Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
There are prophets. It's just that when they say we can't do what we want when we want people shut them down as crazy.
Who are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:52 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,952,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Who are they?
false ones today

Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,871,963 times
There are many prophets today they just don't walk around in sandals doing miracles etc. they speak out on many things like the environment, they warn man to change his ways or suffer from( plagues) the consequence for destroying the planet.
Prophets speak out all the time about the sin of war, greed etc.

And many of these prophets are sent to prison, onejust got sentenced to 3 months in prison
Jefferson City, MO—On December 10, a federal magistrate found Georgia Walker, of Kansas City, MO and Chicagoan Kathy Kelly guilty of criminal trespass to a military installation as a result of their June 1 effort to deliver a loaf of bread and a citizens’ indictment of drone warfare to authorities at Whiteman AFB.

And we have these 3 prophets

The Prophets of Oak Ridge | Style | Washington Post

Old 12-11-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
false ones today
Right. I'm asking, who?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
There are many prophets today they just don't walk around in sandals doing miracles etc. they speak out on many things like the environment, they warn man to change his ways or suffer from( plagues) the consequence for destroying the planet.
Prophets speak out all the time about the sin of war, greed etc.

And many of these prophets are sent to prison, onejust got sentenced to 3 months in prison
Jefferson City, MO—On December 10, a federal magistrate found Georgia Walker, of Kansas City, MO and Chicagoan Kathy Kelly guilty of criminal trespass to a military installation as a result of their June 1 effort to deliver a loaf of bread and a citizens’ indictment of drone warfare to authorities at Whiteman AFB.

And we have these 3 prophets

The Prophets of Oak Ridge | Style | Washington Post
Okay, I have no idea who that first person is. Will look it up.

For the Prophets of Oakridge link, so far I have read pages of disjointed, odd sensationalism peppered with, apparently, Bible quotes, a history of prophecy that was apparently mentioned retroactively in some book and a strange mental back and forth style that continuously yanks the reader from almost figuring out one piece, to yanking the reader to almost figuring out another piece. It's frustrating and obviously not journalism and the comic book style illustrations and pictures of the nun's hands are not exactly clearing things up. All I know after pages of this stuff is that it somehow involves criminal activity, a nun who doesn't vote, spray paint and vials of blood. And Evil Weapons. I am going to have to look that one up a well.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:12 AM

689 posts, read 550,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
You have no way to know them. Prophets are active at the time when witnessing is crucial, which needs to be written down as the Word of God for humans to believe to be saved. Now the crafting of the Bible already finished. Prophets, even when exist, will work silently and to continue to bear witnessing for God.

They will be active again when the very end comes, as hinted in the book of revelation.

Last edited by Hawkins; 12-12-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 AM

2,786 posts, read 2,684,471 times
there were no prophets after prophet Muhammad peace and blessing of Allah be upon him,
and it will not be any prophet because Muhammed was the final one ,
however prophet Jesus peace be upon him will descend one day from heaven to earth to perform some tasks and
stay for many years and then die for the first time.
"This day, I have perfected your religion for you,
completed My Favour upon you,
and have chosen for you Islam as your religion."

Old 12-12-2014, 02:04 PM

515 posts, read 1,060,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
Who says there aren't? Well it depends how you define prophets. In Catholicism there have been many saints who made predictions or voiced God's indignation etc. And then there are the aparritions of the Virgin Mary from which predictions come as well, like at Fatima

You be surprised at all the alleged predictions that have been made in Catholicism. One interesting one is the coming three days of darkness.

http://www.opusdeialert.com/3daysofdarkness.htm

Old 12-12-2014, 02:18 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,956 times
Bottom line is that humanity, in a general sense, has become much too knowledgeable about our world and the universe to be taken in by "prophets" trying to start another cult. There is far less ignorance to play with and exploit in order to get someone to believe you. Most people are jaded and cynical just enough to be justifiably suspicious of grandiose claims.

One interesting thing about nearly all prophets - regardless of culture - is that they all have a big, fat political agenda.

They have their own personal or cultural view of how the world ought to be and how everyone ought to live, so they begin prophesying about doom and gloom, disaster and destruction, if everyone doesn't do what they are told by the so-called prophet. In other words, these people are only doing what often works - using fear to cajole people into joining their little religious or cultural enclaves.

Rarely ever is there a prophet who says "these things are going to happen and that's all there is to it." No, almost all of them say, "A lot of bad things are going to happen ... BUT, if we all live this specific way and worship this specific god, then all will be well. It's not too late!"

Mmm, mmm, yummy fear. It's just too bad so many people are insecure enough to believe just about any hyperbolic doomsday prediction that lands on their mental desks.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:51 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,371,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I suspect it is because we recognize hearing voices who are not there is a mental issue, and can be treated with drugs allowing the person to live a normal productive life.
You say recognize, I call categorize. Someone wants to go out and do stuff outside the norm, they get locked away.

You say normal productive, I say drudgework. Is working as a waiter or a retail clerk actually productive to anyone?

A prophet is not necessarily one who speaks of the future or recites gibberish. The word basically means someone who has a vision of how the world should work (environment, civil rights, etc) and spreads it to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality