Bible has never lost its relevance to the lives of people from the time it was written until today and it will still be relevant tomorrrow and the next day and so on.

I also believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God. Which basically means that God inspired the thoughts of specific men and gave them His words to write down. I don't believe they were trying to compile a book, they were being obedient to the Lord and writing what He was saying. If God could create this world, can He not also inspire a man's thoughts to write down what He wants to be said? God could've written the book himself, without men, but He chose men for a purpose. For a reason.

Do you believe the Bible is relevant for today's society? Do you believe the Bible is inspired? Please explain.
The bible NEVER had relevancy. It was something terrrified rubes hung onto (and some still do), but relevance is not part of the Spec. Sheet.

Science has answered many of the questions that religion existed to answser. However, the central tenant of most religions (life after death). continues to captivate the fearful and craven among us who are unable to man-up, face mortality and accept it. Believe me, when the time comes, you will welcome the release from a spent life.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Hoosier_guy, yep sure do. It's very relevant past, present, and future time. It's those that hate the truth, and would love to systematically remove it from society, that do not believe this way.

Jesus is the "same yesterday, today, and forever" Amen! Of course the Bible is God's word which He totally inspired.

Good thread!
If you religion said that when you die, you are gone forever, with no existance forever in heaven being even an option, would you continute to deceive yourself, aka "believe"?? Please try your best to be honest.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I believe that as time passes, each day the Bible becomes more relevant.

If you had 4 witnesses to a car wreck, with one standing on the east side of the car, one on the west, one on the south, and one of the North, and they all gave their eyewitness account to the police . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .

each account would be slightly different, not only with where they were standing physically, but from their perspectrive, their reaction to things, etc.

Yet, each one would have inconsistences, they are would all be viewed as Eyewitness Factual Accounts of what happened at the scene of the accident.

Same with the Bible . . . . to some dawn is still dark . . . etc., etc.
Sorry, but this post made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Was there supposed to be a point to it.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post

If you had 4 witnesses to a car wreck, with one standing on the east side of the car, one on the west, one on the south, and one of the North, and they all gave their eyewitness account to the police .
...but if the witnesses were 'inspired' by an omnipotent deity as to what they saw, why would their accounts be different?

What you don't seem to realise, or rather 'accept' is that the inconsistencies in the Gospel accounts are not 'small'. For example....

Paul make no mention of a virgin birth, raising the dead or walking on water kinds of miracles. A little healing but no big "WOW" except the resurrection. Then 'Mark', adds a few miracles but no virgin birth and no raising people from the dead. 'Matthew' has a virgin birth and even more miracles. Luke adds to the virgin birth and presents a slightly more miraculous being. John takes it another step by making Jesus the son of a god, raising Lazarus and generally being more spirit than human. The later the source the more fantastic the reports.

It goes like this....
- Jesus dies.
- Paul adds resurrection.
- Matthew/Luke add virgin birth.
- John makes him a god.

If nothing else Paul and the authors of Matthew, Mark and Luke should have noticed something as phenomenal as the raising of Lazarus from the dead (especially Paul, that would have been something that he would have made a very big deal about). None even mention it.

John is the only one to record the miracle of Lazarus, a miracle so incredible that it could hardly have escaped the attention of Paul, Mark, Matthew, and Luke had it really happened. Why did they not make mention of this miracle? My answer is 'Because it never happened.'

If John is considered to be accurate history then we must dismiss the others as inaccurate or at least very bad history for missing such a phenomenally noticeable thing.

So to go back to your analogy of the car crash, it would be rather like one witness saying the car was black and another saying it was white, one says the car was travelling East and another saying it was travelling West, one says the car was moving and another says it was stationary....and yet another witness saying that there wasn't even a car involved...it was a motorcycle!!

How anyone can assert with any honesty that what ended up in the gospels is related to accurate history is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality