Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,658,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
There are, they just changed the spelling to profits
LOL, good one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,946,635 times
Mockery proves the falsehood.

Churches are to be obedident to 'LET"
Prophets 'judge' what Prophets 'prophesy'
for their 'exhortation'. -

Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,235,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Mockery proves the falsehood.

Churches are to be obedident to 'LET"
Prophets 'judge' what Prophets 'prophesy'
for their 'exhortation'. -
Why? Is this not a mere façade to pretend that the one babbling in what its known as tongues is prophetic and the others to so called interpret?

I was one of these "gifted" profits and my interpretation and/or tongue babble ALWAYS was witnessed to 100% of the time. People are conditioned to believe this tripe and it appears uber spiritual when all it is is a front for nonsense. Most of these prophesies/interpretations are so vague and generally a paraphrase of existing scripture. It is made up on the fly.

The last church I attended, the profits would stand up and babble away and then the pastor said the word of the prophet is subject to the prophet, they should share with an elder first and then come up and speak into the mike so it could be recorded for posterity. Guess what happened? The babbling and prophecies ceased.

Did the pastor quench the hs? If you say yes then that means the hs is not omnimax as claimed.

That was a pretty good piece of EVIDENCE to show that this "gift" of prophesy was just another man-made tautology thing and was on no way real.

It pretty much flies in the face of the xian doctrine that suggests everyone has the "helper" and thus as Mystic pointed out, profits are not required. I do not agree with his reasoning b/c there are so many contradictions in the NT that nothing can be taken on face value.

It comes down to special pleading in that it is inferred that some folk are "more connected" to god than others which again flies in the face of god is no respector of persons.

If it were not so sad it would be funny. Odd that we do not see folk speaking in tongues (prophesying) in the marketplace (i.e. Walmart) with a complete stranger interpreting as it should be (were there any truth to the bible). By the same token, the greater things than these allegedly promised by jesus, we should see demons manifesting in the same marketplace simply by being in close proximity to a hs filled believer or someone standing up out of a wheelchair completely healed of para/quadra-plegia.

Peter's shadow healed a leper so this kinda proof is not unreasonable to expect is it?

Yet we never see it happen outside of a church setting. That can only mean one of two things.

1. Folk are coerced by way of the worship program and indoctrination

2. God only dwells in temples made of man's hands - whoops, that is NOT what jesus allegedly said now is it?

Is it not odd that the only folk that ever seem to be hampered/bothered by demons/satan are in fact believers?

I'll save you the pat answer of "satan already has you in his pocket"

However there is one prophesy I can offer which NO ONE can dispute;

You and I are both going to die (someday)

Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 AM

28,152 posts, read 30,145,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because Christ now abides with us ALL and His Holy spirit is available to us ALL within our consciousness to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts" so we would not need any man to teach us.
And the Holy Spirit communicates with all 2 billion of us so well that we we are all united in our faith. We all interpret the scriptures correctly and we all know what path we should be on to return to God's presence.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,400,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because Christ now abides with us ALL and His Holy spirit is available to us ALL within our consciousness to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts" so we would not need any man to teach us.
A bit of a meaningless answer to a good question. It is one of those stock religion answers that says precisely nothing but one can nod their head at it wisely when one does not actually want weird claims substantiated in any way.

More likely the lack of prophets is due to the reduced gullibility of the populations. That is not to say such gullibility is extinct however. One only has to look at how many people Sathya Sai Baba duped in order to see that we are far from "out of the woods" yet when it comes to being a species that is duped by woo, nonsense and empty claims.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,946,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
In the Last days there will be a prophet to warn gods people of what is to come. All through the bible God uses prophets to warn his people of danger. No different than what Moses did to lead the people out of Egypt. You must put who ever is claiming to be a prophet to the test. Is the person speaking of Biblical trues and is he leading a life that is aligned with Christ. Remember there is nothing new under the sun.
~ In The New Testament,

The Prophet Anna proclaimed Redemption through Jesus
to all God's people coming to Jerusalem looking for it.

The Prophet John the baptist came to make straight
the way of The Lord Jesus. Denying the religious.

Paul said to LET The Prophets speak & prophesy
Exhortation to the church.

But, what have we expected of the Prophets
God has appointed in the church?

- To proclaim our redemption through Christ Jesus?
- To make straight as smooth our way to The Lord?
- To exhort us as His body?

No wonder there's no satisfaction in false Prophets.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 11,399 times
Everyone can have powers of prophecy. Anyone can be a friend to God. Prophets tend to be the one's who think they are the authority over all people, and the one's that people wrongfully worship.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America is Hindu View Post
Everyone can have powers of prophecy. Anyone can be a friend to God. Prophets tend to be the one's who think they are the authority over all people, and the one's that people wrongfully worship.
Nobody should be worshipping prophets. I don't personally know anyone who does.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
A bit of a meaningless answer to a good question. It is one of those stock religion answers that says precisely nothing but one can nod their head at it wisely when one does not actually want weird claims substantiated in any way.
Sounds about right to me (your assessment, I mean).

Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 PM

13 posts, read 13,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
Why you don't realize is that we don't call them prophets anymore; Moderator cut: deleted Or you can read, Genesis Revisted and believe that we all came here from alien nations and that what we learned when we were dropped here is all there is.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-18-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality