Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,021 times

Advertisements

Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Hummmmm, well, yes and no to be precise, yes, I have faith that when asleep the dogs will bark and wake me up if someone comes down the drive and to the house, I have great faith in my ability to create a wicked pot of chicken and dumplings. Am I religious? NO, not a bit, of the hundred of gods out there in competition for my belief, I disbelieve in each and every one equally, actually I really suspect they all just want the 10% that they seem to believe they can lay claim to, the money that they consider their due for virtually no services rendered other than running their mouths and trying to tell me how to live. I am not a believer in any of them, except in one respect, I do firmly believe that each and every one of these hundreds of dieties is mythological, and Paul Bunyan and Babe the blue ox are more believeable, and have more of my admiration than any of those other things claiming to be gods.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:11 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Religion require doctrine and rules, faith in the material world, in oneself or others does not...So no I think not.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,021 times
Default Nice try.

We either CHOOSE to believe in the existence of God/gods or we choose to believe in the NON-existence of God/gods. The same holds true for such things as the supernatural and whether or not there is life after death - correct?

As far as doctrine and rules. I think we would all agree that we all have certain morals and rules that we ALL hold to don't we?

As far as "faith in the material world." I'm not sure where you're going with that. What's so hard about believing (having faith in) that which is felt with our senses?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
We either CHOOSE to believe in the existence of God/gods or we choose to believe in the NON-existence of God/gods. The same holds true for such things as the supernatural and whether or not there is life after death - correct?

As far as doctrine and rules. I think we would all agree that we all have certain morals and rules that we ALL hold to don't we?

As far as "faith in the material world." I'm not sure where you're going with that. What's so hard about believing (having faith in) that which is felt with our senses?
if by senses you mean taste, smell, touch, hearing, and seeing, then I agree that I have faith in them, if you mean something we feel w/o sensory input, some form of universal bogeyman, then I disagree, I try not to confuse my imagination for fact, self delusion is a known human weakness.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:25 AM

140 posts, read 205,097 times
Rational people are not religious; religious people have some irrational religious thoughts.

Religion is not good for human societies, it divides people, it makes people killing each other for nonsenses, ... (you'll be the judge if I am correct on these points)

Old 02-14-2009, 08:25 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
Quote:
Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
No.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:30 AM

537 posts, read 292,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it be that we are all spiritual?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:34 AM

140 posts, read 205,097 times
Demographically, atheists (non-religious people) form the single largest group along the religion-matter lines. There are billions of atheists around the world. Everyone is a born-atheist before religious indoctrination brainwashed some weak-minded into religious people. The entire world population under age 5 are non-religious.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:34 AM

537 posts, read 292,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Rational people are not religious; religious people have some irrational religious thoughts.

Religion is not good for human societies, it divides people, it makes people killing each other for nonsenses, ... (you'll be the judge if I am correct on these points)
I think you are referring to organized religion...and I agree. Faith is different. We can have faith and not be religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality