Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM

33,574 posts, read 37,198,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I believe that Jesus Christ is God. I believe that God is going to judge sinners and the only way to avoid going hell and eternal suffering is through the atoning sacrifice of Christ--available to anyone that repents and trusts in him.

This Sacred Square is different than other sacred shapes--you can disagree with me all you want. I am tolerant enough to allow for that.
I do not believe any of the above, including the threats...Very uncool square, I must say that I prefer a circle.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,641,992 times
An angel just appeared before me and foretold the short life of the Sacred Square thread to page 2 and beyond while the Sacred Circle thread shall remain.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:43 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,759,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Who will sit with me in the Sacred Neighborhood Bar? It would be alot more fun than a square and we could still argue about religion.
Make it a good Irish pub and I'm there. I'll even buy the first round of pints and nips.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,654,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
An angel just appeared before me and foretold the short life of the Sacred Square thread to page 2 and beyond while the Sacred Circle thread shall remain.
You brought up a good point.....christianity has a *reputation* of acquiring the rites and stories of pagan religions when they spread the good news to new areas. You know, things like christmas, mistletoe, easter eggs, All saints day etc...
Perhaps the OP is merely co-opting the sacred circle to make christianity more palatable to the natives?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,882,207 times
Hummmm, it may be more to the point that christerism is not exactly known for working and playing well with others. It's that old "it is either my way or you are going to hell" mentality.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,723,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wait.....isn't there a forum already just for people waiting for the heavenly transporter to beam them up leaving the rest of us b*stards to die painful and slow deaths here on Earth?
That's a good point. What is the difference between those people in that cult waiting for their spaceship to come with Halley's Comet and people in that religion waiting for their savior to come with the rapture?

Seems as though they derive from the same core values.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,759,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
That's a good point. What is the difference between those people in that cult waiting for their spaceship to come with Halley's Comet and people in that religion waiting for their savior to come with the rapture?

Seems as though they derive from the same core values.
Well, the comet-people are courteous enough to not come knocking on our doors...

...oh wait, they can't. They politely offed themselves, didn't they?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 AM

22,508 posts, read 19,304,533 times
Quote:
I believe that Jesus Christ is God. I believe that God is going to judge sinners and the only way to avoid going hell and eternal suffering is through the atoning sacrifice of Christ--available to anyone that repents and trusts in him.

This Sacred Square is different than other sacred shapes--you can disagree with me all you want. I am tolerant enough to allow for that.
i choose to stay away from people, places, and institutions that tell me how bad i am, that promote "judgement" "suffering" "eternal hell"

i find such environments to run contrary to my understanding of a god that is loving, kind, and fills my heart with joy and happiness

if something expresses itself as harsh and hateful and judgmental and divisive, it comes from humans, not God

if something expresses itself as kind, loving, gentle, accepting, and inclusive, then it comes from and express the qualities of God our Creator

May many blessings come your way.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 AM

22,508 posts, read 19,304,533 times
Quote:
Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I can take it. We're all adults here.

You can tell me what you believe...and there's a good chance I'll tell you that you're full of hot air.
It's something of an oxymoron to say "we're all adults here" and also "there's a good chance I'll tell you you're full of hot air."

But then maybe our definitions of "adult" differ
I read adult as mature, respectful communication

whereas telling someone they're full of hot air is not that at all

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,527,756 times
Squaring the circle - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

may be that it was not enough. still hoping.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality